Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Alpine riding, Shimano cooking fat brakes
  • simonside
    Free Member

Which brake pads for big descents in the Alps.
    Shimano SLX levers/calipers,

Cheers S-S

greeble
    Free Member

In the dry, organic.

they wont last 1 run in the wet though. as they’re a soft compound. but in the dry they are a fantastic pad

Kevlar are good too.

avoid sintered, they’ll overheat in no time

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Organic ones, they insulate better than sintered pads, and have more power.

If you’re the type that cooks your brakes (big bones, or you drag your brakes), try big rotors and/or those new finned pads if they’re the new SLX’s.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Turned my rotors blue/purple in Garda last year with SS kevlars in M770 XTs with 180/160 rotors.
    25,000m of descent in a week. Went through one full set and 50% of the second set in that time. They were very good in those dry conditions. 😀
    Don’t leave them in after returning to UK though. Calderdale ate the remaining 50% within the first 10 miles. 😕

relliott6879
    Free Member

EBC Greenstuff. I’ve used them for years on bikes and cars in all conditions, they’ve never been anything less than fantastic.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Been a few times, never had any real issues with organic or sintered in either case. The only problem I had was with old brake fluid in my rear brake so my advice is to ensure you have fresh fluids!

BoardinBob

Started on sintered and moved to organic when I was in Morzine last year. Organics were much better and most importantly they didn’t squeal at all so everyone on the chairlifts couldn’t hear me mincing down the trails.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Alpine riding, Shimano cooking fat brakes’ is closed to new replies.