Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • alternative to pro11 on stans
  • seanodav
    Free Member

As you cant seem to get pro2 on stans flow, what other options is there thats similar.
    Is the mavic xm719 any good-similar?

druidh
    Free Member

seanodav – Member
    As you cant seem to get pro2 on stans

You can't?

seanodav
    Free Member

From that i take it you can?
    wheres got em at mo?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I'm wondering the same. Ideally want pro II / XM819 but think i'll go for the stan flow. do they come ready for tubeless (except sealant)?
    and indeed where can you get them from?

seanodav
    Free Member

Is the 819 closer match to the flow than the 719? and whats the weight of them like compared?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

the 819 is just the tubeless version of the 719. but pro II/flow hope hoop is a fair bit cheaper than pro II/819 from merlins.
    for weights their websites say:
    819 = 450g
    719 = 460g
    flow = 470g

merlin custom pro II/819 = £189
    merlin custom pro II/719 = £174
    hope hoops pro II/flow = £162 when in stock at wiggle

the 719 held up to a lot when i had it – brilliant rim. still going strong in the hands of a friend now.

seanodav
    Free Member

Thanks db! The flow front was in stock at both crc and wiggle for a very short while, but cant seem get pair. 🙄

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

the 8/719 is waaaay thinner than the stans rim tho

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I don't know if it was the merlin build or what but I'm more than happy with how my 719 performed. so it may be thinner but it took a beating.

M6TTF
    Free Member

moonglu have red pro2 on white stans flow in stock

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I have some Fulcrum Red Metal 3's very light and strong and stiff, I also wanted Hope Hoops on Stans but gave up looking and did not want to wait.

Horse
    Free Member

819 might be thinner but chatting to a wheel builder it's quite a bit stronger. 819s aren't thin, they're great with 2.35 etc

Northwind

The claimed weight of the 819 is totally crooked, they include the rim but not the little insert things needed to actually build a wheel. The true weight is 510g~.

"seanodav – Member
    Is the 819 closer match to the flow than the 719? and whats the weight of them like compared?"

The 819's fairly similiar in purpose and strength to the Arch (apparently, never used one myself), just that it's heavier. People compare it with the Flow based more off weight but that doesn't work out. Mavic don't really compete tbh, they don't have an 821 but even if they did it'd probably be too heavy to compare since their tubeless XC rim is heavier than Stans tubeless AM rim. Flow is bigger, stronger and lighter.

Mugboo

Can i add that as a SingletrAction member you get 15% off at Moonglu (ask Moonglu if it includes wheels before you join).

http://www.singletraction.co.uk/page.php?page=Sponsors

Also joining SingletrAction and attending 5 trailbuilding days gets you a large discount direct from Hope (not much use if your in a rush but one to bear in mind).

Inzane
    Free Member

anyone know when the hope hoops with flows are likely to be back in stock. I really have my mind set on a pair of these.

I looked at buying the bits separately, and the hubs + rims already added up to more than the complete wheels… which means by the time I bought spokes and built them I would be well out of pocket!!

The width of the rim does give a different profile to the tyre and feels more stable with bigger volume tyres. I do not want an 819, and an 823 is pretty heavy…

Simon

What about DT Swiss EX500 rims, decent width and only 500g ? Use them tubeless with rim strips.

seanodav
    Free Member

@ inzane, i managed to buy some from here:
    http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4139

Still in stock it appears

stuartie_c
    Free Member

We're at the mercy of market forces it would seem…

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/hopehoops.html

😉

rich-6
    Free Member

I got mine off roger Munston, I think the address is wheelpro.com?? Checks every set beforevthey go out and provides a serial number, punished my set with single ply high rollers converted tubeless, never popped it off lost ajr and run truexstill after a years riding!!

Id recommend him, il dig his number out tomorrow and post it up see if he has any in

k'in hate posting off the iPhone

Lakes_Puma

Another vote for wheelpro (Roger Musson) I got a pair of flows of him and not only was his price very good but the service is excellent.

out of interest I weighed the front last night and with a 2.35 High Roller and 203mm rotor in tubeless form it weighs 4.5lb which seems OK bearing in mind that my XT/mavic xc717 with a 2.1 panaracer tire and only 160mm rotor weighs 4lb

thejesmonddingo

Justridingalong will build these for you,I've just got some Stan's crest on Stan's hubs,and they seem fine,they are Stan's dealers,and keep the rims in stock.
    Ian

eshershore
    Free Member

Freeborn will also build you wheels – they always have Stans ZTR rims and Hope Pro II hubs in stock

robarnold
    Free Member

As you cant seem to get pro2 on stans flow

Mine arrived this morning, they're lovely

M6TTF
    Free Member

JRA and Freeborn charge a hefty sum for the privilege of their builds though!

njee20
    Free Member

More the Hope Hoops are stunning value to be fair, in fact the wheels go for less than the retail of the hubs and rims, you get the spokes and the build FOC!

Baldysquirt

18bikes are pretty good at getting them in quickly. I got a pair with Crests as soon as they were available from Hope and that was after only ordering them a few days earlier.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘alternative to pro11 on stans’ is closed to new replies.