Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Alpkit tents
  • drinkmoreport
    Free Member

what do you think? 😕

MSP

From the specs they seem heavy and not particularly cheap, I suspect moving into tents has been a bigger challenge than expected for them.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Having tried, and discarded, one of the cheap Vango family tents, I like the idea of the ‘mothership’ base camp tent, but it’s pricey at £650 and Vaude have a robust geodesic design with an RRP of £399, so much as I love Alpkit and will always be eternally grateful to them for introducing me to down sleeping bags, I think I’ll be passing on this occasion.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m a fan of Alpkit’s sleeping bags, but I think they’ve positioned themselves weirdly with these tents.

Alpkit have a good reputation for making cracking bags for the money. All their kit is budget stuff that performs well.

However, their tents are very similar in design to more establish (and proven) models/brands, yet the Alpkit tents aren’t much cheaper.

I would be sticking my money on the more established brands until the Alpkit tents have been around for a few years. I would have though they would have reduced the price for market entry, just until the good reviews “hopefully” come flooding in. But surely many people are anxious at buying a relatively untested tent for the winter season from a company with no experience making tents and who primarily focus on budget kit? It was certainly enough for me to avoid for a wee while. £50-100 cheaper and I might have considered taking a punt this year.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

after speaking to them yesterday at the Tyne Tour and having the chance to take a good look too as they had all three pitched, i thought they were spot on.

the reason for the price is that they simply couldn’t make them any cheaper, they wanted to wait untill they were compleatly happy with the product befor sale you see, three years in the making.

The tents themselves apppear to be very well made and designed too with all the “i wish my tent had such and such” or “if only my tent had ?” in place. i also like very much the thought that if it fails, they will fix or replace free of charge but if i break it, they will also fix for free just i pay for postage.

yes it is a step away from the cheap prices that we all have come to know and love with Alpkit…..but they simply couldn’t make a cheap tent, who would but and trust one if it were say, £100 cheaper?

i personaly am not 100% convinced but would say 99%

HermanShake
    Free Member

I was heavily disappointed by the price, Terra Nova in a sale wins in my eyes. I was surprised by the weights they listed too.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Interesting this. I saw a “prototype” alpkit tent about 2 years ago. It was very very not like what they have ended up selling.

The prototype was a 1 / 2 man, lightweight tent that you could backpack with or adventure race at a push. I was really looking forward to them.

What they have are expedition tents. Not in the slightest interesting to me 🙁

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I looked and think they are well designed and thoughtout, but like above, the price point means I’d stick with the established brands I’ve used for years Macpac, Terra Nova etc

Pyro

Terra Nova in a sale wins in my eyes

Jim from Alpkit made this point at the Shakeout event a few weeks back. The problem that they have with their tents is that they are priced very similarly to matching tents from people like Terra Nova etc, but no-one ever buys a TN tent at full price. There is always a retailer selling on stuff from the bigger companies at below-retail, and because a bigger manufacturer will be knocking out more units, they can afford to take that hit. AK don’t work like that, so these tents will invariably appear to be highly priced, when actually they’re fairly similar.

And for what it’s worth, there’s a fantastic attention to detail on them. The big basecamp tent especially, lots of little bits like storage pockets, loft spaces, eyelets for lighting etc that you’ve probably gone “i wish my tent had…” a thousand times. They look like really nice bits of kit to me.

peterfile
    Free Member

Jim from Alpkit made this point at the Shakeout event a few weeks back. The problem that they have with their tents is that they are priced very similarly to matching tents from people like Terra Nova etc, but no-one ever buys a TN tent at full price. There is always a retailer selling on stuff from the bigger companies at below-retail, and because a bigger manufacturer will be knocking out more units, they can afford to take that hit. AK don’t work like that, so these tents will invariably appear to be highly priced, when actually they’re fairly similar.

And for what it’s worth, there’s a fantastic attention to detail on them. The big basecamp tent especially, lots of little bits like storage pockets, loft spaces, eyelets for lighting etc that you’ve probably gone “i wish my tent had…” a thousand times. They look like really nice bits of kit to me.

As soon as some favourable reviews start doing the rounds in the magazines/clubs/internet, people will be cool with the pricing.

