Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Am I enjoying redundancy too much
  • heresjonny
    Free Member

I have a family to support, I've not signed on, offically redundant 1 week although 2 weeks prior to that, I need to pull my finger out or is this a process i need to go through after 10 years in the same job. Will sign on, on Tuesday. CV is up to date and ready to go.
    Have signed up to swim the channel in september, give me something to do if nothing turns up soon, plenty of training to do.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had a ball time before last when I was unemployed – at first. I was single though and my outgoings weren't much more than £250/mo in rent and some bills.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yep – went out in July last year and spent the summe riding, decorating and then being a new father from August. Had insurance for my half of the mortgage and was really enjoying being around.

Then Christmas came and the burden started to get a little heavy.

January was about the worst month I've ever had to live through. No more than three hours sleep a night, serious amounts of stress and worry. I was an exploding heart beat away from demanding the doctor give me valium. Fortunately it all came good and I;m not back in work as of a month ago.

For god's sake don't get sucked into feeling it's OK. Get signed on, get support, get a plan for what you're going to do, maintain a routine that involves getting up and getting dressed and then assigning time to look for work. By all means assign time to ride and have fun, but make it structured around finding a job.

Good luck mate.

heresjonny
    Free Member

Cheers have looked for work, but trying to find specialized work in the local area will be hard, my wife works evenings from about 4pm-7pm when I used to get home, so hours could be a problem. I either have to get paid less work locally, or travel (London), get paid loads more than I was on, so either my wife does'nt have to work or cover extra child care costs. I can probably get a year out of my settlement money, but I have a nagging feeling a year could go very quickly, if the past 3 weeks are anything to go by.
    I am definatley enjoying it, and not once sat around watching TV, I've got a list as long as my arm, of the jobs that never get done. I get to take the kids to nursery, and swimming lessons which is fab, whilst also biking, swimming and kayaking more than ever.

kaesae
    Free Member

I would have a good think about what you want to do, at the end of the day no one can blame you for not working just now.

Good luck with what ever you decide and it's good that your positive about life.

Go biking a lot, just incase your new job has long hours.

Ridefree!

naokfreek
    Free Member

Yeh..be sensible about stuff but take it easy for a while..i would.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Am I enjoying redundancy too much’ is closed to new replies.