Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Alternative to hope hubs?
  • pcosmic
    Free Member

Building my first set of wheels. Got stans notubes rims and have been recommended superstar switch ultra hubs. Anyone got any experience of them? Apparently the previous versions got bad reviews but can’t find too much negativity on these. On spec they seem quieter than Hopes and the front one is lighter. Obvs cost is a benefit too…

any info appreciated.

thanks
    adam

pcosmic
    Free Member

forgot to say will be used for XC and the odd bit of bike park fun.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Swap the bearings out for decent ones when you buy them and get a spare freehub body and they’re fine.
    I got about 3 months out mine on the 4x bike (only ever ridden on dry bmx tracks or indoors).

johnners
    Free Member

What about trying Shimano? They used to be quite big in bike components.

pcosmic
    Free Member

tbh I’ll get hopes if they’re the most solid but curious about these if there’s no downside…

Spin
    Free Member

What about trying Shimano? They used to be quite big in bike components

What was wrong with cup and cone?

vincienup
    Free Member

Traditionally Superstar bearings don’t last very long, but as you swap them when they die and the hubs are so much cheaper that’s not a problem.

The only real downside I can see is that you need to buy a full freehub instead of a set of pawls and springs when they go, but as you’re spending about £25 for pawls and springs on a Hope, that’s not fair either as that’s about what a Superstar freehub costs…

You aren’t juut buying a name with Hope, the backup, service and spares availability is truly awesome, but they aren’t cheap new.

As Johnners though, decent quality (XT) hubs are great *IF* you look after them and don’t try and treat them as ‘ignore until bad noises happen’ like you can with cartridge bearings. They’re relatively cheap and light, have all the performance you need and the only downsides are cup and cone bearings needing servicing more often and not being able to swap axle sizes.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

What about trying Shimano? They used to be quite big in bike components.

Three shimano freehubs in 6 months, tells me the later hubs are very cheesy.
    Try Goldtec for something different……….

RDL-82
    Free Member

Like my Halo hubs personally. Original Spin Doctor still going strong after 5years on same bearings and only issue I had on the rear was a freehub issue which Halo replaced FOC. Cover all axle types and easy to work on.

Northwind

I’d find a pair of cheap used DT240Ss- if you don’t mind white, then buying a set of EX1750s works really well, I sold on the rims and spokes and reused the hubs. Far better than Hope.

Hope are very overrated- substandard sealing and some other reliability issues. I can’t rave about their customer service, because while they supplied me with replacement parts every time mine broke, they’d still sold me a part they knew was likely to break- that’s not great customer service, that’s just a great save that goes a long way to redeeming bad customer service. But, after all that they’re not too bad, they’re well backed up, and they’re very adaptable.

Spin
    Free Member

Three shimano freehubs in 6 months, tells me the later hubs are very cheesy

That’s sad to hear because provided you were happy to grease and readjust them from time to time shimano hubs used to be pretty durable.

Northwind

Yeah, I’ve got an Exage hub which is over 20 years old, it’s been phenomenal. Odds of today’s hubs still being going in 20 years? Zilch

Spin
    Free Member

🙁

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

DT Swiss 350s- much the same internally as a 240, just a bit heavier (And a good bit cheaper)

rp16v
    Free Member

I no it lowers the axle change but I have a hope xc that refuses to die built that with a pro2 up front for fork options

dvatcmark
    Free Member

rp16v – Member
    I no it lowers the axle change but I have a hope xc that refuses to die built that with a pro2 up front for fork options

Same here, the xc was a better rear hub IMO. The only downside is QR only

davosaurusrex

How noisy are DT free hubs? I put my spare wheels with mud tyres on the other day and have to say I was loving the near silent coasting with the SRAM freehub compared to my Hope 40t

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

DTs are almost silent. I have 240s, lovely things

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Another vote for DT Swiss 350, great hubs. I tried a couple of builds with Shimano hubs but the freehubs are terrible, even on Dura Ace!

br
    Free Member

What sized wheels, as if its 26″ then just go and buy a s/h pair of Hope Hoops and keep your rims for spares.

Bought some last w/e, £130 with tyres and they’d had a recent bearing change.

ratherbeintobago

That grease mod is really cool.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to hope hubs?’ is closed to new replies.