Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Alternative to a 5W or 10W fork oil?
  • mboy
    Free Member

This isn’t for a fork, I’m trying to resurrect an already given up for dead Maverick suspension seatpost, but no longer have any fork oil kicking about, and both shops close to me I used to be able to buy it from have closed down! 🙁

So given that it’s just to control its rebound speed a bit, and it’s mainly about lubrication, what else might be suitable? I’ve got stacks of 10W40 engine oil kicking about, and know of people that use it to lubricate their fork lowers anyway. Will it hurt?

Will get some proper oil ordered up ASAP, but in the meantime I just need to check the damned thing actually works or not… Otherwise it’s only suitable for spares/repairs on ebay…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Halfords do 10w I think

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Any motorbike places close by?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is actually a hydraulic fluid.

mboy
    Free Member

Any motorbike places close by?

Both closed down… Despite Worcester having one of the UK’s top MX tracks! 😕

ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is actually a hydraulic fluid.

Yeah but it’s pretty viscous iirc.

That’s why my thought was 10W40 engine oil, cos at least whilst it’s cool it has a similar viscosity to 10W fork oil. And it’s not likely to get hot inside a Maverick suspension seatpost, though it wouldn’t be ideal inside a fork or a rear shock where the oil would heat up quite a bit and thin out.

Any advances?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

As I’ve said numerous time on here (and elsewhere), 5w and 10w, or indeed any ‘w’ don’t actually mean much.

“DO NOT GO BY LABLED OIL WEIGHT! Not only is this a poor way to decide which oil to use, but each manufacturer seems to be on a different scale. For example Maxima RSF 7wt is actually lighter than Spectro 5wt and Silkolene Pro RSF 7.5wt is actually heavier than Showa SS-8 10wt. This is not a judgment about the quality of these oils, just that the ‘weight’ label leads to a lot of trouble when trying to tune with suspension oils.”

From HERE

TuckerUK
    Free Member

So, try and find the viscosity rating at 40 degrees C of the oils you’re comparing to (in centistokes: cSt), and see what fluid matches that.

mboy
    Free Member

cheers TuckerUK, and I know what you’re getting at, but I’m not gonna chuck this in my forks… I’m quite picky about what goes in there, and I know the oils I use (and will stick to them) and their weights and how they affect things. I just don’t have anything kicking about right now.

This is for a height adjustable seatpost, all it needs to do is take up 55cc’s of volume and slow the return down a bit. I’d chuck any old fork oil in if I had any, but haven’t got anything lying about at the mo.

mboy
    Free Member
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to a 5W or 10W fork oil?’ is closed to new replies.