• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Alternative do everything car?
  • dazzydw
    Free Member

I want to trade in BOTH our Mondeos for a bigger car.
    New Mondeo estate is the frontrunner but too new so too pricey.
    So may have to be Mk3 Mondeo estate but not much of a change from normal mondeo we've got today.

What do all you family guys have – its got to do –
    the school run
    the weekend 300mile round trip to relatives
    take the family bikes – 2 mtb bikes and 2 kids bikes or 1 kids and 1 tagalong
    take the mates bikes on long UK trips
    not feel like a bus

S-Max looks cool but again WAY pricey
    Galaxy very bus like
    Suburu Legacy Tourer – cool but oh look too new and pricey. common theme here.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

B'lingo. Cheap too.

MrNutt
    Free Member

volvo, I love my jalopy of an 850!

markd
    Free Member

RS6+ MTM.

falkirk-mark

new A5 coupe due out next year

druidh
    Free Member

Multipla

zaskar
    Free Member

Mk1-mk3 Mondeo share the same chassis with new panels and susp setup.

Are you selling your old estate then btw? how much ;O)

geoffj

Fiat Ducato Van

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Integra Type R – Just leave the boot open with big loads.

Spaceman
    Free Member

I'm loving my new C4 Grand Picasso diesel. Biggest boot I've ever seen, stuff just disappears into it. It drives well for a biggish car, goes and handles well and the semi-auto gearbox is ace. First car I've owned that does over 40mpg and it's not near run in yet, had various similar price point cars over the years, Zafira, 307, Xantia, FRV, Passat, renault something and it's the best family car I've had or been in.

dazzydw
    Free Member

zaskar – selling the hatchback, need an estate.

Volvo – I rate them, wife would rather lick a frog. Women eh.

c4 – hadn't spotted that one, will check it out – whats the used price range?

steveh

Zaskar are you sure all the first 3 versions of the mondeo share the same chassis? Very unlikely over that long a period and the dimensions are different enough for it look dubious.

If you need something bigger than the mondeo that I suggest you're looking at either a people carrier (grand espace or grand voyager are the biggest) of how's about a transporter kombi or vito dualiner (vw much better vans IMHO having owned both) to make a decent difference.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Multipla. Love ours, and it's ginger

dawson

Toyota Corolla Verso T-spirit here, diesel, 7 seater , the seats fold flat in any combination, ours has the DVD player and built in screens in the head-rests wich keeps the kids quiet on long runs.

economical and reliable, and not too bus-like!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Transit

zaskar
    Free Member

steveh – Member
    Zaskar are you sure all the first 3 versions of the mondeo share the same chassis? Very unlikely over that long a period and the dimensions are different enough for it look dubious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mondeo

Yep they came the chassis/suspension and improved it, but everything else was new-body panels, equipment, engine/gearbox and interior etc. It was a lot safer too. Showed how good the chassis was-depending on trim. The Vectra was miles away on handling and the VW Passat was class leading.

Ford put loads of money into the mk1 to phase into mk2 and mk3.

The mk2 handles really well compared to the mk1 which was great in its heyday. I still use my Si mk1 with the sport gearbox to run my bikes to Wales as I don't care about the mud. (I'd cry if my other car was muddied.) It's getting on though.

Sounds sad but I wouldn't mind a mk2 Hatch or estate to run the bikes or garden refuse etc good workhorse.

A mk2 2000 Zetec S clocked faster on the track than a BMW 320 but I'd have the Beemer 😀

lard
    Free Member

Skoda Octavia – I've got the mk1 estate, a friend has just bought a Scout. Fantastic cars, decent enough handling and pretty good economy. Also look good imo

DickBarton

We have an SMax – got it second hand and it was far cheaper than split new (although it was second hand!) – mate got a pre-registered model with delivery miles on it for £14k as it had sat on the showroom floor for 6 months – I almost cried as I thought we got an absolute margain until I heard that.

Really depends on your budget – for biking duties and general 'man-of-the-house' duties (which will no doubt involve taxiing of daughter and friends, trips to the coup with rubbish, biking with my mates and doing all the dirty stuff (that is too dirty for the wife's car as that is meant to be a showroom piece!) then I'll be going for the newer style Berlingo (although I'm not due to get rid of the Bravo until next year so plenty of time for the second hand market to start offering more and at a better price).

The SMax is a great vehicle – loads of space and can easily take 4 bikes on the roof and have plenty of space for 4 bodies and all kit. Inside the only issue I've found is that when you fold the seats flat you loose about 3-4" of height so I need to remove the saddle off any bike that is going inside the car as it just isn't high enough (although all the bikes I've had to move have been larger sized). Other than that minor inconvenience it's been a fantastic car and is very comfy to drive (although the rear seats (not the 2 in the very rear – the main rear seats) sometimes don't make such a comfy drive…but I think that might just be me as I much prefer driving to being the passenger.

It really depends on your budget – if it is £4k then you are somewhat limited but if you can stretch the budget AND justify the stretch then go for it…

hora
    Free Member

dazzydw you are describing the S-Max IMO.

C-Max is no better (worse) than a estate Mondeo.

Whats your max budget?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Alternative do everything car?’ is closed to new replies.