But at the moment, regardless of availablity of other tents at sale prices, Alpkit are asking people to pay the same price for a new/untested product which is produced by a company with a great reputation in budget sleeping bags and cookware, at the same price that you can pick up a very similarly designed tent which has 20 years of field testing by thousands of people.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Alpkit are great. I’ve got a Skyehigh 800 and it’s very well put together and does the job brilliantly for £140.

But that’s the problem, I’m looking at it as a £140 bag. So I’m not comparing it to Rab and Phd. I appreciate that they don’t want to market it as a budget tent, so they want to price it alongside comparitive TN tents.

But where is my incentive to buy the Alpkit tent? What’s the driving factor for me to forget about the tried and tested tents and take a punt on the Alpkit this winter? If it’s a load of neat pockets then I’ll stick with the Quasar.

I really want to buy one, but it just doesn’t seem to add up at the moment. Perhaps I need to see one in the flesh (which is another MASSIVE problem they will face due to their sales model).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As above they seemed heavy to me for the price and I wonder if they have loaded them with too many features hence the weight.

peterfile
    Free Member

As above they seemed heavy to me for the price and I wonder if they have loaded them with too many features hence the weight.

I dunno, the weight (of the Kangri anyway) seems alright for a 4 season geodesic mountain tent.

I’d be keen to see how sturdy it is. 3.5kg isn’t alot for £300 goedesic that can take a beating.

BadlyWiredDog

Interesting this. I saw a “prototype” alpkit tent about 2 years ago. It was very very not like what they have ended up selling.

The prototype was a 1 / 2 man, lightweight tent that you could backpack with or adventure race at a push. I was really looking forward to them.

What they have are expedition tents. Not in the slightest interesting to me

That would be because the tent you saw was the prototype for their lightweight tent(s) which are probably coming out next year.

BadlyWiredDog

I think the weight’s actually par for the course for a geodesic mountain tent made with tough fabrics, using DAC alloy poles and with two doors, porches and internal storage pockets. There ain’t no built-in shower, barbecue etc.

The only really light geodesics I’m aware of are the Crux Bomb thing and Force Ten have a similarly light – that’s around 2.5kg – geodesic out next spring. Both are light because they use the sort of lightweight fabrics you normally find on ultra-lightweight tents, but while I’m sure they’re not exactly feeble, if I’m pitched in the middle of a Cairngorm hoolie, I think I’d rather carry some extra weight and have bombproof fabrics.

Anyway, they’re doing a try before you buy scheme aren’t they, so you can always have a go with one for a week then deduct the hire fee from the price of a new one if you choose to buy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

They are significantly heavier for a similar spec to my geodiesic tent

It certainly seemed to me that a few less features could reduce the weight

BadlyWiredDog

Which features would you choose to remove then?

markenduro
    Free Member

Not too sure about how they pitch with the inner first, always though that is not too good an idea if you are pitching it up in the rain as the inner gets soaked. They generally make good stuff though so it would probably be worth a try.

peterfile
    Free Member

The thing is, there is definitely a point at which you can take a sturdy mountain tent down to, and then you get into super expensive materials to get it any lower.

A tough fly with 2 porches, minimum of 4 strong poles and an inner with a tough groundsheet is going to be difficult to get under 3kg for sensible (e.g. under £500) money.

I’d happily carry an extra kilo between 2 for something that was bombproof than lose the weight and worry about the tent over an extended trip in inclement weather.

peterfile
    Free Member

Not too sure about how they pitch with the inner first, always though that is not too good an idea if you are pitching it up in the rain as the inner gets soaked. They generally make good stuff though so it would probably be worth a try

I pitched and struck my Quasar (inner pitch first) 7 times in 7 days in constant rain last month and I didn’t have any problems.

It’s actually quite easy to pitch an inner first tent in the rain just by covering it with the fly. Sure, it’s not perfect, but I’d rather have the strength of the inner first in exchange for a bit of extra faffing about. The good thing about an inner first pitch is that you normally get it perfect straight away, so if the weather is horrific the tent is sturdy as soon as you get it up. I’ve found outer first tents need a bit of tweaking to get right (especially if high winds), so you often spend more time mucking about outside in the crap weather.

