Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Alu chainring on singlespeed a bad plan?
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

In the process of converting my mtb to a ss. I have an alu chainring & a steel chainring to choose from. The (CNd) alu one is away lighter than the steel one, but is there any danger in running it rather than a bombproof steel one?

wwaswas

They just wear quicker but otherwise aren’t a problem.

People don’t worry about aluminium 1x chainrings.

swanny853

Snapped two teeth off an aluminium ring as a single piece singlespeeding once. Could’ve been bad setup, a one off dodgy one, or just a freak loading, but I stick with steel ones now. Last for ages- the last one I reversed to keep it going…

fenred
    Free Member

2.5 years of clay based sloppy winter grot on a renthal ring on my SS and no dramatic worrying wear….ride on! 😀

acehtn
    Free Member

Used E13 and Gamut Alu DH chainrings for SS with no probs.

If i was going dedicated SS only, then a steel ring for sure, it should outlast a Alu ring.

Maybe avoid super light Alu rings.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys… I’m still unsure though 😕

The alu one I have is an E13 G-Ring, which is supposed to be strong, but my husband keeps saying that it’s not worth the risk – not sure what ‘the risk’ actually is though? I mean, what’s technically the worst that can happen?

Having said all that, I doubt I’ll actually feel the difference (approx. 85g) between the two chainrings and since I’ll be running steel on the back, maybe I should just stick the steel one on the front and forget about it?

What do you reckon?

fenred
    Free Member

For the sake of £20 difference over X amount of use versus 100g of weight saving vs 10 x that of mud and clag….I wouldn’t bother over thinking it too much tbh 😉

breadcrumb

I run a Hope chainring on my SS, just cause it looks nice. No issues, got a fair lifetime out of it before it was too worn then I replaced it with the same.

I might make the old one into a clock.

acehtn
    Free Member

Worst that can happen 🙂 not involving kittens.

I am 85-90Kg, not so gentle, and will race a rigid v-braked SS in DH races against proper DH bikes and Orange 5’s

I have seen super fast skilled riders smash DH spec chainrings, this involves hitting rock gardens at silly speeds or coming up a bit short on a jump and landing and bottoming out in a rock garden.

In several years of racing DH and running a bashring i haven’t bent a chain ring. All the teeth tips show minor damage, but no failures, Bash rings show damage, but no ring failure.

I haven’t seen anyone with legs that would shame Sir Chris Hoy and strip off teeth through sheer leg power. Only from twatting rocks at speed. Alu teeth will sheer off, steel might bend over, you might cut the chain.
    If that happens, a bent ring and cut chain are the least of your worries. More like worry about the stats of the local hospital your in a helicopter flying too 🙂

Shaving off 85grams ! i wouldn’t worry, strength and maybe a cheaper steel ring, also that 85grams is low down weight, thats good.

Missed the Ice bike show this year, last year Gamut had beefed up the race rings by 1mm thickness as some world cup DH types had damaged rings in racing ( do you race world cup tracks ? )
    I think i have E13 G-ring as well, no issues.

If you can outpower Sir Chris Hoy (who maybe uses Alu rings anyway) or can stuff Steve Peat at downhill racing ( i beat him once ) then your worrying over nothing.
    DH spec Alu chainrings should be fine, steel rings will also be fine.

Superlight XC race rings will not like heavy handed treatment.

RobHilton
    Free Member

What acehtn said – but in a lots less words 🙂

acehtn
    Free Member

Didn’t harm any kittens either 🙂

acehtn
    Free Member

Have harmed…
    Myself
    Several trees
    rocks
    rear mechs
    pedals

and was forced to ride over Charlie the bikemonger for trying to sleep or somefink in an event track 🙂 (he don’t remember that)

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

For the sake of £20 difference over X amount of use versus 100g of weight saving vs 10 x that of mud and clag….I wouldn’t bother over thinking it too much tbh

Yeah, I think that pretty much sums it up, think I’ll stop worrying about it! 🙂

If you can outpower Sir Chris Hoy or can stuff Steve Peat at downhill racing

I’m a very light female rider who plans on mincing around in the woods, so I’m gonna go for a no on that one 😉

Thanks for the input guys – think I’ll put on whichever ring looks prettiest!* 😀

(*I’m not joking)

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Having just read through this thread again, I think I’m going to go for the steel one. Not only will it stop Mr. MM worrying but it’s also the prettiest and will match my rear cog. Happy days!

jimification
    Free Member

I’d say stainless steel – one of the beauties of SS is you’ve only got one ring each end so can afford to make it a bit more weighty…and when it finally does wear out you can run it the other way around!

takisawa2

These Goldtec eliptical Snake Oil rings are ace on a SS.
    It’s like cheating.

IMAG0335 by pten2106, on Flickr

gears_suck
    Free Member

What if you’re running a ss specific frame without a tensioner?

slackalice
    Free Member

Go for the prettiest one 😀

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

g for the prettiest one

Indeed I shall – steel it is! 😀

qwerty
    Free Member

I might make the old one into a clock.

I did it, done it, been there, got.the clock on ma wall.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ta Daaaa

shonky.

takisawa2

What if you’re running a ss specific frame without a tensioner?

That’s a SS frame (EBB). You set the tension at the tightest point. (At it’s loosest its still not loose enough to come off.).

DanW
    Free Member

I remember reading that you were looking at VeloSolo stuff in the past and that is exactly what I went for. Not all alu rings are created equal but the VeloSolo is reassuringly chunky and the teeth look very nicely machined. Been using it for a while now and it still looks new. Roughly 50g too which is under half the weight of steel. Looks nicer too IMO which is of course the main thing 😀

mamadirt
    Free Member

You’re only little so alu will be fine. I’ve run alloy up front singlespeed for years and worn the teeth right down, only swapping the ring for a colour change 😳 – I’ve broken chains but never snapped a tooth on a chainring or rear sprocket desite some serious wear. Just gone alloy on the back too – suckered in by the pretty colours 8)

paul4stones

I’ve done this twice. This one pulled the tip of the spider off too 8)

Broken chainring

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

@paul4stones – You did that and then put the same kind of chainring on again?! Yikes, you’re braver/more reckless than I’d be!

Mamadirt – you’d convinced me to alu, until I saw the photo above… now I’m not so sure again… If only I weren’t such a weight weenie, I wouldn’t care less about putting the steel one on 🙄

paul4stones

I have enough children 🙂

Reckless? Probably why I’m sitting here nursing a broken wrist!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Oh dear paul!

Hope you heal soon… though maybe you should consider getting a steel ring!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Alu chainring on singlespeed a bad plan?’ is closed to new replies.