Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Alternatives to Croyde for UK beach holiday with a walk to the beach and surfing
  • big_n_daft
    Free Member

after alternatives to Croyde, need to be “nice”

Woolacombe has been ruled out

want to be able to walk from cottage to the beach, beach needs to have potential for surf (north coast Devon/ Cornwall)

suggestions please

wallop

Sennen Cove?

wallop

Gwithian?

scotroutes

Eoropie?

zippykona

Self catering apartment at The Saunton Sands Hotel?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Self catering apartment at The Saunton Sands Hotel?

we would have to dress for dinner!

zippykona

You could or self cater or go and have fish and chips at squires.
    Me now hungry.

zippykona

Or carvery at the Williams Arms.

ski
    Free Member

Big n daft what are you looking for most?

Surfing
    The Thatch
    Walking
    Sandy dog free beech

For something a little different, check out Porlock Weir, no surfing or sandy beech, but some great walks and views, still quite untouched by tourists still too.

HB47

Watergate Bay

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

sennen & gwenvor

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m after
    Surfing
    nice village with a pub similar to The Thatch
    Walking, only to get to the beach with munchkins
    Sandy dog free beech, yes please

nickswolves
    Free Member

Is the Williams arms the pub in Braunton? The one that does the epic pies?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Eoropie

midges?

weather, wife thinks it will be raining in August

scotroutes

midges?[/quote]Nah. Too windy.

jimster01

Westward ho!, Bude?

BlobOnAStick

Gower? Somewhere near 3 cliffs bay?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Nah. Too windy.

I want to sell it to the wife!

zippykona

Is the Williams arms the pub in Braunton? The one that does the epic pies?

Yep that’s the one.
    If I’m being picky it’s actually in Wrafton.

TomB

Port eynon, rhosilli or Horton in gower, have provided this sort of thing for me.

jimster01

Polzeath, ferry over to Padstow for her whilst your surfing?

jimster01

Dog free us messing things up as the Gower seems to be dog friendly beaches, other than Caswell or Langland

choppersquad
    Free Member

I’d say after reading what you’re after, Croyde Bay would be perfect :D.

jimster01

St ives, Perranporth, Porhtowan

backinireland
    Free Member

Portrush northern ireland

studag
    Free Member

I’d second Rhossili beach, huge beach, good surf, you can have fires and BBQs on the beach which the kids loved.
    You can camp or get caravan at Hill End Camping Park.
    We will definitely be visiting again this year.
    Three Cliffs which is also on the Gower was beautiful place aswell but not sure the surfing is as good.

scruff
    Free Member

After 3 years of central St Ives, this year we’re going to Croyde.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Trebarwith.
    Mawgan Porth.

woody74

Try Porhtowan

We are staying there again in a few weeks. You can get 2 bedroom apartments that are right on the beach, The Blue Bar is great, there are a couple of surf shops. If you want a chilled out place then this is great and lovely beach.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Hey can you stop mentioning Rhossili…..every bugger will be there at this rate!

Seriously though its just amazing, although we always go in Oct half term when its virtually deserted. Can be a bit windy though. How many are you, I have cottage info!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Hill End at Rhossili is perfect for what you want. I’ll be there again this summer.

bigblackshed

Hill End at Llangennith is great, but you can’t book the campsite. There are very few hook ups as well. Camping or campervans only, no touring caravans.

The caravan park is all privately owned, but some owners do rent out.

Staunton Sands Beach Villas are a good choice if you like Croyde. I think they have been refitted since we last went. They were quite basic, but that’s good if your beach or surf type people. The beach is a lot less crowded than Croyde, the surf is gentler too, much more a longboard or beginners wave. Croyde at low tide with some height is a black run effectively. Braunton is only a short drive, as is Croyde.

Squires fish and chips in Braunton? Nom nom!

Bruce

Off beat suggestion but some where on the west coast of France several hundred miles of quiet sandy beaches and pine forests with great surf potential, village pub may have to be a bar though.

CountZero

Damn it, will you lot stop talking about fish and chips! I can practically smell them…

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Staunton Sands Beach Villas are a good choice if you like Croyde. I think they have been refitted since we last went. They were quite basic, but that’s good if your beach or surf type people. The beach is a lot less crowded than Croyde, the surf is gentler too, much more a longboard or beginners wave. Croyde at low tide with some height is a black run effectively. Braunton is only a short drive, as is Croyde.

Saunton/ Puts are my real loves for surfing but the wife likes Croyde and even if it’s going to be mad busy her heart is set on it/ something close. I agree about Croyde at low tide, it’s had my feet over my head in the past

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

The locals rate this place Porthemmet

bigblackshed

Croyde at low tide. I have the scars to remember that experience. Physical and mental.

agent007
    Free Member

Can highly recommend Polzeath. Oystercatcher is a very good pub (still not quite The Thatch though), and a night out to Padstow via the foot ferry is easily done. Polzeath beach is great, better than Croyde I’d say although it can get busy in July/august and you’ll have to go on a dawn or evening patrol to get it to yourself.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Croyde for UK beach holiday with a walk to the beach and surfing’ is closed to new replies.