Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Aluminium foil question
  • gnusmas

Had a discussion a while back with Mrs G about aluminium foil. Remembered about it earlier when foiling the tray to cook food.

I know, it’s exciting. Please try to contain yourselves.

My opinion is the shiny side should face up to reflect the heat to help cooking. Mrs G said it should be the other way round with the matt side facing up.

Which way is correct?

While i am on the subject, which way should food be wrapped? Shiny in or shiny out? Haven’t had this discussion, just an added question for even more excitement 😀

Yes, this is what my life has become 😕

perchypanther
    Free Member

Shiny side out for hats.

yiman
    Free Member

I would say it’s irrelevant. Foil isn’t there to reflect heat, it’s there to form a “lid” and keep moisture in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I initially assumed there was a plastic layer making it shiny on one side, and hence your food would be less in contact with metallic aluminium. Some foils are made this way – on a packet of Polos you can scrape the foil off the plastic. However normal alu foil is not made this way, so it doesn’t matter.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Hang on.

Foiling the tray to cook the food? You are both wrong.

RobHilton
    Free Member

While i am on the subject, which way should food be wrapped?

To keep it airtight? In a tupperware box.

dashed
    Free Member

Matt side out to absorb heat, shiny side in to reflect heat back into whatever you’re cooking.

What I was always told and seems logical but never questioned the science!!

GrahamS

Foiling the tray to cook the food?

In my house that’s code for “Dear God this grill pan is minging but I can’t be arsed cleaning it so I’ll put some foil in it instead” 😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ha to be fair that happens here.

I’ve also had to fish the grill pan out of the bin twice because “its too dirty to clean”

And thats whete caustic soda comes in…

maccruiskeen

Its just an artefact of how the foil is manufactured. Theres no purpose or effect of the two different finishes

maccruiskeen

But what I want to know is… on a roll of sellotape how does the glue know to stick to one side of the tape but not the other when its rolled up?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDGtWen2Lqw[/video]

😀

meeeee
    Free Member

What macruiskan said.

From my extensive ‘how it’s made’ viewing he is correct.

In the final rolling they can’t set the rollers close enough together to get it that thin, so they take feeds from two separate foil rolls and roll them together under one roller set to its minimum thickness, then separate the two sheets once it comes back out.

Where the foil touches the roller it produces one surface, and where it touches the other foil gives it the other finish. However sadly I don’t think Mr how it’s made voice-over said which one was made by which so we can now argue about that!

spooky_b329

Shiny side in when wrapping up a bit of fish, shiny side down when lining a grill pan and cooking sausages as I reckon it reduces spitting and the flare ups/smoke.

tillydog
    Free Member

Shiny side touches the rollers during manufacture and may have traces of [food safe] oil on it*. Dull side is theoretically cleaner. Ergo: Dull side to the food. The difference in infrared reflectivity between the two finishes is negligible.

*Extremely esoteric reason for being aware of this.

shermer75
    Free Member

Which side to bite with your teeth?

rossburton
    Free Member

I read an article about this exact topic recently but for the life of me can’t recall where it was.

The difference in reflectivity is negligible, so don’t worry about it.

mechanicaldope

molgrips – Member
    I initially assumed there was a plastic layer making it shiny on one side, and hence your food would be less in contact with metallic aluminium. Some foils are made this way – on a packet of Polos you can scrape the foil off the plastic. However normal alu foil is not made this way, so it doesn’t matter.

Good post… 🙂

rs
    Free Member

shiny side in to reflect heat back into whatever you’re cooking

are you cooking with the sun?

skids
    Free Member

i thought the only point of foiling the tray is so you don’t have to wash it up

CountZero

I would say it’s irrelevant. Foil isn’t there to reflect heat, it’s there to form a “lid” and keep moisture in.

So does that make it a pie, or a casserole with a lid…?

This ^^

joshvegas
    Free Member

Bitvwasteful no?

maccruiskeen

are you cooking with the sun?

Actually – I hardly ever use foil for anything.

The last time I did in any quantity was leading a workshop about solar ovens. Quite a fascinating movement of designers and aid agencies developing cooking and water pasteurisation ovens for communities around the world (half the world’s population) who still cook on open wood fires.

Each design solution has to take into account the local economy (whether people buy from shops, buy from local cottage industries or make things themselves) the latitude and the times of day that people traditionally eat.

So you get fabulous fresnal-shaped ovens for making lunch in equatorial counties when the sun is high and clamshell shaped ones for making breakfast in south africa when the sun is on the horizon.

We made an oven from a cardboard box, a roll of tinfoil, and lemonade bottle and a coke can that could pasteurise water in about 30 minutes on a autumn afternoon in Lincolnshire.

In that application the shiny side probably matters.

gnusmas

This is why i was foiling the tray, the tray is clean. Just reminded me of the discussion we had so thought i would ask. Some interesting points though.

GrahamS

We’ve started using greaseproof paper instead of foil.

Not really sure why, I suspect it was all the Spar had left, but it’s much better for actually cooking on – no more random bits of foil stuck to the bottom of your roasties.

I guess it might also be slightly more eco than dumping aluminium in the bin?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ally foil is awesome for keeping stuff fresh in the fridge. Coriander, chopped onions & celery keep well for ages.

benp1

Is it cheaper to use a few layers of economy foil, or one layer of ‘spensive thick foil

eskay

tillydog – Member

Shiny side touches the rollers during manufacture and may have traces of [food safe] oil on it*. Dull side is theoretically cleaner.

Doesn’t the dull side then touch the shiny side when it is rolled up onto the cardboard sleeve?

Cougar

It’s dull side towards the food, Mrs G is correct.

I’ve read this somewhere authoritative a while back but I cannot for the life of me remember where now.

tillydog
    Free Member

We made an oven from a cardboard box, a roll of tinfoil, and lemonade bottle and a coke can that could pasteurise water in about 30 minutes on a autumn afternoon in Lincolnshire

They scale up well…

9600 mirrors, 3500°C in a few seconds

Project time! (might need a few rolls of foil…)

GrahamS

Wow that’s impressive! Surely this brilliant use of free-energy will be for the betterment of all mankind?

“The high temperature materials division use the furnace to evaluate radome survival during MIRV warhead earth re-entry along with investigating other material properties under the “high energy thermal radiation environment” frequently produced by nuclear devices.”

Oh. 😐

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Aluminium foil question’ is closed to new replies.