• This topic has 58 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by _tom_.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Am I offending the gods of road biking by using flat pedals?
  • luketracey

I have now been commuting by bike for over a year and whizz along at a fair old pace. The only thing is I have never tried “clipless” pedals in any form.

Upon changing would I suddenly increase speed or is it all just an aesthetic thing?

I have a fancy carbon frame, wear lycra etc, these have all brought more speed.

Just made me think yesterday when someone stated a thread about how the shoes I wear perform as walking boots!

MadBillMcMad

If it’s good enough for Lee Fancourt – it’ll be good enough for you.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve been using them fine for years. I tried SPD-SL’s for year and noticed no difference in speed.

birdage

I use toe clips and don’t care.

ahwiles
    Free Member

(i reckon, etc…)

clippy pedals help, if:

you’re creaking up a long steep hill, it’s easier to ‘unweight’ the up-coming pedal, so you’re not fighting against yourself.

you’re spinning your ***s off.

if you’re chasing seconds, then they’re worth it.

if you’re worried about offending someone, get out more.

TheBrick
    Free Member

You will have to put effort into changing your pedal stroke to be come more circular. Lots of people have clipless but rearly make use og the benifits. If you ahve ever ridden SS of fixed wheel, you will develope the skill out of necessity! You mainly notice the difference when accelerating hard, spinning very fast and honking up hill.

brant
    Free Member

You’re definitely offending them.
    Good work.
    Carry on as you are.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Edit;
    There is a difference in efficiency between flats and clips. Flexi shoes, inability to pull up, limiting the effective part of the pedal stroke etc all lead to lost energy. Over longer rides or if performance is a factor then you would almost certainly notice a difference but you’ve got to be comfortable with it or its more likely to stop you from riding the bike. Until you decide to switch back to flats at least.

Do what ever you feel comfortable with. If you know someone who has a spare pair of shoes and pedals that you can borrow then maybe go that route and see if it suites you. I know plenty of riders who switch from flats on an mtb to clips on a road bike and they seem to manage it perfectly well.

Oh and what Jam bo says. Pedals strikes are not very funny.

stevious

Someone will be offended for sure but ask yourself this:

If someone’s life is so devoid of meaning that they have the time to criticise you for how you choose to attach yourself to your bike – do you really value their opinion?

As far as riding clipless goes, I find it feels faster and more comfortable. If you’ll get more enjoyment from feeling faster (I do) then they might be worth investigating.

kudos100
    Free Member

Toyed with the idea of clips for my road bike (can’t be bothered on the mtb) and then decided to stick some flats on and be done with it.

I love offending the head up their own arse roadie types (I also wear baggies)

jam-bo

if you are using big mtb flats, be careful cornering, sparking a pedal off the tarmac is a scary experience…

whitestone
    Free Member

I find it quite satisfying pointing out the errors of their ways to riders who don’t follow “The Rules”. 😆

cokie

Just do it man!

brooess
    Free Member

Try them for yourself and see.

I’m of the ‘if almost every other road rider uses them and all the professionals do too, then there must be something in it’ school of thought.

Personally I find flats really inefficient compared to SPDs – much easier to spin and spin with SPDs

MrNice
    Free Member

lycra and flats is an unusual combination. Clipless pedals and road shoes support your feet better which most people find more comfortable over longer distances. Personally I prefer the feel of float compared to sticky rubber stuck on pins but YMMV. I clip in for road and mtb but not on the frankenbike commuter

mintimperial

Run what you like. I’ve got some of those double-sided SPDs so I can ride my road bike in normal shoes or clip in depending on how I feel. Got orange reflectors on ’em too. And I use a saddle bag. I just don’t care, man, rock’n’roll.

whitestone
    Free Member

Sarcasm aside, I run a different system on each of my bikes: Look Keos on my road bike; SPDs on my commuter/tourer; flats on my MTB. All serve their purpose, I did have SPDs on the MTB but decided to try flats and have stuck with them.

Northwind

I don’t have a road bike any more, I built a really quick hybrid to do the same job because I don’t like drops… But I always had flats on mine. I like just getting on a bike and not having to go and change into Special Cycling Shoes. Comes a point people are so obsessed with doing things “right” that they’d rather put people off entirely.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I’d go for an Oval ring to compensate for using flatties.

I’m in similar situation but wouldn’t give in to clipped in.
    ### that!

m360
    Free Member

Saints with reflectors anyone? Work for me with whichever pair of trainers I want to wear that day.

