Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Am I old school or just plain old?
  • Stevie
    Free Member

I've always been a hardtail man. I love them, for all kinds of riding including DH. But recently I relented and bought a Specialized Pitch Comp, second hand but MINT. And…I just hate it. I cannot get used to it, at all. Is so efficient, so purposeful, so what the devil is wrong with me? I just don't like it, and this always happens when I ride full sus. I last had one in 2003 or 2004 and it was the same. Am I a freak?

soulrider
    Free Member

Yes

dasnut
    Free Member

you probably don't ride fast enough to warrant a full sus.

next.

Stevie
    Free Member

you probably don't ride fast enough to warrant a full sus.

next.

PFFFFFFFFFF. I ride fast enough to scare myself.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Took me months to adapt to my Trance when I got it.. Sitting down more, leaning back and riding the forks less.
    Now I keep twoting the rear rim on rocks whenever I'm back on my hardtail!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

You don't mention what HT set-up you're coming from. Also, what's your definition of downhill? Just going down a hill; or are you talking fast over rocks/roots?

I do a lot of riding on an '08 Orange Subzero with 180mm Marz' 66; the rest on a Specialized SX Trail (so FSR, but more travel than your Pitch). Yes, the SX Trail is less efficient when I pedal – that's unavoidable – but it's way more efficient on descents. For all it's a different technique I use, the SX Trail is a better climber than the Subzero. If you can't figure out how to ride a FS bike, then I would suggest taking lessons from somebody who does. Getting your stock shock PUSH tuned would remove some of its inefficiencies.

nickc

I don't like Sussers, and I've had some really nice ones. I understand, and would probably agree with all the arguments about them being more comfortable, and more efficient and faster, and better on rougher terrain, and all of that stuff, but for me personally I've always preferred how HTs feel, the lack of weight, the directness, and if I'm honest their looks as well.

Each to their own

Stevie
    Free Member

I ride a lot of different stuff TF, from fast rocky fire roads in Spain ro Welsh mountains to the Sussex Downs. My hardtails-Spooky Metalhead, Surly 1×1, Giant XTC. I was going to get a Blue Pig when I got the Pitch, but decided to try the Spesh instead.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The bikes you've been on are all hugely different to even a short-travel FS. The Pitch is pushing it that little bit further and it's no surprise you're feeling like you are. How come you didn't look at the Stumpy or something similar?

wwaswas

I was never sure about full suspension. I ended up with a Giant NRS – it rides like a hardtail a lot of the time but it is more comfortable ove longer distances and does descend better.

Maybe one of the Specialized with a 'brain' shock you can dial to feel less soggy?

In the end though, if you don;t find traction, comfort or dowhill speed an issue on a hardtail it's hard to justify the weight of full suspension I guess.

wormhole

old……….and odd! perhaps you are just not trying to like it?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Find some real rocks not fire roads then you will see what FS is all about! Fireroads peeesh 🙄 😆

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I know what you mean about possibly prefering the Hardtail. When I first demod a full suss, I was confused because I felt as if I was going really slowly on my regular trails compared to my hardtail, and I seemed to be pedalling on the downhill whereas I didnt need to on my HT. I asked the guy from Spesh and he said its because it just felt slower because I was used to feeling every bump etc. I now have a Trance and whilst I like it, I do miss the directness of my HT, so Im thinking of speccing up my Rockhopper Pro to get back to MTB duties instead of a city hack. And I do think a long travel HT does look better than a full suss 😆

mysteron35
    Free Member

Hi, your not on your own, not only can I only get it on with a hardtail, I've even gone backwards and am riding my old Kona's, but I am 44

Steve.

redthunder
    Free Member

yes+

alpin
    Free Member

no…. not old. you just have an aquired taste. i'm the same. i don't like FSers. too lazy an action about them. too indirect and sluggish feeling on trails where my HTs kick about and make me grin.

one mate has gone from riding a Giant ac2 thing to a 456 and is now getting the idea of riding the fork instead of hanging his arse out over the back all the time.

i don't think getting the shock Pushed will solve the issue.

emac65
    Free Member

I've got 3 FSers,couple of h/tails & a couple of rigids(ones a 29er) – They're all the same but different.If you know what I mean & that's why I likes 'em……

scottyjohn
    Free Member

The way I look at it, the full susser has been shouted about as the answer to everyones prayers, but it depends on what you prefer. It seems the consumer wave had only just got me onto a FS when all the mags were shouting about long travel HTs! And if dulling the bumps makes you go faster to get the same buzz, then all it means is that when you come off it will be more painful and damaging. So as a 40 year old, Im thinkin of headin back to where the grins started! 😆

Stevie
    Free Member

old……….and odd! perhaps you are just not trying to like it?

I do wonder if that's the case-am I being a bit 'Victor Meldrew'? But I think the 'aquired taste' comment pretty much sums it up.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I got my first FS (Merida AM3000) last year at the age of 44. I only bought it because it was cheap and I do really like it BUT, only when I'm riding trail centres or similar. On the local XC trails I'll take one of my hardtails every time.
    If you're going to learn to love the Pitch you've got to leave the XC Jeyhead at home and concentrate on the things the full susser is best at like bumpy downhills and generally taking liberties such as bouncing off tree stumps instead of looking for a line round them.
    Spend a bit of time playing with the suspension settings too, until you find what suits you best.

Stevie
    Free Member

I've had a few full sussers, started with a Proflex 856 and had an ATX 1, Sunn Radical Plus, Spesh Epic among others. I likes the Epic but found the geometry too long, loved the Big old DH bikes when I lived near an old quarry with MX jumps. But for general riding the hardtails do it for me every time.

miketually
    Free Member

I was going to get a Blue Pig when I got the Pitch, but decided to try the Spesh instead.

There's your mistake. The answer to "should I get the X or the Ragley?" is always "The Ragley."

😉

Stevie
    Free Member

There's your mistake. The answer to "should I get the X or the Ragley?" is always "The Ragley."

Hindsight is a beautiful thing….

fattatlasses
    Free Member

Am I a freak?

Yes, you wierdo 😉

Seriously though, I know plenty of people who don't get on with FS's.
    I ride a steel HT and FS and can appreciate where you're coming from. Personally, I think there's nothing like a hardtail for keeping your skills fresh – but also like the 'terrain taming' nature of my FS.

A few months back myself and another bloke were shown up by two fellas in their late 50's on 1980's hardtails. We were sessioning one of the Peak District descents on our 5" travels bikes, when the two guys came down on their old HT's – one was a fully rigid Specialized with pannier rack!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

i don't think getting the shock Pushed will solve the issue.

I didn't say that it would solve anything. I said that it would remove some of the inefficiencies of the stock shock. Unless he returns the bike, he's stuck with it; so having the shock tuned to improve the pedalling is going to make it much, much more comfortable for him.

At which point does "an acquired taste" become "too stuck in your ways to be able to learn a new skill"? It's easy to make excuses as you get older; mainly because every other thick-headed old bugger around you is doing the same thing.

oldfart

Well i got a full suss and it's taken me a year to get to like it !Thought it would never happen .Give it time .Still love riding the h/t as well though.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I used to think a hardtail was "not a proper bike" until I was forced to use one in summer 2008. After a couple of rides getting used to the skittish handling I realised I didn't need rear suspension at all 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Am I old school or just plain old?’ is closed to new replies.