Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Alternative forms of enery conservation and technology used in housing!
  • kaesae
    Free Member

I would be very interested in anyone that has any solar panels or turbines also insulation and other good shit!

Anyone want to discuss the matter I am very interested in saving ££££££ 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

Insulate. fabric first. You really need to tell us about casa kaesae so we can give you some pointers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t run a computer for teh interwebz and games. That should save a bit.

😉

kaesae
    Free Member

It’s an old council flat, think of a gang hut at the top of a lfight of stairs, chalk walls, paper mache doors, enough of the sharing crap.

What is the most cost effective way of insulating chalk walls, remember they do not belong to me 😀

kaesae
    Free Member

So is anyone willing to share some of the info they have and teach me about insulation and alternative power sources!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes. Simply cut down on your unnecessary energy expenditure. It’s pretty obvious, isn’t it? That would reduce your energy use.

Then, as above, insulate, insulate, insulate.

HTH.

kaesae
    Free Member

I don’t really use that much energy unnecesary, what about cavity wall insulation, how do you go about doing that ❓

donsimon
    Free Member

Simply cut down on your unnecessary energy expenditure.

I find that under certain circumstances that the complete opposite is very effective at keeping me warm.

@kaesae Make sure you have cavities then look through here to see if they can point you in the right direction for grant aid.
    I’d also think about your motives as a lot of accepted insulating technique have quite long pay back periods, double glazing for example.

kaesae
    Free Member

By cavities do you mean hollow walls and floors?

donsimon
    Free Member

Have a look at this.

djglover
    Free Member

Council flat won’t be easy to do solar or other microgen. Many council or HAs doing it for an array of properties though . As above most impact will come from optimising your currant usage.

midlifecrashes

Go to Wilkos, buy a couple of tubes of caulk. Stop all the draughts. Then see which walls and windows are coldest and work on them. Heavy floor to ceiling curtains really work, but a bit crap if you have to waste daylight to stay warm. Floor to ceiling bookcases, filled with books, obviously, are pretty good at warming up a cold wall, better still if they have doors on.

donsimon
    Free Member

Heavy floor to ceiling curtains really work, but a bit crap if you have to waste daylight to stay warm.

Secondry glazing?

wrecker
    Free Member

Flick the RCD when you go out and go to bed. Ensures nothing is consuming. Buy AA rated appliances.

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s odd, I’ve found it now… 😳
    Heavy curtains open during the day to let sunlight and heat in, closed at night to stop the heat escaping.

matt_outandabout

Insulation, insulation, insulation.
    and for some fun…

Trombe wall 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

an old council flat

So – is it your flat or rented?

nickhart
    Free Member

Check out what mel did with his place in conspiracy theory…………

maccruiskeen

If you are top floor don’t insulate under the floor, let everyone else’s heat come up to you. Locally (in ayrshire) I’m offered free energy assessments that look at helping to reduce costs and identify the actions to take whether you own or rent the property. Not sure if that’s a local or national initiative though.

If you are already pretty frugal and the property isn’t that big then savings will be relatively small and the cost of implementing any improvements might take longer to pay for themselves. If its a rented property might be smarter to just move than spend money on improvents

wrightyson
    Free Member

If the walls are so waffy any chance of a sneaky cable drilled through to next door, nip round for cup of sugar, create diversion, plug on plug in, thanks for sugar, back home, fire up the three bar fire 😉

Anyone want to discuss the matter I am very interested in saving ££££££

Really? I thought you were more interested in saving the world. 😕

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You need to line your walls with egg boxes tinfoil and old carpet.

Consuming the eggs will create methane… try and bottle it and use it for heating fuel.

The tinfoil will also help to protect you from ‘them’.

kaesae
    Free Member

Great! here come the keyboard badass’s, lucky I got some good info before they arrived 💡

TSY you still saving a fortune on hair products and cuts by being bald, now that is genius!

tomaso
    Free Member

Investing the fabric of a property you don’t own does not seem like good economics. I suppose it depends how long you intend to live there.

1. Draughts are the easiest and cheapest to sort.
    2. Curtains with insulation really make a difference and they are easy to make – sewing is not a black art when you have a machine to do it. If you want to go to extremes to save heat loss from windows make up some demountable closed cell insulation boards that fit into the reveals of the windows – any phenolic insulation board will do, it doesn’t have to be the fancy kingspan.
    3. If its a flat and you can’t get to the underside of the fllor insulating the floor with something like these would make a difference wickes – unless the person the lives below you ‘heats your flat!
    4. Lagging you hot water pipes and tank.
    5. Dry line external walls with insulated plasterboard gyproc plasterboard
    6. Insulate ceiling

Have a look here greenspec

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

by being bald

eh?

I could start shaving and sending you the clippings to pack the egg boxes with?

kaesae
    Free Member

Thanks tomaso I have that green stuff down already, I will look into the other stuff later!

kaesae
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member

by being bald
    eh?

I could start shaving and sending you the clippings to pack the egg boxes with?

Wouldn’t want to leave you without a hairy back in the winter, so I’ll pass 8)

I could be wrong, but isn’t the ‘green stuff’ carpet underlay?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Alternative forms of enery conservation and technology used in housing!’ is closed to new replies.