Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Alps or similar trip – what to expect?
  • xcentric
    Free Member

Starting to vaguely consider a trip to somewhere warm and mountainous like the Alps for a bike trip, but not quite sure what the deal is.

Am assuming it’s a bike version of skiing – lifts up, trails (or occasional off-track) back down. So some basic q’s: where to go, where to stay if there’s only a couple/four of us, what skill level needed? Are there large unavoidable jumps, or again is it like skiing – choose your routes and approaches to routes and anyone can do it. Any ideas of costs – accom/lift passes/eating in/out?

Bike – dedicated d/h bike better than Mojo (cheaper when I crash, better able to take the bigger hits, balances my lack of skill) or take the bike I’m more used to riding?

Fly, or train, or drive?

Views, experiences, trip reports, websites that answer this, blogs, etc. all welcome…..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pretty straight forward really, some people seem to make out its something it isnt.

Choose where you want to go
    Any bike will do
    Any skill level will do
    Go and ride some tracks up and down some big hills

Its dead easy

singlecrack
    Free Member

^^ + 1 also if it’s the Alps be prepared for it to be wet but enjoy.

ton

thick tyres and 2 sets of spare brake pads.

_tom_
    Free Member

What David says. Lift assisted bike holidays are awesome. Prepare to go through some brake pads, but other than that if your stuff is reasonably hardwearing it should last, it’s only a week or two.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dh bike would be crap unless your just hammering thendh tracks

The singletrack is much better than the motorway dh tracks – certainly in les arcs

Put some dualply tires on the mojo and youll be fine !

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Oh yeah, like the others said, thick tyres and some spare pads are useful

TimS
    Free Member

Morzine/Les Gets has runs graded by colour like skiing – I did a last-minute package deal to Les Gets in September last year. They hired us bikes (Kona hard-tails), which I rode down some of the downhill runs. It was tiring to use season-old knackered forks for a whole day on the washboard braking bumps, but definitely doable. I got a 5″ full-susser for the last day and it was eye-poppingly awesome.

if it’s the Alps be prepared for it to be wet but enjoy.

Also, it was beautiful weather: dry, warm and sunny. 😀

boriselbrus
    Free Member

It’s just dirt, only higher up.

Just the same as the UK, there are steep trails and less steep trails, some have jumps, some don’t.

Many of the best trails don’t have ski lifts to the top of them, so you may want to take something you can pedal up.

I took a Stumpy with 120mm rear and 140mm front and it was fine.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I’ve only been once. I was terrified in advance! Really it’s well suited to anyone with common sense and the common courtesy to ask at the LBS / rental place.

We stayed in a 2 centre Swiss deal and got the lifts up a few days and did XC type stuff for the downs. Still proper knackered – but getting a lift for 2000m climbs was proper luxury. There were LOTS of XC type routes down (down still invloves lots and lots of pedalling!). And stunning views! What we did always seemed to take a whole day – downhillish.

On other days we mixed it up a lot with walking and picnics (my missus isnt as keen as I on the MTB).

Go for it – it doesnt have to be mental!

Did I mention the views! PS my good lady cant wait to go back!

It’s expensive mind!

bruders338
    Free Member

I’m looking at the very thing this summer. but going on my own. have had so many people offer great advice just picking the right place…. i will be keeping a close eye on this thread..

sorry i could not add to the good advice on here thou

bigjim
    Aristotle
    Free Member

If you’ve ridden mountain trails in the UK then you’ll not be shocked by what you might find in the Alps, although as many of the hills are larger there is potential for much longer trails with more sustained difficulty/steepness -Brakes can take a lot of punishment.

If you’ve only ridden around fairly flat, non-technical trails in the Uk, then you may well be surprised by what you might find in t’Alps.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

big discs and well bled brakes, dual ply tyres, elbow and knee pads, gloves, XC lid of full face, it doesn’t matter.

spare brake pads as everyone says but I am yet to get through a set in a week out there.

tighten everything up on the bike too, especially chain ring bolts for some reason.

robarnold
    Free Member

+1 for Bike Village.

Turn up at Geneva with your bike on a Saturday and they’ll do the rest.

I should know, I used to work for them 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It is only expensive if you make it expensive. You can get cheap flights, if a few of you hire a self catered chat for a week, fresh pastries brekkie, fresh baguette made yourself at lunch and either cook yourself in the evening or eat out.

chakaping
    Free Member

aristotle +1

What kind of riding do you like doing in the UK and what kind of trails would you hope to ride in the Alps?

xcentric
    Free Member

chakaping, aristotle: used to ride mountain trails in the UK, mainly in Wales and the Lakes, but been away from mtbing for a few years. Back with enthusiasm now, so mountains and treks up and down and pushing are not unfamiliar. Been snowboarding and skiing out there (until a back injury & kids suspended that!) so know roughly what the scenery is like. Seemed to get a free pass in discussions with SHMBO last night, so things are looking positive…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is something for everyone, xc type riding to graded trails to pretty extreme northshore. There are big bustling resorts full or bikers or smaller places with only a handfull. IMO you are much better riding the bike you’re used to assuming it has reasonable trave, switch the tyres for something more suitable and your good to go.. DH bikes are for DH runs.

For “alpine” riding you can choose resorts in France, Switzerland, Italy or indeed a lot of other palaces, depends what you’re looking for.

Edit: have a look at the holiday ads in the mag, I’d say taking a guided trip in a chalet with flights, transfers etc included is a very good way to go and fixes a lot of the variable costs

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Alps or similar trip – what to expect?’ is closed to new replies.