Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Alternatives to 'normal' life…
  • Marin
    Free Member

If you’re under 30 work visas for NZ, Australia and Canada are pretty easy to get to mix work and travel. I’d say its worth the extra saving and waiting to have money to come back to. If you can rent your house and cover the mortgage do not sell it. You will blow the profit very quickly and have nothing on your return. I was away with the Mrs for 8 months last year and left my van on a friends path which made coming home and finding work again much easier. Travel now whilst its easy to rough it and roll over the problems that come up.
    Will you really look back in 5 years and think crickey I’m really pleased I stuck it out in a job Im not intersted in and had no adventures.

Edukator
    Free Member

The first time you move to a country I suggest having a job to go to even if it’s menial. If you can find a well-paid job to go to so much the better.

Joe makes a good suggestion, I worked for Solaire and had a great Summer. As for the house, Madame had a house when we met which I persuaded her to sell against the advice of her family. The geographical and financial freedom the sale gave us were essential factors in the train of events that led to our current very comfortable lifestyle, and avoided losing a third of the value of the house as prices crashed as I predicted.

If you own anything you wouldn’t go out and buy today, sell it.

mulv1976
    Free Member

The best time in my life was about 10 years ago – in my mid twenties. Decided to sack it all off and go travelling for 12 months with the mrs. It was slightly different as we had no mortgage at the time but I was fed up of a career in IT and wanted a change.

It was the best decision I have ever made. We spent a few months in Canada, Fiji, New Zealand and then bought a camper in oz and went wherever we wanted. It made our relationship stronger and some of other travellers we met were inspiring. Honestly the people you meet and experiences you have open your eyes to what is important in life. Not money, or the latest gadgets or possessions to show off, but people close to you and the memories you build.

It was whilst here and with an open mind I decided on a complete change of career. I trained as a chiropractor after reading about the wonderful things it can do and I haven’t looked back since. Of course I now have the house, car and two awesome kids but I think without having that break and time to really contemplate where my life was heading, I don’t think I would have any of it.

Do it. You only live once…

Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to 'normal' life…’ is closed to new replies.