Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Am I mad to turn this down?
  • shooterman

Right. Work in a horrible atmosphere. Got another job. Quango doing worthwhile work helping vulnerable people. Bit of a pay cut but there is a pension as as secure as anything can be.

Handed my notice in. Boss says he doesn't want to lose me. Offers me salaried partnership, another 12k and a car to the value of 25k. Do I sell my soul? One member of staff would never accept me as her boss and will have to go.

user-removed
    Free Member

Move on – I say that with no reservations, without knowing anything about you, and I would say it to anyone in similar circs.

IMHO.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

id leave mate – if youre not happy then more money wont make the job any better

glenh
    Free Member

Is a car worth 8+ hours a day in a place you hate? I doubt it…..

stumpy01

+1

You decided to move on for a reason. Would the extra money and the car make you any happier in your job?

samuri
    Free Member

You're working for a Quango and you're thinking of staying? That's not a risk I'd want to take. Governments getting rid of loads of them you know.

Move on.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

"Do I sell my soul?"

You already know the answer to that one…. 🙂

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Why such a massive increase ?

Are you essential to a current project that has penalty clauses ….

Usually in counter-offer territory an additional £5 – 6,000 is the figure, however you have your reasons for looking for a move and if a promotion will enable you to improve the factors you don't like maybe it's a runner.

Not enough info for answer your question properly.

uplink
    Free Member

If you're worth the extra money – why hasn't your current boss been promoting you?
    They'll do the same again

Not sure a quango is that secure these days though

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Leave.

Or stay.

Up to you and how you feel. 😉

It's the atmosphere you don't like – so would that change with a salary raise and a car? Part of me thinks it's a bit late for them to make you the offer to stay but that would probably be a bit unfair as they may not have known you were thinking of leaving until you handed in your notice. They clearly like you and think you are worth it (or are desperate to keep you as they don't think they could replace you quickly and cheaply enough).

RustySpanner

"Remember whatever the cost, you have to burn all the bridges you've crossed,
    And the Devil you've yet to behold is better by far then the Devil you know."

A very wise man called Josef said that. I reckon he's right.

BigJohn

Quangos and state pensions are looking vulnerable right now.

Worthwhile work with vulnerable people sounds great until you get professionally cynical "I'm slaving away on this miserable wage that's about half what I could have earned looking after these (insert appropriate insult)".

Stay where you are, sack the cow and enjoy life.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I'd say worth discussing the reasons that you are unhappy with your boss; if wanting to keep you this badly may well make some changes for you.

alexonabike

IMHO, above a certain amount that is very little, extra money makes nothing better. Leave and do something you enjoy doing instead of living for the weekend. Life is TOO short.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

How about taking the pay rise and promising yourself you'll re-assess where you're up to in, say, 6 months?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One member of staff would never accept me as her boss and will have to go.

I suspect there's an interesting story there though… 🙂

mr_krabs
    Free Member

stay and enjoy the extra money and company car. i wouldn't be looking to move to a public sector role at the minute.

GaryLake
    Free Member

The surprising truth about what motivates us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc

Trekster

Prepared to take on the extra responsibility, hrs etc that may/will come with the deal?

Is work/life balance more important than prestige of possible short lived partnership and frills(if any)?

tails
    Free Member

Thts a lot of money I'd stay and perhaps negotiate an extra few days off a year.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

salaried partnership, another 12k and a car to the value of 25k. Do I sell my soul?

I'd sell my soul for a jelly donut!

vinnyeh

Awfully large increase in pay and responsibility to just hand out on learning of an impending resignation,-even if you're on good middle management money that's a significant % increase- what's your bosses motivation to keep you? As said above, why haven't you seen reward for your work previously. , if you're a consultant or contracted out to a third party, he may see you as vital. You should be able to determine the why's of this offer, and what you'll be losing as well as winning.
    And again, can't put it too strongly- a quango might not be the most sensible move, especially if you're not in a position to be unemployed for long.

the-muffin-man

stay and enjoy the extra money and company car. i wouldn't be looking to move to a public sector role at the minute.

+1

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

As a partner will you have the opportunity of directing the company? If so you could set about changing the culture and thereby address the horrible atmosphere.

Your boss on paper looks to be offering 37k worth of incentives. In real terms it would probably amount to a lot less once the Tax man has had his share. Plus all the talk of Government putting up taxes…

Quangos are also coming under fire too. Will the one you will join be around in the long term? Is there a real need for it?

Oh, I don't know, I'm in a right quandary now! 😆 Do it on the toss of a coin!

Trekster

the-muffin-man – Member

+1

Might be better jumping whilst there are jobs around that you like. Wife and her current 20odd colleuges did, all before their respective Gov departments closed down.

Would you be able to/have time to enjoy the extra money?

mountainchub
    Free Member

I'd stick at your existing job for another one year – work as little hours as necessary to get by. Take the pay rise and stick most of it in the bank to buy a new bike, pay off any debt, buy a nice holiday or even some nice presents for people you like. Get the car and rip it to **** in the mean time. Then hand in your notice and go for a different job.

Unless of course your current job is the total pits, then it goes without saying get the hell out as no money is worth being depressed every day – it rubs off on those at home too.

soobalias
    Free Member

STW regulars would never recommend that anybody sell a soul.

perhaps a new saddle and tyres to revitalise it a bit.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'd stay and take the money.

Don't move to public sector right now it's an unwise move.

You may find that the new role gives you scope to make some changes and improves your working life.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don't need to read the other posts…

YOU'D BE MAD TO ACCEPT IT!!!!

next.

….mind you current cost cutting plans? hmmmm?

bruneep

One member of staff would never accept me as her boss and will have to go.

I'd stay. 😉

tinsy
    Free Member

Take the cash, do some part time feelgood work for free somewhere else you can be of benefit.

WIN WIN.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Could you achieve changes that might make atmosphere better?

Your old firm rang me today btw!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member

salaried partnership, another 12k and a car to the value of 25k. Do I sell my soul?

I'd sell my soul for a jelly donut!

LOL

FuzzyWuzzy

If it wasn't for the impending government slash and burn plans for the public sector I'd say shove the new offer. Personally though I'd take the extra money and stay put for the time being, unless financially you can afford to take the risk of being unemployed in 3-6 months time. Being in a shit but well-paid job is no fun but it's usually better than no job at all.

tron
    Free Member

My view is that your next employer will always tend to base your salary on your previous one. I'd take the pay rise then leave in 6 months – you've got a fair chance of being 10K better off every year for the rest of the time you're in work.

konabunny
    Free Member

will getting rid of the cow actually fix the atmosphere?
    is there any way to fix the atmosphere?
    will your boss or you actually get to fire the cow?

I've worked with a cow that ruined my workplace so I know how bad it is…but that's a lot of extra money.

Another thought: if he offered you that much to stay, doesn't that suggest you'd be able to find a job somewhere elsew with a better vibe pretty quickly?

DT78
    Free Member

Stay and make it your purpose to fix why the atmosphere is awful. Give yourself 6 months to improve things

If you fail, you leave anyway, no loss.

If you succeed in turning things round, fanatastic.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Where do you get to sit on forums all day?

Herein may lie your answer!!!!

br
    Free Member

Stay where you are.

But ask him how much the car costs the firm, and get an allowance instead – you'll be better off.

yossarian
    Free Member

stay there for 6 months and f-ck the place right up.

then leave

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Am I mad to turn this down?’ is closed to new replies.