Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Alternative Christmas Lunch
  • Travis

I’m looking to cook an alternative Christmas lunch, since Turkey is off the menu here.
    Any ideas?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I made a chicken vindaloo one Christmas, when I was all alone.

it was preceded by Tandori Chicken.

It was all lovely.

GrahamA
    Free Member

I’ve made Paella the last few years. Simple one pot meal, very popular Christmas meal in parts of Spain. What I really like is that after the initial preparation you can leave it alone and get on with the rest of the day.

rickmeister

We are on Lidl Goose this year but I reckon good alternatives may be Beef Wellington, Lamb Shanks, Pork Fillet or perhaps a Risotto….

Zoolander
    Free Member

I did venison steaks a couple of years ago. Even used twigs from the garden and red cherries to make them look like Rudolph 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

Duck this year, with all the usual trimmings.

purser_mark
    Free Member

+1 for Duck.

Did this one year, left it in the oven and went cycling in the Malverns for the morning. Got home to some cripsy slow roasted lovliness, and I was actually hungry, as I hadn’t been eating Qulaity Street and peanuts all morning! 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Duck here also….and a bit of beef.

Drac

Sirloin, a Ham and Free Range chicken for us.

thepurist

Top tip – cook your duck in the BBQ. Keeps the oven clear for other nommage and there’s no worries about the fat splattering.

wingnuts

I love turkey. Mainly so I can have it cold in sandwiches with pickled red cabbage through till the end of January. So that will be a given on one of the holidays. However the kids are after lamb this year so I might do a crown.

Mooly
    Free Member

Rib of beef. Best roast you can get. Blows turkey out of the water.

iDave
    Free Member

Venison here

duckman

jon1973 – Member
    Duck this year, with all the usual trimmings.

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

purser_mark – Member
    +1 for Duck.

Did this one year, left it in the oven and went cycling in the Malverns for the morning. Got home to some cripsy slow roasted lovliness, and I was actually hungry, as I hadn’t been eating Qulaity Street and peanuts all morning!

Jamie – Member
    Duck here also….and a bit of beef.

Posted 1 hour ago # Report-Post

🙁

camo16
    Free Member

Rib of beef. Best roast you can get. Blows turkey out of the water

Recipe for Torpedo Beef please.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Big leg of (good) mutton could go down well.

simon_g

We’ve had beef wellington for several years. Mushroom, parma ham and pastry around a good lump of beef fillet. Lovely.

Very easy to cook around other christmas stuff too, cook the beef and mushroom the day before and stick in the fridge, then assemble and stick in the oven on the day.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

4 bird roast… I’m so fricking excited I could burst, I don’t get excited about anything these days… all that meat though… wow.

trambler

Had sea bass last year in a local pub as I fancied something different. It was certainly different, came with all the Christmas trimmings, pigs in blankets, sprouts, roasties, etc etc? Etched in my memory though.

MRanger156
    Free Member

4 bird roast… I’m so fricking excited I could burst, I don’t get excited about anything these days… all that meat though… wow.

😯

Travis

mmmm Beef Wellington sounds lovely.

I’ve been thinking about making Daube as well, as I can get the ingredients here (hence the difficulty with the Turkey)

Jamie
    Free Member

duckman:

🙁

jon1973
    Free Member

duckman – it’s your raison d’etre. You’re just so god damn tastey.

duckman

And I am properly festively plump this year as well!

Cougar

OH wanted venison but after seeing what it costs I’m not buying it cos it’s dead deer.

Jamie
    Free Member

OH wanted venison but after seeing what it costs I’m not buying it cos it’s dead deer.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Venison planned here…….if i get my soddin act together 🙄

theprawn
    Free Member

nut roast

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m doing Lancashire Hot Pot, just because I’ve never cooked it before…

That, and working my way through a bottle of:

in honour of the recently departed.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Alternative Christmas Lunch’ is closed to new replies.