Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Alu spoke nipples
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Normally, I use brass just for the longevity. However, about to build up some new wheels and the DT spokes come supplied with alu nipples. It's for a year round commuter, is it really worth seeking out some extra brass nipples?

simondbarnes

is it really worth seeking out some extra brass nipples?

Yes, definitely.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I refuse to build wheels with ali nipples…..

nickc

yes, 'fraid so

coatesy
    Free Member

Been using ali for years with no problems, put it down to using copper grease on the threads, and keeping the bike clean.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just wondering as I took some wheels apart recently that were about 5 years old and the alu nipples on there came apart just fine. However, thanks for the feedback. Anyone know where I can get a bag of 2mm DT brass nipples?

cheers coatesy, I always build with copaslip on the threads and oil at the rim/nipple interface and I get mocked for how clean I keep my bikes.

Northwind

My Traversees have alloy nipples (DT Hex), 2 have split while riding allowing the spoke to come loose, a few more broke when retruing the wheel. Pain in the balls frankly, at some point the rear's getting rebuilt with proper brass ones.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Onzadog try Fatbirds for the nipples or Parkers, they come in boxes of a 100 or try LBS if you just want a few.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Alu spoke nipples’ is closed to new replies.