Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Am I expecting too much? Warranty/Evans content
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

I bought a Pinnacle Team RR frameset from Evans about 2 years ago that was replaced under warranty a few months later after the paint cracked around all 3 joints between the alloy parts of the frame and the bonded carbon sections (top tube and rear wishbone). Corrosion got in and the paint bubbled up. Unfortunately the replacement frame went exactly the same way and 12 months ago I took it back. Evans then gave me the choice of another frame or get a respray done by Argos. I was told then that the frame would still be warrantied after the respray. I agreed to this as they told me that the problem was simply due to the joints not being cleaned properly prior to painting by the manufacturer.

Now this frame has gone exactly the same way. This time they won't warranty it as I'd decided on a respray! They say too that the problem could be caused by road salt. Not that I can prove it but it's my summer bike and I don't wash it was Fairy liquid either.

I reckon there is a design problem in that there are torsional differences between the alloy and carbon at the joints ,hence the cracking.

The guy that dealt with it all originally has left Evans so I've got little evidence to fall back on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Any documentary evidence? Anything in writing?

is it purely cosmetic or structural?

After this length of time and for a cosmetic issue I think you are on thin grounds for a sale of goods act claim

what is the manufacturers warranty on this frame?

Can you get a second opinion on the frame?

Is it worth the hassle?

Try escalating it with Evans – don't speak to the monkey – speak to the organ grinder. Everything in writing from now on.

I think your chances are slim tho. Just my opinion.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Thanks TJ, it is probably cosmetic, but its a bit of a worry with it being the joints that are affected. Its got a lifetime warranty.
    I'll escalate it when I'm out on a ride with one of their major shareholders soon in majorca. :0)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lifetime warranty then get on to the manufacturer or escalate it thru Evans. Evans / argos records should show that the respray was part of a warranty claim. If Evans got the respray done as part of the warrenty work then either the lifetime warranty is still valid or its Evans fault it is invalid.

Firm but polite approach to Evans next. Regional manager / complaints dept or something like

good luck

Again – just a sort of informed opinion – there could be stuff I'm missing.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Am I expecting too much? Warranty/Evans content’ is closed to new replies.