Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Alps – lift assisted family week
  • DaveP

I am after some suggestions/advice for this summer.

We are looking to go to the alps this summer, to go to a resort, where we get to do some mileage, mostly down.
    Not looking to massive jumps, shore.
    Not really looking for a guide (every day) because I think that will be prohibitively expensive.

We went to Les Arcs a few years ago and had a fantastic time but the marked trails were limited and think we would have missed out on a lot of riding if the kids were bigger.

In the UK kids have done Cwmcarn XC (not DH), FoD (verderers, which they complained that apart from the last 5mins would have been boring), Afan (whytes, which they love).

Kids are 11+12 and pretty fit (but won’t tolerate 30mins climbs).

I have been with Bike Verbier in the past and had a great time, but I am not looking to spend £X,000s.

I have read a fair bit of positive stuff about La Roisere and have been there in the Winter. But apart from that I have an open mind about where we go, but want to be able to drive there in ~10hrs from Calais.

Any suggestions would be greatly received!

nickjb
    Free Member

The obvious answer is Morzine. Very family friendly with plenty of other stuff (pool, ice rink, skate park, play parks, etc). Lots of lifts, lots of XC trails similar to Cwmcarn level, well mapped. Easy to ride all day with less than 10 mins of pedaling up. There is downhill and shore but it isn’t all there is. It’s an easy drive, too

stevomcd
    Free Member

La Rosiere is definitely not what you’re looking for. There are a few new man-made trails (built last summer) but they’re pretty poor. There are great trails over on the Italian side at La Thuile, but it’s not at all well linked to La Ros.

There is some good natural singletrack, but not loads and it’s not well accessed from the lifts.

ianv
    Free Member

Deux alpes/Alpe d’huez/vaujany/os en oisans

Loads of riding and very little pedalling.

igm

We did Les Gets for a couple of years with our 3-4 year old on a LOCT seat on my bike. We’ll go back when the new addition is a bit older.
    Cost wise €250 got a two bed room 5 bed appartment with a kitchen/sitting/dinning area and French window, plus use of a garage for the bikes.
    Ferry cost £180ish as we went via Hull on the way out and Calais on the way back. Fuel and tolls were about £240.

Morzine has a new indoor swimming pool and might have a little more other than biking, but the trails are essentially the same.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Tignes. Cheap accommodation. Free uplift. Loads of activities (many free).

ianv
    Free Member

Tignes is definitely worth a look, maybe in combination with a few days in the beaufortaine (les saisie, areches)

DaveP

brilliant suggestions, please keep them coming

alexxx
    Free Member

I live in Morzine and I’d certainly say here or les gets is a family friendly place.

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Here is a link that may give you some ideas,
    http://www.summitdown.com/

MussEd
    Free Member

Chatel has a fair variety of trails, as well as loads of other stuff fir families to do off the bike. Zip-wire, horse riding, paragliding, devil carts etc etc…

texas
    Free Member

Tignes is really rather good for an cheap mountain biking holiday. I went there last year and it was great!

Tagged along with a summer ski trip, (which is another activity you can do whilst you are there!) So had lots of fun on the harder runs in the morning, and took the newbies around in the afternoon on the easier runs.

There is also a massive water jump, and airbag too. Plus this year they have linked to Val D, so 5 ski lifts for free! Plus loads of other activities all for free!

lucien

Deux alpes/Alpe d’huez/vaujany/os en oisans

Loads of riding and very little pedalling.

+1 😆

Stayed here Venosc Campsite which was by the river, down in the valley, a short push / ride up to the Venosc cable car which takes you to Les 2 Alpes. We could easily ride / drive along the river to Bourg, or up to Alpe D’Huez etc for more chair assisted riding. Cheap, by comparison to hotels etc, great location – and went with a 16 year old and 13 year old – both mega happy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Alps – lift assisted family week’ is closed to new replies.