Pitching an inner first in rain and 50mph winds is a totally different story though…….. 🙄

convert

Curious company Alpkit. I’ve got quite a bit of their kit – duvet jacket, sleeping bag, dry bags, bivvi bag, rucksack thing and a few other odds and sods. I’d describe them as a company for weekend warriors – most of the company’s stuff is well made and technically advanced for the price but not “expedition” proof and not top end market sector. If I worked in a centre using my kit day in day out I’d be concerned about alpkit stuff lasting the distance. They are also enormously frustrating to deal with as so often what you want is out of stock so you have to buy it when you can rather than when you need it. At the moment I can live with that because the value is good but gives the company an early days “On One” feel.

With this in mind I don’t think they have the right profile for selling high value, high quality tents for the same price online that I could walk into Cotswold, feel the fabric and buy a “big brand” version. I would have being doing the same as USE and launching a sub brand to use alongside the existing one (Exposure lights in USE’s case) to keep the two identities separate.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BWD

IIRC they used sliding buckles to tension the inner. Thats a good few grammes, two doors? it all looked a bit belt and braces to me. taken the best bits of all tents and added them to it

Its just an opinion but for me they are too heavy for the money.

I don’t want to carry that extra kilo – I personally would take a simpler tent to save that kilo

BadlyWiredDog

IIRC they used sliding buckles to tension the inner. Thats a good few grammes, two doors? it all looked a bit belt and braces to me. taken the best bits of all tents and added them to it

Its just an opinion but for me they are too heavy for the money.

I don’t want to carry that extra kilo – I personally would take a simpler tent to save that kilo

If they did weigh a kilo less, you’d be here saying that they were underbuilt, you’d prefer an extra door, there’s no reliable way of tensioning the inner tent… your post would read:

IIRC they there’s no reliable way to tension the inner. That would only be a few extra grammes, one door? it all looked a bit minimalist to me. They’ve just ignored all the best features from other tents.

Its just an opinion but for me they are too light and fragile looking for the money.

I would rather carry an extra kilo – I personally would prefer a tougher tent with two entrances. 😉

Anyway, they are what they are. Big deal. The only way you would save a kilo off the weight of a Kangri or whatever it’s called would be by using very light, very expensive fabrics and smaller diameter, or swaged poles – you’d end up with a more expensive and less robust tent. If you removed the simplified secondary door, you’d mostly save the weight of a zip.

Aidy
    Free Member

There is always a retailer selling on stuff from the bigger companies at below-retail, and because a bigger manufacturer will be knocking out more units, they can afford to take that hit. AK don’t work like that, so these tents will invariably appear to be highly priced, when actually they’re fairly similar.

Um, if retailers sell other tents cheaper, then surely AK are priced higher. They don’t just appear to be priced higher. Actually: One costs more than the other.

RRPs might be fairly similar, though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BWD – I have a geodesic tent made of robust materials a similar size that is under 3 kgs. Its 3 pole not 4 but the footprint is similar and it has stood up to the worst of scottish weather for hundreds of nights out. When I do such things as sawing the handle of my toothbrush to save a few grammes than a kilo is a lot. My tent tensions by have multiple eyelets in the fiuxings

Its just an opinion and where you put your priorities but for me the extra weight is not worth the extra features

peterfile
    Free Member

When I do such things as sawing the handle of my toothbrush to save a few grammes than a kilo is a lot.

😀

I have a funny feeling that you’re being serious.

Without a word of a lie, I have to carry my girlfriend’s perfume on a weekend wildcamp “just in case we end up going for a few drinks at the Clachaig”.

I just man up, carry the weight and be grateful that she doesn’t stink when guys walk past her in the pub.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have been known to do that with my toothbrush. 🙂 I thought thats waht all lightweight campers do. 😳

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think the weight’s actually par for the course for a geodesic mountain tent made with tough fabrics, using DAC alloy poles and with two doors, porches and internal storage pockets.

Very much agree with this, pretty standard weight for that design IMO. I’m a plodder and I’d rather have the extra porch, all round big internal pockets, loft, lots of guylines etc

The loft tabs are a really good feature I think, but a bit disappointed that AK don’t actually sell a loft. You’d have to buy a Terra Nova one and hope it adapts.

