Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Am I breaking any laws (libel etc) if……
  • marsdenman
    Free Member

…. I include a circle of friends on the circulation list of an e-mail to a friend who owes me money…..?

By friend I am talking about a fellow profesional, one a group that became friends over the course of a mentoring course this last year or so and by 'circle of friends' i mean the other professionals on the course as we do all keep in touch?

Amount is 'nominal' but we're talking hundreds, not tens, so its not money I can afford to miss – especially in year one of business, let alone between friends – So, persistent fobbing off, including giving me a part payment by CC with agreement to take the balance a fortnight later, only for me to try to take the balance, only to find the card had been cancelled is really peeving me off, just sent a polite e-mail, having been fobbed off again on the phone by admin girl, requesting payment.
    Not really expecting a positive response so considering my next move – hence the thoughts of the e-mail to all to perhaps shame them into paying…..
    Ta
    Chris

just realised, this seems pretty silly really – but hey, I'm just a bit peeved about it – oh, and much too far away to go pee in their shoes…… 😉

ourmaninthenorth

Well, if you are concerned about libelling the person by teling teh remaining members of your circvle of friends, then you have already done so by telling us.

Libel is only an issue if you are not telling the truth. If this person does actually owe you then, apart from the general rudeness of opening the business between you to a wider group, then there is little – on the face of what you have said – that looks like libel (though I must admit I don't have a trained eye on these things).

thepurist

Solicitor's letter or small claims online – don't **** about with trying to shame them into paying. Business is business.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

then you have already done so by telling us

not until the person is named…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SFB is correct – and its not libel if it is true or could be considered fair comment.

I would write giving him a short time to pay – then go for small claims court – assuming you have documentary evidence of the debt

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don't know what your profession is marsdenman, but would there be a risk that the rest of your peers would view such action as unprofessional, and discourage them from doing business with you?

marsdenman
    Free Member

Cheers all – seems purile, I know but yes, tis true, fair comment and I do have at least one e-mail relating to the 'part payment with balance to follow' mentioned above, and the CC machine statement will verify the rejected transaction……

greatape – the peers would just look on in bemusement….

So, I'll see if I get any sort of reaction from the current, polite, request and go from there – including a quiet word with a solicitor friend that MrsMM just reminded me of…

chakaping
    Free Member

Solicitor's letter or small claims online – don't **** about with trying to shame them into paying. Business is business.

What he said, except maybe just send a letter yourself detailing your intention to recover the amount plus interest if not paid within seven days, then go to small claims.

It won't look good on you if you send that email, although you might feel bound to warn your friends abotu your experience 1-2-1, in case any of them are working for the same guy.

not until the person is named…

I was wondering if a person actually has to be named or merely implied.

If I said a famous golfer with a Norwegian wife was having it off with a Scottish singer who shot to fame on Britain's Got Talent (untrue and too gruesome to contemplate BTW) wouldn't that count as well?

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

It does not matter if it is true or not, only that it will "lower the peers opinion of that person"

STW mis-informed legal advice in action again!

SSP

chakaping
    Free Member

It does not matter if it is true or not, only that it will "lower the peers opinion of that person"

You're right on the quote, more or less, but of course it's possible to defend a libel action by proving that what you have written is true.

And if it's a matter of opinion you could still argue you were making "fair comment" – which the judge would then consider.

Moses

It would be unprofessional & bad for your business to copy others in on the email, but I suggest that you write tomorrow to give him 7 days to pay, then small claims court. Document everything.

But do it soon. If he can't pay it may be because he's going under slowly, so get your money quick. Or he hopes you will & he won;t have to pay ever.

JacksonPollock
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ron-spencer-cycles-warrington-rip-off-or-what

This arguably may be an example of bordering on libel! 😉

druidh
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member

Don't know what your profession is marsdenman, but would there be a risk that the rest of your peers would view such action as unprofessional, and discourage them from doing business with you?

That was my first thought. If I was copied on such an email, I'd take a dimmer view of the sender than the alleged defaulter.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Am I breaking any laws (libel etc) if……’ is closed to new replies.