Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Alpkit Koala on a roadbike?
  • andy8442
    Free Member

Has anyone used a Alpkit Koala saddle bag on a road bike? I want to do some rides in the dales in the winter, and want something to carry an extra layer or two, just in case! My main concern is, is it too big? and will I have the clearance from my back tyre. All the pictures I’ve found ,show them attached to MTB’s so someone who’s used one with a road bike would be nice.

dovebiker

Depends on how much clearance you have between saddle and tyre? Plus you’ll need at least a couple of cm clearance IME as the bag will slip down the seatpost a bit. Orlieb large seatpack is another option – doesn’t slip down either.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Hi. Yes it works great, as long as you have enough seat post probably 15cm minimum. Have a look at the wildcat tiger with a alpkit tapered bag. I think wildcat also now do tapered bags but not tried them. I prefer this solution to the koala. picture of my bike in full setup

scotroutes

Similar but different…

I’ve used a Revelate Viscacha on a roadbike.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oE3PEk]P1010510[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

I’ve also seen various (Revelate, Wildcat, Alpkit) seatpacks on a number of roadbikes – mostly those doing LEJOG or JOGLE – so it can definitely be done depending upon your saddle/tyre clearance.

The largest of the Ortlieb saddle bags is a good call. I use one of them to carry an insulated jacket, spare pair of gloves and a couple of other bits on my roadbike when conditions dictate.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qPh4ab]DSC_0048[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

rilem

It works ok with my Boardman. Alpkit have a good returns policy so give it a try.

steezysix
    Free Member

Just Google images for transcontinental race bikes, you’ll see loads of examples of people using saddlepacks without any trouble. Be aware that most designs work best if they’re full up – half empty ones tend to swing/flap around.

JoB
    Free Member

are you sure you need a Koala for just a couple of extra layers?

a Kowari should do fine if you’re stuck on getting an Alpkit bag

kuman
    Free Member

I really like my koala. Have used it for overnighter in Peak this year, also use it for occasional commuting on Day One. I think it would be to big just for extra layer or two.

MoreCashThanDash

Like this?

OCB
    Free Member

The amount of space will be the issue I guess …
    I normally (*1) use a Wildcat Tiger with an Alpkit drybag shoved in it.
    I do tend to use a long pedal strap to just tighten everything up a bit and limit the wag when the bag is only partially full (when I can’t decide what to wear) – plus it’s an extra luggage point / strap if I need it (or if something breaks).

(*1) I sometimes use a Bikepack.eu bag.

andy8442
    Free Member

Thanks all for the pics. I’d never have a problem filling it. Packing light is not in my nature.

iainc

Revelate Pika is designed specifically for this purpose.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Alpkit Koala on my friends Tricross

And kind of in shot on my XLS on same trip

Filled with a sleeping bag, bivi bag and gas canister.

ploeb
    Free Member

here’s mine
    linky

iainc

have a check of seatpost height and overall saddle rail to tyre clearance. This is my Revelate Pika on my previous CDF. I couldn’t get the bigger one, like scotroutes’, in due clearance.

[/url]P1010123 by iain.clow, on Flickr[/img]

slackboy

Fits fine on my Tripster, and my seat is fairly low. Its stuffed with a change of clothes for 2 in the photo below

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Here’s a couple more where it’s been fine too. No clearance issues at all, although saddles quite high I suppose.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit Koala on a roadbike?’ is closed to new replies.