• This topic has 30 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by anjs.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Alps spares, do I have everything
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

Ok, I’m doing an order from crc for some spares for my 2 weeks biking holiday.

So far I have 2 rear tires, 1 front tire
    4 inner tubes
    1 chain
    1 spare mech
    2 shorts
    6 spare links
    a new full face,
    some new gloves,
    a new pump
    4 pairs of brake pads

is there anything I have forgot?

scaredypants

seatpost & saddle

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gear hanger, spokes, zip ties, cable, hose, fluid.

If you are tight on space bin 2 tyres and 2 tubes, the chain & some pads.

DM52
    Free Member

mech hanger

grrrrrrrr 27 seconds too late! 🙂

nickc

There are shops in the Alps you know…

Anyway, mech hanger?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

selection of spare bolts

Mech hanger(s)

Mech

Gear cable

Even though prices are more once your there, just check its not cheeper than pying for excess baggage on all that lot!

ianpinder
    Free Member

i’m driving so extra space isnt really a problem.

so need to add a mech hanger and a spare set of cables.

thomthumb
    Free Member

be wary of new gloves – 2500m above sea level is a shit place to find out they give you blisters!

grumm
    Free Member

Bloody hell, this has got me worried now!

uplink
    Free Member

If you’ve plenty of space, just empty your spares bin into the boot

fozzybear
    Free Member

a bath of cold water to dunk your bike in post descents 🙄 and dont forget your headphones to blockout your snoring 😆 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

Grumm I wouldn’t worry. I had a week there with 7 guys, all that was needed was 1 cable and a couple of tubes.

Depends on how you ride…and luck.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Body Armour?
    5 Ten impact shoes if you arent using SPD’s
    Puncture repair kit
    Fork oil
    Brake fluid

ianpinder
    Free Member

fozzybear, i have bought new brakes, well a hole new bike after mine was nicked, the ones with the vented rotors, the year before they were fine in the alps with duane. haha. luckly i am immune to my snoring…..

i have stealth rubber soled walking boots, have spare pins for my pedals. just trying to get my mum to remove my rear wheel so she can read which deraliure hanger i need as nicolai do five different der hangers for each model

fozzybear
    Free Member

where and where you going ian?
    we are all going to les arcs in a few weeks (we’ve had to split up this year as there are more of us going)

andywhit
    Free Member

>just trying to get my mum to remove my rear wheel

LOL!

ianpinder
    Free Member

going to morzine a week on friday for 2 weeks, only 95 pounds a week, so not to bad. (we have 2 spare spaces if anyone is interested.) not going with duiane but he will be out there at the same time. i only picked up my new bike last week, so have not ridden in anger since last alps trip.

if i earn lots (and they still have space) hopefully going to get out to les arcs at the end of august for a week before i start my new job.

fozzybear
    Free Member

we will wave to you 🙂 we are going to les arcs on the same day..

ianpinder
    Free Member

nice, our challet is selfcatering, so i am going to miss coming back to nice food, but due to finishing uni and buying my new bike i couldnt afford it. 🙁

MussEd
    Free Member

You’ve still not explained why you’re trying to get your mum to remove your rear wheel though?

sockpuppet

it is conventional to take all sorts of stuff, except thing you actually turn out to need.

based on this annoying principle, you seem set for some *other* failure… 😉

ianpinder
    Free Member

mussEd I left my bike at home in ndevon, and came back to bath to graduate and start moving out of my halls.

sockpuppet – thats what the spare bike is for

lank45
    Free Member

If your using anything Hope take spares, my Pro 2 rear hub had its’ pawl springs break and were impossible to find locally!

MussEd
    Free Member

How did she get on?

timber

went as far as a spare bike, forks and brakeset last time a group of us went out, and that was one set of forks and 2 sets of brakes short of what we needed – expensive trip

ianpinder
    Free Member

MussEd – not well, eventually her career was a biker and she managed to get the number i needed, damn nicolai for being so precise.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There are shops in the Alps you know…

Yes, indeed there are…..

€40 for cheap brake pads.
    €12 for an inner tube
    €350 for a Hope/DT back wheel

At those prices???
    😯

Take as many spares as you can carry. I filled my toolbox and ended up doing maintainance for our group of 4 and some othe guys on our campsite who’d mashed his back wheel. He paid me in beer. 🙂
    Take and carry some spokes. We saw one guy who had snapped 3-4 spokes all at once and his day was over as he had no spares…..

coogan
    Free Member

Jeez, you might as well take 3 of everything by the sounds of it. I’ve only every gone away with tubes and mech hanger and been fine.

ianpinder
    Free Member

last year i took less, and only used 2 tubes. the year before i took the same but lost my maxle out of my lyric and couldnt find another. lol. but this year as i am driving its not to much of a problem

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

I would add taking a spare rotor with you. I went to the Alps this year and on a second day my rear rotor cracked in 5 places. Luckily my front brake was working ok.

anjs
    Free Member

How about some tools to fix stuff when it breaks?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Alps spares, do I have everything’ is closed to new replies.