Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alternative to Stan's Yellow Tape? (Or have you any unused…?)
  • tomhughes46

Hey

Have just ordered a Stan's flow rim. I don't plan on using it tubeless until I need to buy a new tyre however was going to use Yellow tape as rim strip anyway; then I realised the 25mm is £11 a roll!

I have seen people use Gorilla tape instead but I can't find any in 25mm. I could cut it down but if it doesn't work then there seems little point. Is it like a gaffer tape, or more like an amalgamating/hose repair tape?

Has anyone successfully used anything cheaper with a tubeless set up? Apparently the ammonia in sealant can cause issues with adhesives? OR: Has anyone got enough left over to do a wheel hat they would sell?

sadexpunk

bloody hell that does seem expensive. i couldnt remember paying that for mine not so long ago, so i just checked, and yep youre right :-/

pleased ive got mine sorted now. tis certainly a rip-off tho, especially the rim strips.

think some people use gaffer or duck tape instead. theres a youtube video somewhere out there of some chappy splitting a length of duck tape in half and using that instead for his wheels.

tomhughes46

Thanks; might give that a try

grumm
    Free Member

I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure I've got enough left on my roll to do at least one wheel – can't see why I would need to do it again now it's set up.

uplink
    Free Member
    scaredypants

sadex – I think duck tape might be better in, say, california than it is in the UK. It isn't properly waterproof IME.

I'm on the stan's stuff now – so far so good, evn on an old mavic rim

scaredypants

uplink, that's like the "spoke tape" or whatever they call it – not the yellow rim sealing tape

uplink
    Free Member
    uplink
    Free Member

sadex – I think duck tape might be better in, say, california than it is in the UK. It isn't properly waterproof IME.

Of course duct/duck tape is waterproof – that's how it got it's name

scaredypants

*Not suitable for total immersion in water

In My Experience, it fails as the adhesive doesn't seem to be properly waterproof (even if the outer cover is) and it tends to get wet from underneath when it's on a wheel

uplink
    Free Member

We use it at work for all sorts of outdoor stuff & I've used it many times on enduro bikes etc.
    It was actually designed as a waterproof tape for ammo boxes

I've used it now for over 4 years as a rim sealing tape & it's never failed
    of course, YMMV depending on how you actually apply it

Artillerydave
    Free Member

Have used electrical insulation tape to seal loads of rims and it works a treat, usually use about 4 to 5 turns on the rim, to build up the centre of the rim, make sure the valve you use has a rubber stopper on the inside. Also use a couple a layers under pikey or under actual tubeless kits too. Available from Screwfix , B +Q etc for not a lot.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

ooops, double post.

tomhughes46

Right; Grumm – if you have it I would be grateful, otherwise think I might just give Duck tape a go.

pinkmouse
    Free Member

I actually used some Tamper Proof Tape and is so adhesive it worked quite well. Did the job anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to Stan's Yellow Tape? (Or have you any unused…?)’ is closed to new replies.