Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Am I being overly optimistic? *Hope xc3*
  • acer2012
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought myself a pair of Hope pro3 XC 3 wheels and am now wondering if they are actually too light for my needs. As I weight about 69kg fully kitted up, I’ve never had this problem before.

Hope suggest a weight limit of 85Kg and say “These are lightweight XC & race orientated wheels…common sense should be used with regards to the type of riding they will be used for”. Clearly the weight limit isn’t a problem but the common sense bit might be…

I like riding Coed Y Brenin black runs but most of the time I’m limited to Cannock and the FoD (I have tried the corkscrew a few times!). I would say I ride fairly fast but am not a “floaty” overly skilled rider. I ride a 120mm Soul, put it that way.

Anybody got any experience with these wheels? Am I heading for a lot of wheel truing?

rickon
    Free Member

I had two sets, rode them at 7stanes, CyB, Afan, Brechfa, races…. Never missed a beat. Used them for a year and a bit, then sold them on here, and as far as I know they’re still fine.

They can be a bit flexy if you dont have the spoke tension just right, as I found out with the tyre rubbing on the fork leg when sprinting.

I was about 70kg kitted up at the time too.

Stop worrying, and go ride them!

campfreddie
    Free Member

I’ve been riding a set on a hardtail at 100kgs all up and they have been fine for xc duties. Not sure I would do anything g more hardcore with them though at my weight.

onewheelgood

I’ve had mine for 2 years. I’m about 75kg in my riding gear and they’ve been fine. Did bend the front in a crash that also bent the brake disc and the forks, but the lbs trued it up and it’s been fine since.

enigmas
    Free Member

I had a pair for around 6 months on my anthem, I found they were fine for xc stuff in the SW (haldon, cardinham, newnham etc), though they needed touching up a few times after rides on dartmoor. (75kg geared up)

They also made the bike crazy fast uphill, noticed a massive difference from the stock wheels.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Had some built onto dt swiss 4.2 rims. They were great but not strong enough to take being walked on by a cow in the alps. With a bit of truing I got through the rest of the holiday. Rebuilt the wheel onto an fsa rim, then the bike got stolen. Been thinking about getting some more.

acer2012
    Free Member

Thanks Guys, very useful. I’ll just man up and ride them as I would my old wheelset!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Am I being overly optimistic? *Hope xc3*’ is closed to new replies.