Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Alternatives to BB7 Road disc brakes
  • kcr
    Free Member

I am interested in alternatives to BB7 Road discs, when used for year round daily commuting work, please.

The BB7s are great brakes when set up correctly, but I’ve found their ability to stand up to the abuse of regular commuting is a bit disappointing. They seem to start corroding and getting sticky very quickly after a typical winter season of rain, salt, grit and snow. I’m wondering if any of the alternatives are a bit more tolerant of road crud and would require less tweaking to keep them running.

I’m aware of the Shimano 505s and Tektro Lyras. Does anyone have direct experience of how these compare to the BB7s for performance and maintenance, and particularly how they stand up to daily all weather commuting?

kiwijohn

If you kill BB7’s I don’t think anything else will stand up.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I use Lyras. Great but fussy. Haven’t used them through the winter but 2500 mile have seen no issues and just fitted the 2nd set of pads. The others had most of the meat left but had worn croocked.

oldnpastit

I use BB7s on my mountain bike and ride it all through the winter in typical English winter mud-fest conditions and they are just fine.

You need better cables (I’ve been using Shimano XTR cables). Continuous cable routing is also good.

kcr
    Free Member

Agree that good cables are important, but I find that the BB7 caliper body and parts just seems to corrode and get sticky very quickly. Daily road commuting can be a harsher environment than off road, especially once regular winter gritting starts.

epicyclo

You sound like you need these

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to BB7 Road disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.