Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alps trip
  • immybob
    Free Member

Hi all.
    I’ve been looking at the possibility of an ALPS trip this Summer but as it’s quite last minute I can’t find anyone to come.! All my mates are either away or tied up. I know it’s a bit of a long shot & may be totally crazy but does anyone fancy going & sharing fuel/ferry/toll costs.!?

I’ve only ever been as to Switzerland a couple of times & that was Boarding so experience would be brilliant.!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Aside from places like here, maybe could try meetup.com

There are loads of MTB groups and trips arranged on there, though there’s a pay element to it, usually by the person who arranges it, but perhaps someone’s got something planned that may fit the bill.

Edit: In fact just noticed there’s one in the group I’m a member of – http://www.meetup.com/London-Mountain-Biking-Club/events/189648282/
    (you’ll probably have to sign up to view it, but should be free to sign up)

Maybe not quite what you’re after though. A bike & backpack tour going from place to place it seems. Still, you can also suggest meet ups for free I think.

There are also the various MTB holiday companies based in resorts (a fair number in Morzine for example). Though they mainly deal with groups booking a chalet and not the transport, it might be worth contacting some and see if any of their bookings are looking for extras to bump the numbers, etc.

If you’re okay with tagging along with people you don’t know that is.

finners

Where are you based?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I tried to start a thread on this last week and it crashed and burned. Might be interested in going around the 26th or 27th but need to be back by the 1st of August. I’ve been to the PDS a few times, I have some good lines on cheapish accomodation, quite fancy Pila for a change…

immybob
    Free Member

Hi all… Thanks for your comments, I’m based in Birmingham. I will have a look at ‘meetup.com’ didn’t think about that.

My dates are 4th – 9th August as that’s when I can get out of work… I have a van and can drive, just looking to share fuel etc. I was considering camping when there to keep the cost low.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@immy posting on here/social media is a decent idea. I’m looking at the week after and if dates had matched it might have worked.

I think the popular destinations like Morzine/Les Gets and possibly Bourg St Maurice you are more likely to get a taker.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bourg St Maurice, you have the option of train. Similar journey time as car and you can go overnight. Eurostar but change in Paris this time of year though to a TGV. In winter there’s a direct ski train.

Price maybe similar, or a little more though to shared drive.

Also, I’m not sure on carriage of bikes. I’ve heard some are being sent via freight now and no idea how long that would take. Still, I’m interested if there’s less hassle than flying (to/from airports, pulling bike apart, restrictions on what you can take, weight limits, extra charges for bike, bike ends up at different airport, etc). Then again, you’d need transfer or car hire at the other end, so maybe not.

lardman
    Free Member

@deadkenny + anyone else thinking of going to Bourg via train…….

We just booked the other day, and it was about £300 including pre-booked bikes to Bourg and back from St Pancras. Not particularly easy to work out the details, and booking bikes was a minefield.

You can travel (and pre-book) the section from London to Paris, but it’s not easy to book the onward journey with bikes. You can take them onto the train if they are under 120cm long, and they suggest taking them ‘into’ the sleeper couchette with you!!! not sure how thats gonna work out TBH.

We’re staying with White Room who will pick up from Bourg as it’s only a short drive away.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Alps trip’ is closed to new replies.