Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Alpinestars bike??
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

my brother in law has been given an alpinestars bike, RS forks margura brakes etc. just wondered are they worth anything before he does some thing stupid with it??

mtbfix

Check out retrobike.co.uk. If I had the space I’d kindly offer to take it off his hands 😉

Amos
    Free Member

Pics please! I’m not sure it sounds like one of the legendary early 90’s ones as they were fully rigid affairs ( I realise you can put rock shox on later before it’s pointed out to me) but I do remember there being a promo bike a few years back, put me out of my misery and post a pic!

rs
    Free Member

is that the one with the elevated stays?

cubemeup
    Free Member

im going up the house tomorrow, im sure it lime green and white and maybe another colour

user-removed
    Free Member

I had that elevated stays one ^^^^ in lurid purple. It also had RST forks when there wasn’t much else about. Spent many happy hours watching them move (slightly) as I went over bumps 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

I had a pre elevated chainstay al-mega DX in Yellow. Used to put every penny into it from my part time jobs. twas stolen! Seem to think there was one in the background of a recent copy of the mag. Same spesh bottlecage I had on mine too. Made me do a double take!!

Lovely bikes and I’d guess there is a decent market for them still?

cubemeup
    Free Member

its a Al-mega DX. anyone heard of it?

mrmo
    Free Member

heard of it, but is it elevated stays or not?

this

or this

cubemeup
    Free Member

yes but,its the same as the top one. is it worth anything??

eshershore
    Free Member

one of my mates at Uni had an Alpinestars Al-Mega DX with elevated stays which was white with some lurid fluro colours, and huge 1 & 1/4″ stem and fork steerer / headtube

I used to think it made my Marin Pine Mountain quite plain, until his chainstays cracked (bike about 8 months old), and the warranty replacement frame’s chainstays cracked (after a few months)…

most of those frames cracked in the stays, even with quite mild use 🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

i doubt it is worth much, go to retrobike and see what someone would offer, they did have a habit of dropping there bottom bracket shells.

singlespeedstu

I had an al mega dx too.
    The none e stays one.
    It was supposed to be an upgrade from my malcolm smith racing (What they were called before alpinestars) but was no where near as good and the frame cracked.

If anyone’s got any pictures of the ms racing i’d love to see them. One of the best bikes I’ve ever had.

Edit there’s some info on the whole msr alpinestars thing here.
    http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=858423&sid=11c30f20fa2be0ced4582195d7fc2af1

foureyes
    Free Member

swoon

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

theres an Al-Mega seeing daily use as a commuter in Oxford, usually see it locked up around town. Looks in good nick for regularly-used bike.

Not a true classic that is going to pay off your brothers Xmas bills but someone on retrobike might have fond memories and a thick wallet…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Alpinestars bike??’ is closed to new replies.