I’m guilty of the sawn off toothbrush, only done it on hight alt bivi trips abroad tho, not sure I’ve ever bothered in the UK.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

BWD, I for one will be looking forward to the lighweight one next year 🙂

billyboy
    Free Member

I looked at these on their site….It looked like you had to put them up “inner first” and take them down “inner last”….SO the inner tent will get as wet as the outer tent if it is raining…. which is something I’m not a fan of….and is not “UK Friendly”.

peterfile
    Free Member

I looked at these on their site….It looked like you had to put them up “inner first” and take them down “inner last”….SO the inner tent will get as wet as the outer tent if it is raining…. which is something I’m not a fan of….and is not “UK Friendly”.

I really don’t get why people keep saying this.

It’s really not that difficult to keep the inner sufficiently dry when pitching in the rain (unless you’re pitching in an absolute storm, in which case any tent is going to be difficult to pitch). It is easier with 2 people, and given none of alpkits tents are solo, this works fine:

1. pull out the fly and inner from the bag
    2. lay the inner out on the ground, pulling the fly over the top as you do
    3. feed the poles through (having a mate at the other side helps a lot)
    4. push the poles up into position and peg/guy out the rest as normal.

do this in reverse when striking (give the fly a good shake before you do to get the majority of water off).

I just spent 7 days pitching and striking in abysmal weather in the highlands. Packed it away and unpacked it wet every day. Never stopped raining. The inner was mildly damp at very worst.

It’s really not that much of an issue.

brack
    Free Member

TJ

Save weight on your toothbrush altogether

Slug on a stick mate…just add a pinch of salt and you’ve got all the abrasive/foaming qualities you need.

Just the job ….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I really don’t get why people keep saying this.

What Peterfile says, sounds fine when sat at a keyboard, but my experience in reality is a far cry from that.
    I kicked in the Geo design after some pretty horrid experiences trying to put geo tents up in the rain, wind, dark (pick two). I’m not bashing the design, it has massive advantages in other respects.
    However, following many years using geos, my priorities when buying a new tent were for outer pitch first, fast as possible. My Macpac Olympus (light weight version is called Mineret) pitches in about 2mins, whole tent pitches in one go, the 3 pole sleaves are captive, so you just push thru from one end and tension, stick 4 pegs in and climb in. might take 5 mins to pitch if you have to fiddle with the guys.

jam-bo

does any of that matter as most will be transported in the back of a car and put up in a muddy field at mountain mayhem?

winston_dog
    Free Member

I have a geodesic tent made of robust materials a similar size that is under 3 kgs. Its 3 pole not 4

That’s not a geodesic then.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes it is. the poles cross in a geodesic dome shape just a 3 pole. its not a tunnel tent as in the pic above.

winston_dog
    Free Member

3 poles not a geodesic. Not possible.
    Semi-geodesic.
    “A pole configuration must usually have 5 or more cross-over points for it to be considered fully geodesic”

duckman

TandemJeremy – Member
    I have been known to do that with my toothbrush. I thought thats waht all lightweight campers do.

Posted 18 hours ago # Report-Post

It is.

peterfile
    Free Member

What Peterfile says, sounds fine when sat at a keyboard, but my experience in reality is a far cry from that.

It was fine when I did it for a week in constant rain in October.

It was fine when I did it at 9pm on Friday night in the rain.

I completely agree, wind AND rain is an entirely different beast, since keeping an inner pitch first dry relies on being able to keep the fly in place. It is tricky with 2 people and near on impossible with one.

But, if the weather is really grim, I still prefer being in a geodesic. So it’s a balance, if I get caught in crap weather, it can be a pain pitching inner first compared to outer, but once it’s up I’m glad for the form/shape and it makes it feel worthwile for the rest of the weekend.

I suppose it’s all personal preference and experience like anything else though. I’ve just had bad experiences in outer pitch first when the wind starts hammering the tent.

To be honest, thinking about it, there’s probably a pretty fair balance of pros and cons between both designs. I’d be happy with a well designed tent in either form 😀

convert

Is there a reason why geodesic as a format has to mean inner first – volume I guess.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I have been known to do that with my toothbrush. I thought thats waht all lightweight campers do.

Wow. Being that concerned about weight, you should proably just bivvy. Could save another kilo at least from your kit weight which, as you mentioned, is a lot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit tents’ is closed to new replies.