I do use SPD’s on the mountain bike though.

badbob
    Free Member

…… ride a hybrid, and flats with toe-clips ….. done the cheshire cat a few times, cardiff velothon, tour de mon, etape ,

don’t care 🙂

chip
    Free Member

Wellgo mg1 flats on mine,

fibre
    Free Member

I use flats on the MTB and SPD’s on the road and cross bike.

I find SPD’s make it easier when you’re trying on climbs (especially sat down) and just generally giving it “the beans”. I also find my pedalling motion is more fluid and spinning works better clipped in.

I did my first 100miler (CX on\off road) on flats and it was fine, I would rather do stuff like that and general road riding clipped in now…

Give it a try and see what you think, then pick what you prefer.

retro83
    Free Member

SPDs are nothing to do with speed for me, which is lucky cos I’m slow as molasses. The reason i like them is that you can’t really slip off the pedals. Did that and broke my saddle and my gooch after hitting an unseen pothole and losing my footing on wet flats .

jonba
    Free Member

If you do go for clipless then I’d suggest mtb ones over road ones for longevity.

I switch over time. Currently on spds. Better on the singlespeed and means I can do extended commutes in summer. Flats on the other hand are better in winter on snow and ice when you might have to push or put a foot down. Also better for not falling over getting up the stairs to the office.

badbob
    Free Member

anyone checked out Lee Fancourt? 326 miles on a time trial bike in 19 hours and on flats? 😯

simon_g

There’s a GCN video that showed no difference in efficiency in most riding situations. Where you are at a disadvantage when you’re not clipped in is when you have sudden changes of power/speed like a sprint.

Gotama
    Free Member

Bad bob- that may be but he appears to be using speedplays on his latest lejogle challenge, make of that what you will.

ton

i rode 117 miles a week ago , on flats and five tens.

i had a go on a mates spd’s today with plans of trying them again.

i have just ordered some new 5/10’s.

funkmasterp

I have a pair of Superstar Nanos on my SS road bike. Just means I can throw on trainers and nip to shops etc. Use to use clipless, but fractured my elbow last year. Baby + no sleep = slow reactions. For commuting or general use I find flats more convenient.

Got a few midlife crisis road riders round my way. Clipless, super expensive bike and lycra all the gear,no idea types. I love going past them on a steel SS with flats wearing baggy shorts and a t-shirt whilst saying a cheery hello 😉

smatkins1
    Free Member

I run flats on my road bike… I haven’t been pulled over by the UCI yet.

MrNice
    Free Member

Got a few midlife crisis road riders round my way. Clipless, super expensive bike and lycra all the gear,no idea types. I love going past them on a steel SS with flats wearing baggy shorts and a t-shirt whilst saying a cheery hello

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No, it just means you’re badass.

funkmasterp

I take it that you are one of the men I have spun passed then Mr Nice? 😉 I just find it amusing that some people (small minority) seem to think that buying an expensive bike, wearing all the kit and following the roadie rules is key to fitness. Just go out and ride wearing and using whatever feels comfy. Pipe, slippers and a penny farthing. No point worrying about offending people. It’s all about the fun unless you’re getting paid for it.

All my opinion of course.

Have a good evening.

cookeaa

Ride what you like fella…

I manage to offend all sorts of rule makers with my commuter, fixed, rear rack and mudguards fitted all year round and rocking M636 pedals…

Nobody’s ever pleased to see it, utterly theft proof mind.

Spd SL on the “proper” roadie are noticeably more comfy over longer distances with the stiffer soled shoes and more positive engagement (IMO of course)… YMMV

scaled
    Free Member

Commuting in the depths of winter I’m much happier with my winter SPD boots on.

Shimano trail pedals on the road bike though, enough if a platform to wear trainers if I’m nipping to the shop, more often than not though my Velcro sod shoes are the closest to the bike and back door…

simmy
    Free Member

5:10’s with plastic flats with toe clips for me on the road bike.

I don’t like it that much to spend money attaching myself to the thing.

tomd
    Free Member

Well if your worried about offending the cycling gods with flats I’m doomed because I’ve got those funny double sided A530 Shimano touring pedals on mine. I normally use them clipped in, mostly for the benefits of stiffer soles and foot comfort but no problem with the flats.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I was just about to post about Grant! It fits neatly in with my personal cycling philosophy.

Clips are for kooks!

It’s just riding bikes. The more we try and complicate it, the more likely joy is to disappear, and the further we get from the original, primal freedom bikes gave us as kids.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Am I offending the gods of road biking by using flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.