Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Aluminium parts in carbon frames
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Seatposts and bars, I’d use carbon paste. But what do people use for headsets and press fit bottom brackets? Copaslip? Grease? Nothing?

Using nothing doesn’t feel right and I’d assume the resin would be resistant to most greases but what’s the smart move?

jemima
    Free Member

Grease seemed to be the consensus on this thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/headset-cups-in-carbon-frame-greasedry

andyl
    Free Member

anything tight fit that is supposed to be there for a while (eg headset, BB etc) then a suitable grease.

Something with a loose fit you are likely to move (eg a seat post) then consider fibre grip type stuff.

You can also use a suitable anti-seize in place of the grease (shimano stuff is good).

I would avoid copper slip personally, and some car greases, mainly as they are very messy but I would tend to go for synthetic type greases and a tube of the red PTFE stuff from Wedtite or the white PTFE stuff from Finishline won’t break the bank and are nice and safe and stay put well.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yeah, I appreciate that it needs to be petroleum free as that can upset some resins but beyond that, there’s no real guidance as to what to use.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Why not just use carbon paste again? It provides good friction whilst also being a breakable bond. Is the clue not in that it is called carbon assembly paste?

Jeffus
    Free Member

Santa cruz website days grease and not carbon paste…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium parts in carbon frames’ is closed to new replies.