Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Alternatives to Flite saddle- for long hours on roadbike…..Charge spoon?
  • hopefiendboy

Hey All

I know its a bit like a what tyres thread, but after getting a pretty sore ass and numb penis on the roadbike after no longer than 2 hrs on my flite saddle, I’m considering trying some alternatives.

Any suggestions? A quick google suggests something like a charge spoon, but open to suggestions. Obv trying before committing is a bit more difficult, so dont want to commit mega money to a saddle that offers no improvement.

Ideas on a postcard….;-)

jam-bo

I use a spoon on my road bike and mtb’s. After 9 hrs in the saddle on sunday saddle was still comfortable, nothing else was.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I’ve just switched to a PRO Turnix – the anatomic version.
    TBH it’s been a revelation in posterior comfort! Plus no tingly numbness.
    Its available in 2 widths and rail options too.
    Is a it pricey in carbon mind…

redstripe
    Free Member

I hated Flite saddles for that reason, certaily couldn’t take an hour let alone 2.Best ones I’ve been using for sometime are Fizik Tundra (for the relatively low cost off ebay) and Arione on my bikes

jamiep
    Free Member

Spoon is too wide for me on road. Fine on mtb

neilwheel
    Free Member

I still use a Flite for short rides on a older road bike. Everything else has a Spoon or Scoop on it, so works for me.

I like the raised tail as you can alter the pressure points by moving forwards and backwards, easy to buy cheap used saddles in different shapes until you find the right one and then get new.

The Fizik guide works well for different saddle shapes that can then be compared to other brands.

http://www.fizik.com/spineconcept/

ton

charge scoop…………wanna buy a cheap one?

hopefiendboy

Cheers for the responses.

@ton- yeah, I’d be up for trying one out!

scud
    Free Member

For me always have the same now, SDG Bel Air on MTB, but for the road bike it has to be a Fizik Aliante, very comfy (for me) for the distance.

Trouble is on a road bike you are in one position for a long time, so doesn’t matter if you have the best saddle for you, it needs to be at correct height and correct place fore/aft for peddling and reaching the bars, otherwise there can be movement of the hips or other areas causing issuing.

Nobby

One that fits. Get your sit bones measured & take it from there.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What Nobby said.

I like Flites (I have 3) but hate the Charge I tried.

pedalhead
    Free Member

+1 for sit bones measuring. I got mine measured on a Specialized arse-ometer and have since used 143mm wide Phenoms and Toupes. Definitely get something with a cut-out so you’re sitting on your sit bones, not your sensitive bits. Numb jim-bob is NOT good for long term “performance” 😯

joeegg
    Free Member

Don’t ignore the quality of the pad in your shorts as well.

D0NK

I like (original) Flites, I also quite like my charge spoon-alike, quite similar I reckon so if you don’t get on with a flite maybe avoid.

TiRed

New Flite or Classic Flite? I find the Classic a perfect fit but the new is not comfortable at all.

lunge

If you find the Flite comfortable bar the numb penis you could try one of the newer versions with a cut out. The Flite Gel Flow ismore padded than the original and has a cut out to help blood flow to the region. I actually prefer the original but then it doesn’t give me a numb pecker…

ton

hopefiendboy – Member

Cheers for the responses.

@ton- yeah, I’d be up for trying one out!

I have a 1 month old one to sell. £25

teamslug
    Free Member

I had my sit bones measured and was on phenoms on mtb’s and romin on road bike. Was ok til I started riding longer 3+ hours. Problem with sit bones and scranus area ( probably an age thing as everything that was once tight is now saggy!!!) I now have spoon on all 3 and just done mayhem solo without many more issues than you would expect sat on a saddle for 14+ hours, if you are interested have a choice of 2 143mm ti phenoms and a 155 carbon rail romin for sale.

pedalhead
    Free Member

hmm I could be interested in a Ti Phenom…

DanW
    Free Member

Trouble is on a road bike you are in one position for a long time, so doesn’t matter if you have the best saddle for you, it needs to be at correct height and correct place fore/aft for peddling and reaching the bars, otherwise there can be movement of the hips or other areas causing issuing.

This…

Don’t ignore the quality of the pad in your shorts as well.

… and this

Shorts can make a world of difference as can the slightest of adjustments to saddle position and angle. For general soreness or numbness it is worth making these small adjustments to double check exactly what it is that makes you uncomfortable.

Chafing or cuts is easier to fix in some ways as you can normally narrow down the part of the shape of a saddle that is causing the issues.

If you do decide to try a new saddle then I’d look at shape above all else. Fit counts for far more than padding IMO.

Making a conscious effort to move around more and spend more time out of the saddle could also help rather than sit and spin for 5 hours getting constantly battered by pot holed roads

Suggsey
    Free Member

Recently had same experience so switched to a speshalised avatar, measured and selected for my riding style and position. So far 80 miles in two rides on it and absolutely no pressure, numbness etc and they do a 30 day no questions asked exchange if the first one you choose ain’t right!

flashes
    Free Member

Padded pants or bib shorts, I’m skinny and used to have real problems long distance, but padded cycling shorts on the Brooks saddles and Specialized padded pants under baggies on Spoon’s on the MTB’s work….

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have sworn by Spoons for years but just cannot get right on the latest bike. comparison shows that my old faithful has sagged somewhat around the edges and thus feels nicer. Just borrowed a Flite and it is so much nicer for me. Want to swap?

hopefiendboy

Suggsey-where is the 30 day thing offered?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Flite saddle- for long hours on roadbike…..Charge spoon?’ is closed to new replies.