Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Alternative to Rockshox Pikes 120/130mm
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Looking to change my frame but 2 of the new frames I’ve on my shortlist both run Pikes. The Banshee Phantom and the Transition Smuggler, leaning towards the Phantom tbh.
    Are there any alternatives to the expensive Pikes.

danti

X fusion Trace can be internally adjusted in 10mm increments.

Light but stiff 34mm stanchions and don’t cost £££.

Found them great for local trails here in the peaks, less flex than 32mm stanchion forks.

z1ppy

RS Yari’s or Suntours new 29er range?

mark88

The Banshee Spitfire I demoed had MRP Stage on which I liked. They do these in 29″ 120 and 130 I think.

Edit: I had it in my head they were cheaper than Pikes – looks like I’m mistaken.

fudge9202
    Free Member

danti, which model of the Trace forks are able to be dropped, crc have dla version 140mm drop to 110mm.

danti

The dla version are adjustable between 110-140 by a dial, they don’t need to be internally adjusted like my RL2 2014 model which I got 18 bikes to do.
    Not sure if RL2 version are still available?
    You can occasionally pick them up 2nd hand on here or eBay/Pinkbike as they were fitted as standard to Treks I believe.

drovercycles
    Free Member

I was going to say MRP Stage too – that’s what we have on our Smuggler demo. Great forks, RRP is a little lower than Pikes but they actually sell for what they’re supposed to, so actual market price is very similar.

Yari or Revelation would be the cheaper option, both very good.

Alternatively as others have said the new X-Fusion forks are very good.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies but coincidentally I got s brand new set of Rockshox Pikes 130mm at a bargain price.

granny_ring

Where from?

deviant
    Free Member

The Yari is getting good reviews even though the internals are a generation behind Pikes, nothing wrong with that at all, Revelations are similar in technology terms and still make a very good trail fork for significantly less than a Pike….i have Revs at 140mm and they’re great, further shortened to 130mm I would imagine they’re even better.

I also have X-Fusion Sweeps at 160mm on my full suss and they’re superb, the 34mm chassis is a step up from Revs, Fox-32s etc and the damping is plush initially and ramps up nicely to avoid bottom outs…they’re also easily adjusted internally from 120mm to 160mm if you get the long travel models, they usual crop up on CRC for less than £400, they are fairly future proof too as the new Roughcut damper (google it, getting rave reviews) will be available later this year and can be installed in older models by simply pulling out the old cartridge and dropping in the new one.

….read the Cotic page about why they’ve started speccing the Rocket with X-Fusion suspension, they’re quietly going about the business of making top performing forks and shocks that don’t cost the earth…they were set up by former Fox employees so they know their stuff, I’ve gone in wholesale and put one of their shocks on my FS too, when the Revs on my HT break I’ll be replacing them with X-Fusion, lovely kit regardless of price and serviced by TFtuned or a competent home tinkerer!

fudge9202
    Free Member

I was set on X fusion trace rl2 forks but couldn’t pass on a new pair of Rockshox Pikes 130mm for £270!!!!!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

i expect you will like the pikes. They sometimes take a bit of setting up and most folk run them with lower pressure than the chart recommends.
    Where did you find them for £270 its a great price

johnw1984
    Free Member

Just been out on my new Yari (150mm 650B) and it’s such a good fork! Plus if I really feel the need for a charger damper down the line, apparently they drop straight in.

Much better than the shower of shit Marzocchi 350 NCR I had.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Slight hijack fellas, I have the Unicrown RL2 Trace which has been ace. I orignally purchased them set at 120mm for my old Solaris and I would like to increase them to 130mm just to raise the BB on my Camber evo a smidge. I got the impression the travel was adjustable on these from 120mm straight to 140mm (which is more than id want to go). Is this the case?

OP – they’re great forks BTW for the money. Very stiff and the compression is great.

granny_ring

OP any chance of enlightening us on where from or if we can get some too….?

fudge9202
    Free Member

Sorry a guy was changing them out of a new Nukeproof Scout 290 so I nabbed them.

granny_ring

Ok ta.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to Rockshox Pikes 120/130mm’ is closed to new replies.