Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Alpkit sleeping mats – anyone use them?
  • markyd

Off to the alps mountaineering in a couple of weeks and I'm considering getting an Alpkit Ario mat. Anyone here used one? I currently have an old Therm-o-rest ultra lite 3/4 length and fancy something full length to keep my feet off the ground. The Therm-o-rest prolite (seems to be the current equivalent of the old ultralite) is way too expensive so was thinking about the Alpkit one. We will be bivvying/camping up on the glaciers I think (first time for me).

higgo
    Free Member

I've used one but only for summer camping in the UK so I don't know what I can tell you that would be relevant to bivvying on glaciers.
    They seem well made, if that helps?

sweepy
    Free Member

they've not been out long so the're a bit of an unknown. All I can say is that my fat airic is more comfortable than my bed.

higgo
    Free Member

Ooops, sorry – it's the Airic I use (couple of years old).

josh1982
    Free Member

Why not have a look at the Pacific Outdoor Equipment Peak Oyl Aero Mountain. It has space man stuff in side to make sure you are warm all night! Pretty good looking mat to me. Few people i know have used and got them and rate them pretty well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Without wanting to sound holier than thou, we tend use good ole foam mats when out doing it for real, air beds are a heavy and unecessary luxury IMO.
    Why don't you use the 3/4 air bed and just stick your rucksack under your feet?

This is on the Glacier Blanc in the Ecrin Park

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

If the Ario is as well made as the Fat Airic then it'll be a good piece of kit.
    Also the Ario is lighter than the Therm-o-rest

josh1982
    Free Member

pacific outdoor i noticed do a hybrid pad which is foam/self inflating style with closed cell foam for the rest of the body….thus comfy and light but not as packable.

markyd

I was looking at foam mats, but whilst they aren't heavy they are very bulky. Might order a full length ario to see what it is like.

Any recommendations for Bivvi bags?

spandex_bob

I've used a 3/4 thermarest on high bivis, works well provided the rope's under your head as a pillow and your rucsac is under your legs / feet. For a bivi-bag I use a Rab survival zone, pretty basic but then alps tend to be dry up high. Also we take a tarp if there are a couple of us, seems to make a big difference to temp but might be psychological. Well worth it, especially if the route allows you to stash it all and collect it on the way back down.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit sleeping mats – anyone use them?’ is closed to new replies.