Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Am I being thick? (eBay content)
  • Jamie
    Free Member

I need a rotary tool for some upcoming car stereo shoehorning. Saw this one on eBay and not only is it the cheapest I have found, even better it is a local store:

eBay Clicky

Now, I offered £25 cash and would come and collect it. Figuring that as it was up for £27.45 the shop would be clearing less than £25 after ebay final value and paypal fees. Just got a reply saying they cannot do it for £25 and I just cannot work out why? I know they can do what the hell they like with their own stock, but seems a bit odd.

tonyd

Why not just go to the shop and buy it if it's close? The paranoid in me would suggest that maybe it's a bogus listing and they don't want you coming round but they look genuine enough.

Seller info has them listed as distributors, maybe they don't have shop premises? (ie could just be a warehouse)

Drac

The price is there at £27.45 some people don't want cheeky scamps knocking on their door trying to save £5.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Exactly…I thought there was going to be a 'Best Offer' which they refused. However you offered £25 to buy outside of Ebay. Maybe they don't want that hassle.

How much is it for sale for in the actual shop?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I went into the garage the other day after filling up with petrol. It was £1.17 a gallon, but I offered them £1.10. They refused. Don't know why…

But seriously, most likely it's what Drac said. Or maybe the 'shop' is close but their warehouse is a long way away. Maybe they don't handle cash at the warehouse, too many scallies working for them doing 'cash deals' for themselves with company property.

Plenty of reasons really.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

£1.17 a gallon

Where?!

Drac

They'll be the other reason they still get charged for putting it on ebay do they not so then selling it for less private they'd still pay ebay fees.

Jamie
    Free Member

If had wanted well thought out reasonable answers I would not have posted on STW!

Drac

Piss in his shoes.

There is that better?

gusamc
    Free Member

extra cost in terms of process to them (ie no shopfront etc – which is pretty common, no cash etc handling facilites on site…, al automated systems around ebay + paypal )
    they might not have it in stock, just 'pass on' the purchase once it's made

convert

Difference between what you want to pay and the btn price is about what ebay would charge the vendor but why should you pocket the total difference alone rather than share the saving with the vendor? Add the extra faff and I'd tell you to sling your hook too.

Coyote
    Free Member

you pocket the total difference alone rather than share the saving with the vendor?

£2.45?

convert

yep – top maths there!

Drac

£2.45?

£6.94

spooky_b329

Just go into the shop/phone them and ask the price, often you will find shops selling on ebay, then you look at their standalone website and its cheaper to buy direct as they don't have to cover the ebay fees.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Am I being thick? (eBay content)’ is closed to new replies.