Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Am I too cynical.
  • bruk

Is it just me or is the fact that an election is almost upon us and now is the time that Brown has decided to reveal his human side and talk about his family? Something he always avoided before.

allthepies
    Free Member

no, you're not.

angryratio
    Free Member

Politics is all bollocks.
    It's a panto. Whoever you vote for has no bearing at all in the grand scheme of things. The sooner folk accept this the better.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Brown has decided to reveal his human side and talk about his family

I wasn't interested, so I didn't watch or listen to what he had to say. I guess other people could do that too – whether or not, an election is almost upon us.

westkipper
    Free Member

No, youre probably spot on, but it might not be Browns own idea, more one from the the army of PR people and media consultants that politicians all have.

project
    Free Member

Brown crys tears for his child that sadly died and totally fails to cry for all the kids with no dads or disabled dads hes sent into a pointless and costly war in Afganistan, and all the Afgani kids that have been killed in the same war.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Brown crys tears for his child that sadly died

Did he cry ? ………….I'm really glad that I didn't watch it 😐

allthepies
    Free Member

Well the actual interview hasn't been broadcast yet (in full). But the news agencies are showing released "highlights" including Gordo blubbing.

aracer
    Free Member

Too cynical? Isn't that an oxymoron?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I wish it were possible to vote "no confidence" on a ballot paper. There needs to be a democractic and official way to say that the political system isn't working.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Sheesh you guys are harsh. The guy lost his daughter for crying out load !

allthepies
    Free Member

>I wish it were possible to vote "no confidence" on a ballot paper

If there were then I think you should have to suggest an alternative. What would yours be ?

tails
    Free Member

no bruk your not, I was just chatting to my mum how it certainly looks like he is using his daughters death as a vote winner.

allthepies
    Free Member

>The guy lost his daughter for crying out load !

Politely decline to answer questions about it then ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sheesh you guys are harsh. The guy lost his daughter for crying out loud !

I suggest that he does his crying in private. And uses his public appearances to talk about Prime Minister stuff.

People need to decide who would make the best Prime Minister, not who they feel most sorry for.

bruk

I felt for him at the time of his loss and can understand that it may take time before someone can discuss these things in a public way.

I actually had more respect for him when he didn't use his family and do feel that this is the action of a man desperate to remain in power being advised by PR and media types. What other principles is he willing to sacrifice?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..being advised by PR and media types

Personally I doubt whether PR and media types have advised him that having a good sob in front of the cameras will win him many votes. It sounds more like the sort of daft idea which Mandelson would come up with.

project
    Free Member

Paul Gasgoine cried,

most of the x factor has beens cried to get votes,

a lot of people cry,but usually in private and NOT FOR SYMPATHY and to keep themselves in a job.

Its very sad that his child died,but children do die,even Afgani children die or are killed,like i said.

Who crys for them.

Brown has not shown his family life all along until now and,and then only to get the sympathy vote sadly.

PTR
    Free Member

It is possible to vote no confidence, it's generally called a "spoilt vote".
    Whowever you vote for the Governemnt always wins.
    This time I expect that there will be a record low turn out, only signed up party member will actually vote FOR anyone, the rest who vote will either protest vote or go for the least worst option.
    We will end up with a Goverment voted for by 20ish% of the population, yet they will claim a great victory.
    There will be more schemes to get people out to vote, postal, internet, polling booths in supermarkets etc.
    What the politicians need to realise is that people are not too idle to vote, they want someone to vote FOR, someone to WIN, instead of getting a government of the least worse losers.
    I recomend a record turn out and "spoilt votes", lets vote for US, not THEM, lets remind the politicians that they are there to serve US, not tell us what to do and charge us for the privelage!

aracer
    Free Member

The guy lost his daughter for crying out load !

Well he should have cried more quietly if that was the cause.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

The guy lost his daughter for crying out load !

Politely decline to answer questions about it then ?

Exactly. I respected Brown more for keeping his family life private from politics, especially compared to Tory Blair and "Dave". Now he does this.

No-ones denying him sympathy for losing a child, but to suddenly start talking about it months before an election, is blatant politicing.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Whoever you vote for the Government always wins.

Why do people keep saying that on here ? ……..it's neither funny nor true. Governments often lose elections – the last time it happened was when the government lost the election in May 1997.

PTR
    Free Member

The current party in power may lose, but how often do you see a real change in political direction, certainly not in 1997, and by the sound sof it you won't do this time either. There will be minor new laws to appease the paid up members, but the big stuff never really changes.

Bing
    Free Member

You gotta love politics! 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..how often do you see a real change in political direction, certainly not in 1997

I saw a real change in 1997. For a start, the Prime Minister had to resign because the government had lost the election.

The "whoever you vote for the government always wins" joke originally started as, "There were these two Paddies……." The joke being apparently, that the Irish are thick, and "whoever you vote for the government always wins" was supposed to be a stupid comment – not a political statement !

But judging by the amount of times it appears to be repeated on here, it would that some English are too thick to figure out that it's a joke, and not a serious point.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

are you missing the point of the joke (as its now used) ernie?
    Stop being a pedant, I dont believe for one moment you're not intelligent enough to understand the meaning behind the "whoever you vote for the government always wins" in its current context.

prettygreenparrot

I thought I was cynical but then I caught 'Newswipe' on TV the other night. It but my modest disbelief in perspective.

Woody
    Free Member

I actually had more respect for him when he didn't use his family and do feel that this is the action of a man desperate to remain in power being advised by PR and media types. What other principles is he willing to sacrifice?

+1

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Am I too cynical.’ is closed to new replies.