Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Alternative to a Pitch Pro?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

So we all know how good the pitch pro this year is. Except for the fact that there aren’t any left are there?
    Looking for a friend so what else comes close in this arena?

£1500 budget
    140/150mm travelish – probably pikes up front?
    Riding consists of trail centres (cwmcarn and afan are v. common), local xc loops (cotswolds – birdlip/cleeve/leckhampton), forest of dean dh, other local dh tracks but nothing fort william style yet
    and fairly importantly – Morzine in the summer…

He’s pretty damn quick on his gt avalanche and can see him ripping trails up on a well equipped full sus.

The pitch pro was a perfect match for him in my eyes!
    Not a prophet as his best mate has one
    Marin Wolf Ridge 6.7 can be got in his price range, but could be a touch heavy for xc at 34lbs,
    Giant Reign – but what are the Marzocchi 44 TST2 forks like?
    Commencal Meta 5.5.2 – Hard hitting enough for morzine and local dh?

Help!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

2008 Enduro if you can find one! There are still some bargains out there!

BoardinBob

Cannondale Prophet

GaryLake
    Free Member

Prophet springs to mind…

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Forgot to say – Prophet is probably out as his best mate has one…!
    and if anyone finds bargains – he needs a size medium.

GaryLake
    Free Member

3 seconds dammit!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Prophet is probably out as his best mate has one…!

Eh? Why? If the bike’s right, why not buy one?

(OK, that said, among my ride group there’s not one of us on the same bike, but there you go!)

mojo5pro
    Free Member

This place is still showing them in stock
    http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b3s2p4633

nukeproof
    Free Member

Felt Compulsion

Wiggle had the 2008 Compulsion 2 SE reduced and has still got a few left depending on size required

I’ve got to say, I was very nearly going to buy a Remedy 8, but my mate got one, so I swayed towards the Enduro

Aren’t Felt’s a bit crap nuke?

mikey74
    Free Member

Ahhhh sh**e dual crown forks on an xc bike: Stay well away.

How about a Banshee Rune, or a Santa Cruz Nomad or Blur LT.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Aren’t Felt’s a bit crap nuke?

Are you suggesting the Equilink is not the holy grail of bike design? 😉

MBR review tagged on to the Wiggle product page
    seems positive and the kit spec is a good match to the Pitch. Just throwing some ideas out there 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mikey74 – Member
    Ahhhh sh**e dual crown forks on an xc bike: Stay well away.

Not an XC bike, or at least not an XC race bike. Why stay away from a light weight, better steering fork?

That you then go on to suggest;

How about a Banshee Rune, or a Santa Cruz Nomad or Blur LT.

shows you really haven’t quite grasped the concept of the OP asking for something from a £1500 budget.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

nomad or blur lt for £1500 complete? I’ll have one if you can find it!
    ah yeah remedy’s this guy throws his about a bit… (take off top right of the pic)

Shandy
    Free Member

A Meta 5 will take as much of a hammering as a Pitch, you can go bolt through on the rear if you want to stiffen it up.

(I wasn’t suggesting a Remedy btw – too expensive – just highlighting the issue of not having the same bike as your mate. He said he wasn’t bothered, but it still wouldn’t have felt right)

mikey74
    Free Member

shows you really haven’t quite grasped the concept of the OP asking for something from a £1500 budget.

Oops I didn’t see that bit – teach me to scan read (still hungover too ;0).

Not an XC bike, or at least not an XC race bike. Why stay away from a light weight, better steering fork?

For a start they are notoriously unreliable; secondly, in order to get them to an xc weight, they are not as strong as proper dh dual-crowns, or even a decent set of single-crown forks. I’ve known people who bought them, used them on downhill runs, and wondered why they break.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

mikey, I ride one. Not as strong as a DH fork? Well, of course not, it’s not a DH fork. Not as strong as single crown? I beg to differ, I’m a large chap and mine are tough as old boots.

Used them on downhill runs? Yep, Climachx (Sessioned the last DH for an afternoon, which was great!), Coed Y B, Glyncorrwg, Cwm Carn DH, etc etc etc. Or are those not DH enough for you? Well, if you want more than that then yes, get a DH fork on a DH bike, but the Enduro’s not that bike.

Sorry mikey, you’re misguided. There have been problems, but most were ironed out by 2008, and in any case you get a quick warranty turnaround with problem free ’09 internals fitted. Add to that a 5 yr warranty and the undisputed stiffest to weight ratio fork out there seems like a good enough bet to me

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I don’t want to interrupt, but its only in stock in large, so its likely to be out of the question. thanks for the suggestion though!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry for the diversion….!

Reign’s are well worth a look as well, even if you get an ’08 model the frame’s pretty much spot on. Not too heavy, nice low centre of gravity. Or, what about a little shorter and a Trance?

catnash
    Free Member

The e150 fork I find tracks brilliantly and the problems are sorted. The plush action was better than my 09 36RC2. There’s a few guys on the mtbr forum hammering theirs on DH with no problems but as said they’re not DH forks. They’re dead easy to maintain them. 5 year warranty no hassle. Bought my 08 for 1500 sold the frame for 600 and got an S-works frame w/o post for 850 so a Carbon S-works for £1750.

There’s a Felt mint sauce on Wiggle. Looks tasty imho.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to a Pitch Pro?’ is closed to new replies.