Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Alpkit enduro pod/fuel cell (medium)
  • zilog6128

Ditching the frame bag so I can carry a bottle so looking at a small top tube bag for shorter rides to carry: 29er tube, co2, multitool, tyre levers, tubeless repair kit & small bag of spares (powerlink, brake pads, etc). Will all this fit into the Enduro Pod? Or can anyone recommend another similar/better product from somewhere else, that’s in stock in less minging colours?!

cokie

I use the Alpkit Fueld Pod in medium and mount it like this. Works really well. Probably a bit too big for your application, but takes a tube, pump, multitool, tyre leavers, gels, spares and more. It tucks nicely out the way and even when packed is no wider than a water bottle.

Alternatives for your application is the new Wee Cog top tube bag. It’s not on their site yet, but on their FB page HERE

Or possibly the Wee Cog handle bar bag in large HERE.

Big fan of their stuff. UK made, quality and nice people.

faustus

I’m not a fan of the way top tube bags are mounted. The velcro round the headtube is difficult to get tight if the tube is tapered, or worse it rubs a lot if it’s round the steerer tube spacers or the top of the headset and you can feel the drag on the steering a little. It annoys me that so much bikepacking bag mounting is a bit of an afterthought (especially handlebar rolls with a bottom loop that goes around the headtube).

Anyway, what cokie has done is a good idea, and i’m going to try my medium fuel pod, see if gets in the way of legs. Good way to carry spares and food if you just want to take a bottle and ditch the pack – carries a bit more than a saddle pack and easier to access/stay cleaner.

jamesg55
    Free Member

https://www.76projects.com/shop/thepiggy

might be a tad too small but I think you could get it all in

40mpg

I use a fuel pod similar to cokie but bottom of seat tube as my bottle cage is a bit lower.

Mines a large, can fit a fat bike tube, tools, wallet and phone. Nicely tucked out of the way down there.

whitestone
    Free Member

One problem I have with the Alpkit top-tube bags is that the material along the base of the bag is rather slippy so the bag tends to flop to one side. It really should have something like Hypalon to prevent this.

For stuff like bike spares, tools, etc. I have a bag on the underside of the downtube. I would say who made it but it’s not on their website yet 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

I had the alpkit fuel pod on my winter commuter but as above I found it difficult to get the straps tight and it always seemed to sit at a squint.

I could have solved it but using a couple of toe straps I guess instead of the super dooper sticky velcro but I sold it instead.

zilog6128

Hmmm maybe not ideal then. Unfortunately this has to go on a FS so no room to mount it (or that Piggy thing which otherwise looks quite good!) in the front triangle. Under the downtube could be a good option though…

weecog
    Free Member

Rail– top tube bag is now available online on Wee Cogs website…

Andy

Reason why the fuel pods “flop” to one side is the velcro strap at the end furthest from the headset cant be done up tight enough. An easy fix is to put a zip tie on at that point and do it up tight. Also as with all frame bags plenty of electrical tape where it comes in contact with the frame/headset stops unsightly frame rub.

dragon
    Free Member

Would something from the Specialized SWAT range of an old fashioned saddle bag not be a better bet?

IME Alpkit stuff is fine for the occasional ride, but just doesn’t have the level of detail and thought put into it, for something that you’d want to use all the time.

cheers_drive

What bike is it zilog and what size? I can give you idea if The Piggy fits or you can download a fit guide from the website.

iain1775
    Free Member

Ortlieb micro saddle bag, mounts well away from my Reverb carries tube, tyre levers, multitool
    Pump/CO2 attached to bottle cage mount
    Rest (phone,keys, cash) in pockets
    Or I combine the Ortlieb with a Source Hipster bumbag c/w 1.5l bladder if I don’t want bottles/pump etc on frame or for longer rides

thwapy
    Free Member

Watching this thread with interest as I nearly bought a Fuel Pod just the other day for this purpose, now out of stock in the steel, so…

Anyone using Apidura stuff? Top tube pack extended?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit enduro pod/fuel cell (medium)’ is closed to new replies.