Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Alpkit Numo – any good?
  • nickswolves
    Free Member

Looking to buy a sleeping mat originally and looked at Alpkit Dirtbag but quite bulky if I want to use it for biking as well as camping. See they now do the Numo which gives 7cm thickness – anyone got one that can vouch for comfort, quality etc?

matt_outandabout

Quality of Alpkit always seems good (mats, drybags and clothes bought here). Can’t comment on comfort.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Most on here are usually tripping up over each other to rave about the stuff.

petrieboy

We’ve got a pair of Alpkit dozers which I think are 70mm thick. Very comfortable and faultlessly reliable. The dog put his claw through one of them, but the supplied repair kit was easy to use and has stood up well.

nickswolves
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Most on here are usually tripping up over each other to rave about the stuff.

No Numo users though……yet 🙂

prettygreenparrot

Ugh! I have what they’re calling an Airic Airo 180 I think – thin, full length and rolls up neatly. It works well (when I remember to take it) and is comfy enough. I’ve used a similar mat to the numo and it was horrid: rolling, easy to come off, squishy and a pain to inflate. Perhaps Alpkit have cracked it though?

Wish I’d seen this video though. And I almost wish I’d gone for crazy chilli rather than camouflage olive/dirt colour.

iain1775
    Free Member

Yard sale on Saturday if your anywhere near the M1 junction26/27 they are 10 mins off motorway

shaggy

In the name of full disclosure I’m sponsored by Alpkit, but I’ve been lucky enough to try many of their mats. This is all IMO. The Numo is great- very comfy and light. When you roll over it doesn’t scrunch like a crisp packet as some better known manufacturers mats do. Dirtbag et al are a bit more comfortable and easier to blow up. They are also a lot bulkier and heavier so harder to carry. Quality is the same on both mats. Which mat suits you depends on your priorities really.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Cheers Shaggy, good to get a users opinion. Does the Numo protect you from rough ground well or can you still feel the bumps etc.?

Sounds like if I want one for biking trips and camping from car get the Numo, if camping from the car only get the Dirtbag – sound about right?

billyboulders
    Free Member

No experience of the numo but I have had three different “wee airic” mats from alpkit. They all de-laminated, to their credit alpkit were helpful and friendly and replaced them no question but in the end I got fed up with the mats failing and went and bought another brand which has been fine. The alpkit hunka bivvy bag I have on the other hand has given me a few years excellent service now and is a great product but I’m afraid I won’t be buying anymore mats from them.

shaggy

Yeah, it still protects you from the ground, just not quite as well as the foam filled mats if something really starts to poke through.

Sounds like if I want one for biking trips and camping from car get the Numo, if camping from the car only get the Dirtbag – sound about right?

Yup.

BadlyWiredDog

Yep, used a Numo, it’s very comfortable given how light and compact it is. A friend’s borrowed it twice now as a weight-saving measure and loves it.

Graham_Clark

Same here… Use mine lots and apart from being a bit squeaky when I move (according to those I’ve shared a sleeping space with) it has been great.

nickswolves
    Free Member

Top stuff, looks like the Numo then cheers

Spin
    Free Member

Before you go for it…

Will you be using it in a bivi bag?

When I did I found the extra volume made the bivi bag a very tight fit and stopped my sleeping bag from lofting fully resulting in a very cold night.

Otherwise a good bit of kit although mine has developed a slow puncture.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Am I alone in thinking rectangular full width mats (neoair mostly) more comfy than 50cm mummy-shaped mats?

tallie
    Free Member

I’ve got a Numo and other self inflating Alpkit mats -all good bits of kit.

The Numo is an inflating mat and has the following advantages and disadvantages compared to a self inflating mat:

Positives – It packs down smaller and is lighter than a self inflating mat of the same size and thickness.

Negatives – It’s not as warm (ie has a lesser r rating and therefore doesn’t insulate form the ground as well), it won’t fit inside smaller bivi bags therefore you need to consider using a groundsheet if using on rocky ground (some people use thin packing foam which also increases the r rating) and (a minor point) it takes longer to inflate.

I tend to use the self inflating mats for car camping and the Numo for Spring, Summer and Autumn bivi’s and lightweight camping. For winter bivi’s I pinch my daughter’s alpkit “little kippa” self inflating mat combined with a bit of old karrimat.

Al – I agree bigger mats are more comfortable but you do get used to having a smaller mat and not moving about as much; all depends on where you’re prepared to compromise in terms of weight / comfort / cost.

tallie
    Free Member

inflatable not inflating

cynic-al
    Free Member

ta, I think I’ve not got used to the small mat and CBA…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Numo – any good?’ is closed to new replies.