Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Alternatives to Cannondale Trail SL 29 SS?
  • offthebrakes
    Free Member

Liking the look of the Cannondale SS a lot for a winter MTB – seems like plenty of bike for the money. Decent frame and wheels, 2015 model has Magura MT2 brakes which I’m guessing will be better than the Helixes on the 2014 one.

Also square taper BB which is a bonus as far as I’m concerned. Not so keen on an EBB, but can’t see any other downsides.

Anything similar I should consider around that price point (£750)?

Requirements are:
    New
    29er singlespeed
    Rigid
    Decent wheels that can be tubelessed easily.
    Would prefer not to have an EBB.
    Geometry towards XC rather than gnar.

Thanks!

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

The ‘Dale is a lot of bike for the money. I picked up a 2014 model for £530 which was even better 🙂

Stock brakes were rubbish so swapped straight away to XT. Changed the cranks/BB for better ones I had in the spares box.

I also swapped out the standard tyres as I’m not a big fan of Racing Ralphs, especially the OEM versions. A 2.35 Hans Dampf on the front still has loads of clearance and can be run fairly soft (tubeless), to soak up some of the bumps.

The EBB is ok. Well, mine has been so far. I’ve run EBB on SS for many years though and never had any problems with it.

Not strictly answering your question on alternatives I know but just adding my thoughts.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Here you go –

2014 ‘Dale Trail SL SS – cheap

null

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Good to hear dbukdbuk – I’m very tempted by the ‘dale, especially as my LBS is a dealer! Just doing due diligence really, to see what else is around 🙂

Would probably ditch the Ralphs when they wear out (or rip the sidewalls). Not so bothered about getting a huge tyre in the front as I might well put a sus fork on – I have a spare fork sitting in the shed. Hence why I want a rigid fork, or more accurately don’t want something specced with a crap sus fork that I would swap straight out.

Have had a bit of EBB grief in the past though…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to Cannondale Trail SL 29 SS?’ is closed to new replies.