Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Alternatives to Mallorca for road riding trip?
  • Fantombiker

Having been to Mallorca for the last few years for a week putting in some big miles on the road bikes we are now looking for alternatives. Mallorca is great but we know it so well it’s become boring. We will go in April, and need varied routes with some big climbs. Anybody got any suggestions?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Gran Canaria?

Good weather and plenty of climbing there.

Digger90
    Free Member

April’s possibly too early for big climbs, because the high mountains will still have snow on them and/or the weather could be iffy.

My recommendations:

1. Lake Como
    Stayed in/near Bellagio – did a lap of the lake (100 miles), rode Madonna di Ghisallo climb (a classic), the Sormano (ridiculously steep), rode to Lake Lugano and back, plus lots and lots of BIG climbs on both sides of the lake.

2. Bormio, Italy
    The Stelvio of course (from both sides), plus the Gavia, Mortirolo etc…

3. Pyrenees
    Just got back from riding Tourmalet (both sides), Col d’Aubisque, Hautacam, etc in the Pyrenees – also great but April too early for these, plus…

4. St Jean de Maurienne – has 5 out of 10 of the TdF’s top climbs in the vicinity: Col du Galibier/Col de Telegraphe, Col de la Croix de Fer/Glandon, Col de la Madeleine, Col d’Iseran, plus Alpe d’Huez is not too far away in Bourg d’Oisans

kcr
    Free Member

I know people who have been to Gran Canaria for early season training and enjoyed it. Lanzarote is a favourite of the triathletes, pretty windy, I believe.
    Benidorm is another option. Once you get off the busy coastal strip, there are lots of good roads for riding up in the hills.

taxi25
    Free Member

Another vote for Benidorm or somewhere near there on the Costa Blanca. Check out stage 20 of the Vuelta for ideas 😀

stevious

I’ve been going to Andalucia and staying with Cycle Sierra Nevada the last two Aprils.

LOTS of climbing to be had and reliably good weather. Also great tapas.

I’d avoid the Alps/Pyrenees at that time of year because of snow

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’ve done a village about 20km south of Benidorm a few times.

Get there in early Feb and you can’t move for pro teams.

lunge

Ibiza? Lots of interesting hills in the north.

poolman
    Free Member

Bmc base themselves in winter at marriot la sella just down the road from me, good rides from the door. Near denia, tag along the back. As said above loads of pro teams about but I don’t know where they stay.

Haze

Not rode in Gran Canaria but looked good from driving out there a couple of years back. I’m there next week, hopefully squeeze a couple of mornings in.

Lanzarote was okay, felt like I’d covered most of the island in s couple of days but could probably mix it up a bit?

crazy-legs

South of Spain. Orgiva, Lanjaron, Cadiar sort of area. Can get some lovely runs down to the coast but also some pretty mountainous terrain heading inland. We were averaging 2000m of climbing in 100km and you can easily get more than that!

Or Sardinia – I love the north of the island but not been for a few years now. 🙁
    Usually stayed in Alghero which is well served by cheap flights, a charming old town right on the coast so there’s flattish rides up to the north west tip, rolling if you go down the coast and bloody hilly if you go inland!

Harris
    Free Member

I stayed with Vamos Cycling Was there in March 2011. Really good people and the food is first rate. Good riding too.

tlr

Gran Canaria is great, probably more climbing than Mallorca.

Lovely roads.

mooman
    Free Member

Mainland Spain; Around Benidorm area is really good. Much quieter roads than Mallorca … and in spring its stunning to ride through with the citrus trees in bloom.
    Gran Canaria is a lot tougher than Mallorca, there just aren`t any easy riding. To ride the coast road is pretty naff; you really got to go inland … and its pretty solid climbing. But the views are tremendous.

greentricky
    Free Member

No votes for Tenerife?

geeweepee
    Free Member

Tenerife,Sardinia or Corsica.Going to Corsica in October,great scenery,very few busy roads and one great,37km descent.

davidisaacs
    Free Member

one for http://www.sierranevada.cc/roadbikehire/granada/, south of the Sierra Nevada, Cormac is a good person, advantages include:
    hills of the Sierra Nevada and Andalucia
    low traffic density and excellent road surfaces
    best climate in Europe, allowing year round road cycling.
    fantastic scenery
    lower cost of living than many of the traditional road biking resorts, such as Mallorca.

mogrim

Central Spain has some decent climbs, no snow by April although it might not be that hot… how long are you going to be visiting? Base yourself somewhere like Cercedilla and there’s enough here for at least 4-5 days without repeating too much, including a couple of cat 1 climbs most days.

neilthewheel

Sicily

MrSparkle

Girona?

Potdog
    Free Member

Tenerife has what I’m told by local roadie fiends is the longest continuous road climb from sea level in Europe. If it’s good enough for Team Sky, BMC, Tinkoff, Astana, Cannondale to name but a few.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Mallorca for road riding trip?’ is closed to new replies.