Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alu Anthem 29as a marathon bike – still viable?
  • Kryton57

This is a case of new wheels on my current Anthem bringing it to 25lbs, or consolidating my two bikes for a more modern machine.

Foget the others, theres another thread on those. My Anthem has a 120 Reba so is slightly slacker than standard. i think its good to keep but would appreciate some opinion on viability of the bike itself in the modern age.

tinybits
    Free Member

You do realise they are still selling new don’t you?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why wouldn’t it be?
    Bikes don’t get worse with age, bearings etc and it will ride like new.

So what’s your actual question?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Krypton you are a marketing department’s wet dream 😉

Kryton57

The bearings have just been done after 2.5yrs 🙂

i’ve pretty much decided to keep it, but other than rhe slightly less than modern geo – chainstay length and HA – I’m validating my choice ny asking to see if ive missed something.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but other than rhe slightly less than modern geo – chainstay length and HA

Again back to the question what’s wrong with these and are they holding you back or are you holding the bike back?
    For marathon something with a bit more efficiency and a more comfortable position may be better by how much we don’t really know.

If you want a new bike get one and make up the excuses why the new one is faster 😉

Kryton57

I dont! i like my Anthem I’m just trying to ensure i wont be compromised from 99th to 100th place 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well there you go 😉 Can we file this with the other threads now.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Yeah, it will be fine. For the record, I’m thinking of buying a new “marathon” FS 29er right now, and an Anthem is top of my list, because its an excellent, purposeful, capable bike.

Just keep it, unless you really just want to get a new bike?

Kryton57

Righto. it stays. 🙂

cp

Anthems are bloody good, end of!

singletrackmind

What wheelset is on it?
    IME mtb marathons they are non technical and alot of fire-road /double track / bridleway type riding , with occaisional singletrack decents. So maybe a lighter tubeless set up with some fast rolling tyres will be all you need . You are not going to riding rock gardens or jumping tables or any enduro type riding

Kryton57

the Raleigh Alex/Promax ones. Yes, im looking for another wheelset, currently lookingbat Wide Lightenings to use as a race / trail wheelset to lose about 1lb.

adsh
    Free Member

I have this strange feeling of deja vu……

STW did test the Anthem about 3 years ago, Issue 89 page 120.

Even on high speed rocky and rooty trails it feels far less challenged than most other 100mm travel bikes, which can be a surprise to many riders who initially think the 71° head angle may be challenging on steep technical downs. It’s not – or at least not until things start to get really steep!

Compared to a carbon Canyon and a Spearfish split pivot

Of the three bikes here, the Giant was the fastest overall

For Marathon all you want is something comfortable, reasonably light and efficient. You have it, don’t ask again.

Kryton57

ive never read that article until now.

“It tackles climbs like a much lighter bike, it’s one of the best 100mm travel descenders out there and it’s capable of creating a massive amount of fun on the very best rocky,
    rooty, twisty, turny singletrack. If you have £2,000 to spend and you’ve never tried a big wheeled full suspension bike, we’d be hard pressed to think of a better way for you to spend it.

sold! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alu Anthem 29as a marathon bike – still viable?’ is closed to new replies.