Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Aluminium free deodorant ?
  • GrahamS

And who funded those studies?

Proctor & Gamble, Right Guard, Sure, Nivea, Lynx…

Honestly, I don't know who funded them, but I do know that:
    a) they have appeared in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
    b) the major cancer charities keep a very close eye on all cancer research and fund a great deal themselves.
    c) the findings have been accepted by peers and major cancer charities.

I used to live with someone involved in cancer research. At no point did any mysterious figures appear and try to steer her research away from particular areas.

juan
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Why's that ?

I believe it's called "Being British".
    PMWL you owe me a new keyboard

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

foolishmiracles – Member

"Lizards in human skin"

Actually David Icke says that they exist

Well that's good enough for me.

miketually
    Free Member

I used to live with someone involved in cancer research. At no point did any mysterious figures appear and try to steer her research away from particular areas.

That's what they want you to think.

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

"they have appeared in peer-reviewed scientific journals."

Which ones? – do yo have any links to them so I can have a read?

Can you say for definite that "Proctor & Gamble, Right Guard, Sure, Nivea, Lynx" havent funded any studies in these peer-reviewed scientific journals?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've known loads of people who exercised without having a shower and went through the day without using more than deoderant and all smelled just fine. I find it tends to be older people who smell the most in this situation and generally need to get in the shower straight away. As someone with a seriously keen nose (and a missus with just as keen a nose and no qualms about pointing out my faults) and a water-sensitive dermatological problem I've researched this area quite heavily.

I'm going with the "nothing wrong with deoderant" crowd, im not convinced by he reports saying theres a problem, but providing you're careful not to smell and are clean I see no problems using none at all or using ukranian rock salt with added bat drippings.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Which ones? – do yo have any links to them so I can have a read?

You could always check out the citations given in thiswiki article. Alternatively you could search the web yourself.

Can you say for definite that "Proctor & Gamble, Right Guard, Sure, Nivea, Lynx" havent funded any studies in these peer-reviewed scientific journals?

What does it matter if they have? Provided that this is declared it shouldn't matter. Just because research is funded by a large company doesn't automatically make it bad or worng. That is effectively an Ad Hominum fallacy.

kimbers

well avon do offer a fellowship for medics to study a phd at breakthrough breastcancer, here at the institute of cancer research
    though they dont really get involved other than to give money and do photoshoots with a pink labcoat
    Well over 90% of our funding comes from charity and the government, thats pretty standard for most UK research institutes

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/94/20/1578
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18829420?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
    infact the deodorant & breast cancer assoscaition is considered a classic example of the internet misconstruing facts and spreading urban myths http://www.usatoday.com/tech/webguide/internetlife/2002-10-17-email-hoax_x.htm

of course if you believe that the moon landings were fake and the 2 towers were brought down in a controled explosion by mossad i wouldnt bother reading any of the above

beside which aluminium salts occur naturaly in water so maybe if you have any worries id stop drinking water immediately and is drinking water carried in aluminium pipes, surely that would present a much greater risk?!

GrahamS

do yo have any links to them so I can have a read?

Don't really want to spend my afternoon doing research. Feel free to trail through PubMed or http://www.sciencedirect.com/ yourself.

Here's one to be getting on with:

RAGETH CJ. One step forward in proving, that underarm cosmetics do not cause breast cancer. The Breast, Volume 14, Issue 2, April 2005, Pages 85-86 [DOI]

And here is one supporting the case for suspicion (just to show I'm not biased):

DARBRE PD. Aluminium, antiperspirants and breast cancer. J Inorg Biochem. 2005 Sep;99(9):1912-9. [DOI]

Though obviously you'll also have to pay the fees to read them.

No, in fact I think I said exactly that. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if some major cosmetics companies were involved in some funding of some research. That doesn't make it invalid though.

foolishmiracles
    Free Member

"That doesn't make it invalid though" Agreed, doesnt mean its gospel either though

Thanks for the links

bassspine
    Free Member

…sensible answer
    Weleda (available in health food shops) you still sweat but you don't niff

…silly answer
    rub your armpit on a carbon fibre bike 😀

GrahamS

Agreed, doesnt mean its gospel either though

No research or proper science is ever "gospel", as I'm sure kimbers will tell you.

flowergirl
    Free Member

To answer the original question, try Bionsen deodorants.Aluminium free and the only one that doesn't bring me out in a rash. Boots and Waitrose stock it.

kimbers

yeah ime experience any fraud in science is related to overinflated ego and rarely to financial gain

apart from that absolute lowlife toad of a twunt who started all the MMR autism bollox to promote his own single jab vaccines
    whether he receives a retainer from the daily mail and gmtv remains to be seen

woodsman
    Free Member

I agree with mikeactually – actually!

zaskar
    Free Member

Dam will have to change deodrant spray now.

Will shaving the pits help stay stinky free?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium free deodorant ?’ is closed to new replies.