Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • am going to treat myself to some fish & chips tomorrow,what to buy?
  • racefaceec90

the last time i had fish n chips was over 20 years ago 😯 but damn it am going to buy some tomorrow (after doing my laundry/2 birds e.t.c)

what do you recommend?

it’s the chip shop in the market plaice 😉 in devizes,just in case anyone has been there.

chewkw
    Free Member

Just make sure the chips are golden in colour and the fish is cooked in lard or whatever animal fat there is.

Then add salt and vinegar … or lemon or ketchup or tartare sauce …

Hhmmm … think I need some soon although I am shallow frying some Coley for dinner today.

PMK2060

Good fish and chips only need salt and vinegar. One of my favourite foods when done well but so many get it wrong (usually those that also sell pizza, fried chicken etc)

edlong
    Free Member

1) Fish – if there’s a choice then whatever the locals are buying. IME the best chippies don’t usually have a choice.

2) Chips

Add salt and vinegar.

Why is this even a question?

danielgroves
    Free Member

devizes

Just down the road from me 😀

As the others have said though, a good place will only have one option. You can always ask them and see what they recommend though.

chewkw
    Free Member

edlong – Member
    Why is this even a question?

If you are eating fish and chips sitting down at home then you can have ketchup, tartare sauce etc, but if you are eating them on the go then salt and vinegar only. :mrgreen:

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Plus mushy peas!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Lemon juice?? Never on fish & chips from a regular chippy, or tartare sauce, thats for Scampi or fish & chips in a pub!

Fish should/will be either cod or haddock, chips WILL be fried in beef dripping & the ONLY things to add are salt & vinegar.
    That’s it, don’t mess around with something that’s already right.

matther01
    Free Member

Skate wing

chewkw
    Free Member

Trailrider Jim – Member

Plus mushy peas!

No. That is the wrong colour to go with Fish & Chips. Also there is no lard in mushy peas. 😆

Bregante

the last time i had fish n chips was over 20 years ago

You’re dead inside.

racefaceec90

ah didn’t realize you didn’t have a choice of fish 😳 (see above 20 years ago 😉

geoffj

I had proper North West fish and chips from the A1 (Greek) Chippie in Horwich.
    No pissing around waiting for them to cook (like you have to in parts of Scotland) and they were blooooody lovely.

BigJohn

I like a scallop instead of chips. It has different names round these isles but it’s a slice of spud in batter. Go for the fish that looks freshest out of the fryer.

stox
    Free Member

Don’t forget to get a battered ocean stick on the side
    (Yes they do them in my local chippy, no I’ve never tried one!)

thecaptain
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do it every time, but curry sauce is a great wildcard option.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

One of my favourite things. Fish Chip and mushy peas and scraps if you’re chippy does them, plenty of salt and vinegar. I must confess to having a smidgen of Heinz Ketchup though.

edlong
    Free Member

I like a scallop instead of chips. It has different names round these isles but it’s a slice of spud in batter.

Never understood this – it’s basically having a big chip, with chips.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

IMHO fish and chips arent worth it unless you are by the sea, sounds obvious realy, but the best fish and chips i’ve had recently were in Penzance (where they sold whatever the boats caught that day) and Whitby where the langoustines were simply amazing.

Fish from inland chippies is always a disappointment and I’m never entirely sure that whatever I ordered isnt a much cheaper substitute that they have just battered and over-cooked. Pie and chips for me and yes, i recognise the irony of this comment bearing in mind I am dubious of the fish they sell and yet choose an offal and trotter pie…

binners

Mushy peas is the law! As is loads of salt and vinegar!

Lemon juice? Tartare sauce? You need to go and have a think about what it is you’ve just said, young man!

slowoldman

Not had fish and chips in over 20 years? That’s not possible surely?

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Curse all of you!!!!!!!!
    *Runs off to get fish & chips, salivating*

HughStew

Never mind the fish and chips, I want to know about the 2 birds you’re going to do.

HughStew

Double post. Bloody phone.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Market plaice

Good work!

Be sure to get a sausage in batter to eat on the way home.

slowoldman

Binners is right about mushy peas too.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Tbh I’ve come to the conclusion that I like the idea of fish an chips more than the actual thing- always leaves me feeing a bit sick

Houns

Chips and a Spring Roll for me. Vinegar and Tommy K. Salt?! No chance *bluergh*

Bregante

Spring Roll

Pot noodle in batter.

No ta.

Houns

Ha!

They’re big and soaked in fat juicy, veg is nice and crisp too

Philby

Personally prefer haddock to cod – its got a slightly sweeter flavour.

Fish from inland chippies is always a disappointment and I’m never entirely sure that whatever I ordered isnt a much cheaper substitute that they have just battered and over-cooked.

– you obviously haven’t been to fish and chip shops in places like Otley, north of Leeds – some of the best fish and chips you will find anywhere in the land.

yunki
    Free Member

They still do rock and chips round here but then I do live right next to the sea..

Don’t get that!! cos it’s stinks of piss

Calamari and chips in my local chippy is lush and the squids almost as cheap as chips

cbike
    Free Member

Mo’s fish and chips in Acharacle. Don’t tell anyone. Better than Anstruther fish bar.

allthegear
    Free Member

Haddock & chips, washed down with Ben Shaw’s Dandelion & Burdock. Now that’s food, Heston…

Rachel

theotherjonv

We live on an island! No-ones more than about 70 miles from the sea! The fish has been on ice already on the trawler, it won’t make any difference if it has to be moved inland to reach the chippy. Just find one that has regular deliveries of fresh fish instead of bulk deliveries of frozen.

And haddock ftw.

pondo

Well, I know what I’m having for teat tonight. Cod, chips, mushy peas, salt (and it has to be salt from the chip shop, it’s not the same adding your own). Job done.

slowoldman

allthegear – Member
    …Dandelion & Burdock…

Mmmmmmm.

Or for a more adult meal add bread and butter and pot of tea.

Just find one that has regular deliveries of fresh fish instead of bulk deliveries of frozen.

Fellow on the telly the other week, from an “award winnnig” chippy, reckoned it was best to keep the fish frozen for a couple of months. Doesn’t affcet the flavour and the fried product has a better texture, (apparently).

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mushy peas
    and
    Curry Sauce
    and
    Tommy Sauce
    and
    Bread and butter
    and
    Top Deck Shandy/Shandy Bass

AlexSimon

If you like ketchup, can I recommend this:

It tastes like I remember heinz tasting (whereas it just tastes too acidic and vinigary now imo). It’s not much dearer really and is sold in supermarkets.

edit: ooh that’s large!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘am going to treat myself to some fish & chips tomorrow,what to buy?’ is closed to new replies.