Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Alps in the suminmer – Goggles (inc recommendations) or sunglasses?
  • sillysilly
    Free Member

Hi All,

Heading to Morzine this summer. Always made do with sunglasses and an open face. Recently got a MET Parachute full face and thought sunglasses are potentially not a great idea if I take a bad fall.

I blindly purchased the POC Iris Flow at a massive discount but am not a fan. They block way too much of my peripheral vision and are tight on the nose.

Anyone got any views or recommendations for goggles. POC’s up for exchange if anyone fancies / has a smaller head than me 🙂

dantsw13

I’ve worn a FF & shades plenty of times. Get some Bolle safety glasses for MTB – all polycarbonate BSA kitemarked safety wear.

Only £10 a pair on eBay with lots of lens options. I go for Bolle Contour with smoke lenses. I wear them for work all the time (aviation) and love them.

Northwind

I’ve never got on with shades in a fullface, the helmet always seems to catch the wind and blow it around my eyes… I like my basic Oakley Crowbar goggles, I added the #enduro double glazed steam-proof lens which is really worthwhile

But I’m not really a sunglasses dude anyway, I just usually wear clear safety glasses usually, very rarely do I want sunnies. (mostly for low winter sun in scotland!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If they are pinching your nose then trying on is the best way, mate got a set of very nice and pricey scott ones
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/scott-prospect-goggle-review-2016.html
    that seem to be good, but depending on where you are places that do DH stuff tend to have a good range in to try (with the helmet on)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Shades in a FF is a special look, at least with a Parachute you will fit in with the locals. Go the whole hog and break out the lycra & wear your pads over the top for the full ‘Euro’

More serious answer – if the goggle pinch – I find the different style of where the straps attach to the ‘wings’ on the side of the frame work better. I use the Oakley Airbrake for that reason – I appreciate they are bloody expensive though (the lenses are amazing however).

100% do a more sensibly priced version.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My main worry with glasses is the side of the frame poking me in the head or the nose piece gouging my eye on a bad tumble. The Bolle’s look like a functional bargain.

The Airbrake looks awesome. Now to find a place in Central London to try a few on.

The POC’s are so annoying as they felt fine walking round the house. It was only on hitting the trail I realised how badly they restrict vision. It’s always those 80% off sale bargains that end up being a waste of money :/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Alps in the suminmer – Goggles (inc recommendations) or sunglasses?’ is closed to new replies.