Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Alps Trip – Is my Bike sufficient?
  • nickc

Or I weigh less than you…fatty

Northwind

Touche! 😆

mdoubleu

@maxtorque – I was hoping to use Hans Dampf 2.35’s – they just about clear.

sherb
    Free Member

Was there 2 weeks ago for the pass-portes, took my nearly new Orange 5 pro with Hope M4’s, it felt perfect for everything i did. spent 4 days mixing the PPDS run with some xc and lots of runs down Morgins and Pres la Joux trails.

bland

In simple terms ride what you would in the peaks!

Or ride what you you would like to ride in the peaks but can’t be bothered to lug up the hills!

Anything will do for les arcs!

Hopefully see you on the trails next week, if we see steveo out I’ll say hi!

chrismac

We are still making our way home from spending a week with the whiteroom. it was an excellent week, lots of 1000m vertical descents on single track!!!! i would suggest you hire, the hire bikes they have are brand new orange alpine s that seem to have the perfect travel for the trip. I used an orange 5 and was fine with 140mm travel but 160 would have been better.

Enjoy your trip, we did.

Shackleton

I guess it depends on how you ride but I spent a week with them last year and I only remember one puncture. I used High rollers with single ply DH casings (and was glad I did) but others had 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC (crazy in my opinion), Nobby Nics, etc. There weren’t any thorny trails but pinch flats are a real possibility, so as long as you have good sidewalls and a reasonably high volume you should be fine.

Brakes wise – you can pull a 203 rotor more gently but it is very hard to pull a 180 harder! Go for the bigger option you can. Probably the cheapest option to improve your “alpine experience”.

And as other have said, shorter stem, wider bars if you want to but importantly make sure you are happy on the bike and used to riding it on demanding terrain with your tyres of choice before you go.

Personally from your bikes I’d take the ST4 but you will have more fun on the bike you feel happiest and most comfortable on.

Have fun!

P

Northwind

I could be wrong but I think I was the only person in our week not to flat. First day was tube-ma-geddon. Yvan made it to the last day before he bagged one though. Some of the group had some pretty xc tyre choices but then everyone was going at their own pace too.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Got back from two-weeks in Morzine on Saturday.

Rode both my Hustler (140mm FS) and my Handjob (120mm HT) whilst there. I run 2.35 Maxxis Minion front and High Roller rear as my usual set up so the tyres were fine. In the sloppy wet I revert to Maxxis Wet Screams but that’s ’cause I need all the help I can get 🙂

The Hustler has 185/160mm brakes, the Handjob 160mm brakes. Managed to get the rear on the Handjob to boil after a concerted effort to do so.

I say, run what you normally run. Bigger, more robust tyres are handy but not a necessity as are bigger brakes.

deadkenny
    Free Member

On tyres, I’d say just don’t go assuming the alps are all dry dusty rock trails. Swampy mud, persistent rain and wet roots can be found, as I discovered in Morzine 😀

Either take options to swap on conditions, or go with all rounder tyres that will clear mud okay, and grip on everything. If mostly descents don’t worry about draggy tyres.

More important is the casing. Go for tougher stuff, and tubeless or not, take plenty of spare tubes in case.

bluemooner
    Free Member

whatever you do theres plenty of bike shops over there if you need owt.

stevomcd
    Free Member

On tyres, I’d say just don’t go assuming the alps are all dry dusty rock trails. Swampy mud, persistent rain and wet roots can be found, as I discovered in Morzine

Les Arcs / Tarentaise ain’t Morzine! 😉

bland

Shush!

If they are happy with the PDS then let them be happy!

Northwind

I do believe Stevo just entered into a legally binding contract to provide me with sun and dust.

PS, check your email chief, I think I owe you the balance…

smatkins1
    Free Member

Yorkshire__Lad had some top advice there. I’m sure a bit of extra travel helps though!

smatkins1
    Free Member

or if you’re asking this question…
    no, it’s not! Your need to buy a new bike!! Fast!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stevomcd – so are you thinking about more capacity for next year ? FYI just started easy trail rising after December mishap, it’s been a bit of a bore. Hope to see you next winter.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Alps Trip – Is my Bike sufficient?’ is closed to new replies.