Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Alternative to heli tape?
  • slowboydickie

Any recommendations? I saw some demon tweaks PVC tape on Tweeks cycles that was cheaper than heli tape, for example, but don’t know if it goes on / comes of as easily. Anyone had an experience with it or similar cheaper stuff?

Cheers
    Dickie

retro83
    Free Member

yeah, if it’s the same stuff I’ve got, it’s not the same as heli tape in that it is not transparent, but transluscent and it’s much thinner than ‘real’ heli tape. Does the same job though, really tough. Think it was labelled as leading edge tape for racing car splitters.

edit: assume it’s this stuff?
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/components/frame-protection/demon-tweeks-translucent-pvc-tape

looks the same as what i’ve got.

sgn23
    Free Member

I’ve used cheap, clear tape from Wilkinson’s. It’s stayed on well all year, seems to be pretty waterproof and resists cable rub.

slowboydickie

Retro, yep same stuff. Have you tried removing the tape?

xcentric
    Free Member

got some 3m stuff from an ebay seller http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110636067761&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:1123#ht_1626wt_891

good service, good tape – clear, tough, sticks well. Relatively cheap. Much better than bike shop packs of various bits.

2 tips – cut square corners off into rounds – stops them catching and so increases life. Secondly, try to rub the tape with a cloth or the tape backing to smooth it and get it warmer – this helps the adhesive on the back stick better.

davesmate
    Free Member

If it’s just for cable rub I prefer to put something on the cable rather than the frame. Jagwire do a little rubber sheath (for want of a better word) that clips onto the cable/hose to eliminate cable rub.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

If it’s just for cable rub I prefer to put something on the cable rather than the frame. Jagwire do a little rubber sheath (for want of a better word) that clips onto the cable/hose to eliminate cable rub./quote]But surely mud can still get between the rubber sheath and the frame, causing damage? Whereas with heli tape it doesn’t matter, your frame is still protected.

I just got some Helitape from http://www.helitape.co.uk and it’s good, thick stuff. Delivered fast too

davesmate
    Free Member

It hasn’t for me (so far)

kayak23

Clingfilm, and lots of it!

bellys
    Free Member

Every heli tape I’ve had has been a sod to get the air bubbles out. I spent an hr on the top tube of my carbon frame and got it on nice 10 min later full of tiny air bubbles ? M3 stuff seems stronger.

slowboydickie

Thanks fellas. I ordered some of the 3m stuff off eBay.

xcentric
    Free Member

the trick is to fold the backing back on itself, then smooth the tape down whilst slowly unpeeling the backing at the same time. (sort of like an inverted T shape, with sticky side one bit of the t, the backing the other, and the stuck together stuff the stem). If done slowly this works fine. The odd bubble can either be gently worked out to the side before pressing it all down really firmly, or, if it simply moves around, cut it with a scalpel or needle or similar, and allow the air out that way. At least, that works on sails (where you apply similar stuff all the time) and worked for me on the bike.

curvature
    Free Member

And if you know what you are doing use a soapy water solution to apply the tape.

You spray the solution on to the frame or fork leg where you wish to apply the tape and this will allow you to slide the tap into the correct place. When you are sure it is in the correct place use a plastic scraper to gently smooth out all of the water and air bubbles.

The tape will be permanently fixed and without any bubbles.

Also remember to ensure the surfaces are free from grease, dirt or any silicone spray residue or the tie will not adhere properly.

The above is the same procedure that commercial signage companies would use for signs or when applying vinyl wraps to vehicles.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to heli tape?’ is closed to new replies.