Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alternatives to DT Swiss 5.1d rim
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

So, I just hit a rock…

DSC_0519 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

And I need to replace the rim. Instinct says to go for another 5.1d so it matches the front and I can re-use the spokes with no problems, but this is prime evidence that the rumours about DTs being soft aren’t so far from the truth.

So what shall I get?

GW
    Free Member

instinct says? are you stupid?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Beat it with a rock. that’s learn it

I actually bent back into shape one not much less bent than that – I have been keeping an eye on it but no cracks have appeared Just the edge folded over – it was still round

coatesy
    Free Member

Mavic, either 721 or 521, spokes may need changing though(compare ERDs on DT spoke calculator).

coatesy
    Free Member

Just checked, 521 is off the menu due to spoke length, 721 is possible if your spokes come up a touch short in your rims.Also worth considering a 321 as a cheaper option, it’s a 1mm larger ERD so you’ll probably get away with your spokes.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

to be honest, I don’t mind new spokes, that way I can get black ones to match the front, even if the rim doesn;t…

Mavic 521 is lighter than the 721, and cheaper. But the 721 is Maxtal which is supposed to be lighter and stronger. But its not lighter. Bizarre.

521 it is.

anyone got a spare?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

oh yeah, you can see in the pic the crack that’s formed from the ding to the nearest eyelet. That’ll not bend out…

duntstick
    Free Member

If you hit a rim with rock it will either bend as yours did or shatter as one of mine did in the past (spokes and bits of front wheel in a twirly mess assovertit stylee)

Replace with same rim and use more wind in your tyre gets my vote

yoshimi

Stick with the DT 5.1………I should have done, went for a Stans Flow to replace a very bent 5.1 on the front – can’t really explain why but much prefer my old 5.1. The rear 5.1 on a Pro2 still runs true after 5 years of 15st abuse and at this rate will outlast everything else on the bike.

Shackleton

but this is prime evidence that the rumours about DTs being soft aren’t so far from the truth.

Or that you hit the rock really hard? I’d replace it with another and maybe run a bit more air in your tyres!

GW
    Free Member

Mavic 521 is lighter than the 721, and cheaper. But the 721 is Maxtal which is supposed to be lighter and stronger. But its not lighter. Bizarre.

😯

Thanks for the quick reply. 😆

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Annoyingly, I was riding with my tyres much harder than normal. I let a bit of air out just before the incindent for a bit more traction(oops) but they were still hard. but it was a quite bang. 😕
    Luckily it didn’t happen last weekend in Wales.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to DT Swiss 5.1d rim’ is closed to new replies.