Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Alternatives to Fivetens?
  • GW
    Free Member

Yes! Really!!

Erm, downhilling in skate shoes results in sore feet. On a hardtail this can take about 5 minutes and can be unbearable.

Shite!!

Downhilling in the wet with skate shoes results in feet slipping off the pedals.

More shite!

Skate shoes fall apart when you use them on the bike.

I can almost smell the shite from here!

Surprisingly enough bike specific shoes are better than a cheap trainer from tkmax

Yeeeuuuwww!! Define Better? it depends on the shoe, the rider the intended use and has absolutely **** all to do with the price of said skate shoe!

Northwind

MrGnar wrote,

"I disagree – I feel it's relevant because, pissing about a fireroad doesnt present a great challenge grip wise for any shoe and a slip probably won't result in a serious injury. The opposite is true for what we will broadly refer to as dh style riding."

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, you're describing a load of ways in which DH is different to trial riding as if it proves the relevance? While admitting that DH puts greater challenges on the shoes, which obviously means that a grippier shoe is more useful for DH. (as for "pissing about on fireroads", drop the patronising crap and you'll do better- me and my Vans did Fort Bill downhill without any issue, though veeeeery slowly 😉 )

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Shite!!

Try going fast. Maybe even venture off road.

More shite!

Try going fast, in the wet. You know, over rough ground. No seriously.

Define Better? it depends on the shoe, the rider the intended use and has absolutely **** all to do with the price of said skate shoe!

Let me see, how can I define better. Stiffer sole. Padded inner ankle protection. Lace guards to keep the shit out. Strengthened toe to protect your…toes. Grippier soles, for more grip?

These are the things I've come to value in a flat pedal shoe which I find lacking in any skate shoe. Maybe I am just crazy for wanting a stiff, grippy and somewhat protective shoe for mountainbiking.

I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make, you're describing a load of ways in which DH is different to trial riding as if it proves the relevance?

Well, conversely I dont see how having a really really good flat pedal shoe is a hindrance to the trail rider? DH is going to expose the shortcomings of a piece of a equipment more quickly than most other forms of riding. There's a reason why 90% of riders at any NPS race will be wearing 5 10s – they work.

Surely you want your gear to be as good as possible whether it's a midweek blast, an epic all day ride or hitting the local dh track for a few hours, no?

GW
    Free Member

90% of riders at NPS races are sheep

you're not crazy, just an annoying little sheep bleating on about how Gnar you are to a bunch of middle aged XC riders. it's a little bit sad really!

learn how to use a good flexible skate shoe properly and you'll never want the extra grip or stiffness of 5:10s, even riding DH as fast as you "think" you do 😉

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Oh the irony of that statement.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Won't a flexy skate shoe be somewhat inefficient for XC use – just asking like…..

Bagstard
    Free Member

I'm going to have to agree with MisterGnar, for full on DH riding nothing compares to the 5'10. I used Vans waffles before 5'10's were available, but the soles would wear out in around four months and the shoe body offers little in the way of protection. Maybe some people are sheep for buying them, but when I got my first pair five years ago they really were the answer to my foot slipping worries, even if friends did laugh at my 'special' shoes.

For all other riding I use my Air Morgan 6.0 as the 5.10's are a bit hot and bulky. The new freeride version are a good compromise though and will be my next shoe.

A decent thickness of sole is pretty much essential for hardtail DH (IMO)My feet were killing me after ten runs of the mojo track in very old, worn out 5.10's a couple of years ago. My pedals had some pretty lethal pins mind you.

jedi

gw, you knows it!

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

MisterGnar is on the money I'm afraid. There's a fairly easy test.

Take a hardtail down dunkeld, using skate shoes – try and stay on/not be in extreme pain.
    Repeat test with five tens.

Then disagree.

freeridenick
    Free Member

1 answer 5/10s….

The perfect shoe for big mountain riding….so much grip on the pedal and and just as important when you are hiking up stuff to get to trails they are SO much better than skate shoes or spds.

cookeaa

So coming back to the OP’s original question; as a cheaper Alternative to 5-10s, you’re suggesting 5-10s then?

Nobody doubts the awesomeness of 5-10s, just not everyone has the spare cash or is such a serious Downhiller that they can justify £80 on some shoes purely for woodland bimbling…

There are cheaper shoes intended for BMX rather than Skate use, they deliver similar sole stiffness to 5-10s but obviously without the stealth rubber will never quite match the grip levels of the 5-10s…
    I have to admit short of paying re-sole £35~ish the 5-10 Stealth Paint linked earlier looks like another halfway option….

So £20-25 BMX shoes + £16 stealth paint = £41ish sounds like a viable alternative for a not quite as good but getting there alternative to 5-10s…

benji_allen
    Free Member

What about Vibram soled cross type trainers, like North Face, Merrels, Scarpa, that sort of thing? I used a pair of Salomons years ago, can't remember what they were like though.

adstick
    Free Member

I'd agree that old school vans are a bit thin if it's rocky, but….

If you have problems with grip or hurty feet (aw!) in skate shoes then you need to work on your riding.

Fwiw I've gone back to es shoes for riding as my 5 10s didn't last as long.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

My 5:10s lasted less than a year before they had an irreparable hole in the sole. I'm using the less grippy Nike Morgens now with better pedals.

As for feet hurting. I've used all sorts of shoes and trainers in the past and never had sore feet.

devs
    Free Member

i just binned a pair of 5-10's, they looked fine, and there was loads of life left in the soles, but for some reason 5-10 impacts have a foot-bed made of cardboard, which falls apart within weeks.

Is this the older teddy boy shoes or the newer trendier ones? My old style ones are still refusing to die after 2.5 years of proper Scottish trails and weather, none of your mamby pamby Borders stuff (or even the gayness in spades further south), and I'm a big, strong, heavy bloke who is out nearly every day on them. I would have sent yours back personally or have I just been lucky?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

benji_allen – Member

What about Vibram soled cross type trainers, like North Face, Merrels, Scarpa, that sort of thing? I used a pair of Salomons years ago, can't remember what they were like though.

The grip of the pedal is unpredictable thanks to the tread patern of the shoe. Its hard to find the "sweet spot" and they refuse to stay planted on the pedal.

cookeaa

So coming back to the OP’s original question; as a cheaper Alternative to 5-10s, you’re suggesting 5-10s then?

Nobody doubts the awesomeness of 5-10s, just not everyone has the spare cash or is such a serious Downhiller that they can justify £80 on some shoes purely for woodland bimbling…

What's the phrase, buy cheap buy twice? Cheaper skate shoes are a false economy, especially when you consider AM 40s can be found online for 50 or sixty quid and they work almost as well as 5 10s..

adstick

I'd agree that old school vans are a bit thin if it's rocky, but….

If you have problems with grip or hurty feet (aw!) in skate shoes then you need to work on your riding.

That is just bullshit really. I suspect that the people who are lambasting me are probably just trying to justify dressing up like a teenager at the weekend to themselves or their clique.

adstick
    Free Member

Bullshit in your opinion….

In my opinion you sound like you need to learn to ride properly! I've been riding in skate shoes for years, I've tried 5 10s and I don't agree with the hype. I repeat- if your feet hurt or you can't grip properly, funny shoes are not the answer.

adstick
    Free Member

And you are trying to justify buying into what the mags tell you.

scruff
    Free Member

do 5-10 make handbags? 😆

grumm
    Free Member

I like my five tens – would have been pissed off at paying £80 for them though, got them on offer for about £55 from CRC a while ago. They are starting to fall apart a bit but the grip is great.

I find vans or whatever are fine, but when it's wet and you are riding on rough rocky stuff it's nice to have the extra grip you get with five tens. Definitely inspires confidence when you are getting the bike off the ground as well. I'm sure if I had better technique I wouldn't be bothered, but I don't. 🙂

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

adstick

Bullshit in your opinion….

In my opinion you sound like you need to learn to ride properly! I've been riding in skate shoes for years, I've tried 5 10s and I don't agree with the hype. I repeat- if your feet hurt or you can't grip properly, funny shoes are not the answer.

adstick

And you are trying to justify buying into what the mags tell you.

You're such a non conformist renegade. I wish I could be like you, down with the kids n'all. Unfortunately I'll have to suffer the indignity of wearing a product I feel is superior. I'll stick with the funny shoes and listen to excuses from people like you on the trail – music to my ears.

adstick
    Free Member

Ho ho!

If you're going to tell me my opinion is bullshit I'm happy to call you an arse.

krag
    Free Member

I've owned a pair of 5:10 freeriders for about 4 months now and not overly impressed with them to be honest. Using them on a hardtail with B54 pedals and I'm not getting that "stuck to pedal" feeling.

I did try a pair of impacts and they seemed a lot stickier but I couldn't put up with the 'special' look.

Anyone else had the freeriders and had similar experiences? Thinking of going back to impacts when these wear out.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

some good points being raised here.

bottom line is though 5/10 are good for DH ( but they are not the best looking shoe – who cares as all riding shoes get covered in mud any way)

but if you dont have a big budget some nice cheap trainers from TK maxx will be great. Some one on here suggested the same when I needed to buy my bird some shoes for riding, she got some DC for £20 that will do the job.

When I rode Skate shoes on some of the easier DH tracks like cwm carn I found them to be ok, but I was glad to have 5/10 when hitting some big euro rock gardens on my summer trip.

I have a friends who ride skate shoes with v8 or v12, but they wear shin pads. I dont like shin pads so I bought some good pedals, 5/10 and a nice set of knee pads.

oo00oo – thanks for that link that could be the answer to my aunts problem of having some walking boots that dont grip very well.

cheshmatt
    Free Member

I got some 5:10 Freeriders a coupe of weeks ago, until then I have always worn skate shoes normally Vans, but last pair were the Nike Morgan. The Nikes were pretty grippy and had quite flexible soles which I like and it seemed to help with the grip. I had tried a pair of the 5:10s on but they felt quite stiff – wasn't sure if I got on with them.
    But I started to get some foot pain using the Nikes especially when riding DH, and they had started to wear through on the soles so I decided to give the Freeriders a go (Leisure Lakes have got them with 10% off at the mo: Clicky )

Really, really impressed with them, they are a bit stiffer than skate shoes but the grip is awesome. I can’t compare them to the impacts, but quite surprised how much more grip they had compared to the Nikes (half expected them to be a bit of a let down after all the hype!) Plus no more foot pain and the toe area is much tougher than standard skate shoes which should give a bit more protection. Only downside is re-positioning your feet correctly, it isn’t easy without lifting your weight off the pedal. I’m currently using DMR V12s with a couple of the longer pins on each side, might stick the standard pins back in as they just wear the shoes quicker, and prob aren’t needed with the 5:10s, and should make it a bit easier to move around on them.
    Haven't had them long enough to say if they will last, but Feet First will re-sole them for about £35.

backhander
    Free Member

Cripes!!
    Thanks everyone. I have no doubt that fivetens are the best shoes around, but as I said £80 is more than I'm willing to pay for some boots to ride my bike in. I'm currently wearing running shoes on my V12s, so anything will be an improvement. I think I'll look at some approach type shoes as benji has suggested unless I can buy some 510s cheaply. I would love a pair though.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Fivetens?’ is closed to new replies.