Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Alpine Five – anybody ridden one?
  • fireroadbandit
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a new 160ish AM bike over the Summer.
    I like the way Orange’s ride, but struggling to convince myself buying another Alpine is worth the weight + price difference over much lighter (and well-thought-out) stuff like enduros, slash’s, stereos, strives etc….

Coming off a 2011 Alpine and love it other than the weight which slightly takes the fun out of long xc rides.

The Alpine Five seems a good remedy to this problem as it should climb better with the reduced travel and bigger wheels, no?
    Also looks like it should be pretty fast pointed downhill

Wondering if anyone has ridden one and can compare to any other enduro machines, as online reviews are a bit scarce on them.

Will be used for dh,xc,enduro and dh racing… everything basically.

fireroadbandit
    Free Member

BUMP!

Shackleton

Long, unsubtle monster truck. Enormous fun on the right terrain but made most riding dh dull as it erased everything. Not the best in twisty stuff either, but destroyed open descents. Uphill OK but nothing spectacular.

Much prefer the behaviour of shorter travel hardcore 29ers (phantom, segment, 111, etc) for all of my riding over the long travel ones. Guess it depends on what you want it for. Having one bike to do everything from dh racing to xc is going to be…… tricky.

fireroadbandit
    Free Member

I have got a hardtail for tamer XC, but for most all-day-rides I end up wishing I was on my full-sus to make the most of it.
    Seems like a cube stereo or similar at £600 less than an alpine and over 5lbs lighter will be the way to go.
    Will have to get a few test rides in.
    Seem to remember my five always rode like it had a lot more than 140mm travel though…..

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got one which I’m selling – had it nearly a year now so time for a change…

Pretty much as above really, fantastic on big terrain, climbs well just not quickly, covers the miles easily enough but in the tight, twisty stuff it needs a lot of encouragement.

Having spent quite a bit of time on the older 26in Alpines I’d say the Alpine 5 is a much better all day bike as well as being more capable on the rough stuff.

I’ll do you my large black frame and Fox 34 140mm forks for £1200…

chestrockwell

I’ve got one and think it’s ace. Came from a 26″ 5 and the 29″ is so much more capable. Can’t say I noticed it being hard work in the twisty bits and it absolutely flies down hill.

As always, try one. On a demo day I went to the Alpine 5 was in constant use and everyone seemed to be impressed.

roverpig

If you like the way Orange’s ride, but find the Alpine 160 too burly then you might want to consider the new Five, it’s basically an Alpine-lite now.

The Alpine Five is even more of a trail smasher than the Alpine 160, although you could be right that it might be faster. There also seem to be some deals about now (maybe a sign that Orange are going to phase it out).

jamesross
    Free Member

I’ve got one and I love it! Having come from a Patriot I think the A5 is a huge step forward. I do w bit of everything on mine and the 29 inch wheels make it a mile muncher When commuting to work. It isn’t the lightest bike around but it pedals so well and is so comfortable that the weight isn’t really an issue. It is also a pretty long bike but doesn’t feel overly big on the trail. To sum up I am super happy with mine!

stephenmacdonald43
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the alpine 5 a few times i also own a 2014 alpine 160.
    i found that the a5 was like a f&*king rocket ship over rough stuff also seemed to have a lot more mid corner grip and off camber grip.
    it didn’t climb very well i could pedal it all day but would be hard keeping up with my mates on the ups anyway
    im also in the market for a new bike this is currently front runner.
    i need a test on a few more different bikes before i get one.
    hope this helps dude, get a test on one best way to decide 🙂

roverpig

On paper the Segment seems to offer a very similar geometry in a shorter travel package that should (in theory) climb better. No idea whether this is true in practice though.

rickon
    Free Member

The right question is where are you going to be riding?

If the answer is not:
    -Very steep descents
    -Very rocky descents
    -DH trails

Then the Alpine5 is the wrong bike.

I’ve had one for over a year now, its the best thing I’ve ridden.

However, its long, slack, big travel, heavy. I’m pretty fit and have no problem keeping up with most on short travel carbon bikes.

You have to work it to get the most out of it, if you just sit on it, it’ll feel dead and boingy.

Pumping it through furrows and diving it head first into massive catch berms is what its all about.

I’ve yet to hear anyone say the Segment makes sense and that they’d ride one instead of an A5.

fireroadbandit
    Free Member

I will be riding lots of XC and lots of DH, I ride the hardtail for tamer stuff like cannock, verderers etc.
    The alpine is a lot of fun, but slightly too much bike, very heavy and in my opinion really not a fantastic bike if you haven’t got it set up for DH.
    The new alpine may be different, will look to get a test.
    I used to have a five and loved it, but upgraded after a couple of years because the rear flex was ridiculous ( a qr swingarm), but now I have 160 mm of rear travel can’t help thinking it would make more sense to get something lighter and 160 given the amount of DH I ride.
    Plenty of food for thought.

Rickon fitness isn’t really an issue as I ride a lot of XC, but having a heavy bike does somewhat take the fun out of it.

Looking at the spesh enduro 29, it seems to be perfect, but I don’t want to sell my soul to the devil….

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’ve ridden a mates with new 36RC2s & a CCDB CS shock top spec components & I’m a Bronson lover but have to say it impressed me, OK it needs the shock I think, being single pivot, point it down & it was great, not the most efficient climber but you have the climb mode, if you like the way 5s ride then why not go for it.

Also mate popped Roval carbon Fatties Sl wheels & it was just mega.

Northwind

rickon – Member

The right question is where are you going to be riding?

If the answer is not:
    -Very steep descents
    -Very rocky descents
    -DH trails

Then the Alpine5 is the wrong bike.

FWIW I did 2 testrides, one at fort william and one at glentress, totally different terrain and it was bloomin awesome at both. Yes it is a big, big bike with no attempt to be anything else but I didn’t find it at all lacking on simple trails

rickon
    Free Member

Nope, but there are much better suited bikes if you’re just riding at trail centres.

Northwind

OK yes that is a very good point.

fireroadbandit
    Free Member

Nope, but there are much better suited bikes if you’re just riding at trail centres.

Very rarely ride trail centres to be honest.
    Seems very promising, I’ll try and get a demo!

jamesross
    Free Member

I think a demo is the best thing you can do. Do not be put off by the size/weight of the bike as it feels just right once you throw your leg over it.

roverpig

I’ve yet to hear anyone say the Segment makes sense and that they’d ride one instead of an A5

Is that from people who’ve ridden one though, or just based on the numbers? Based on the numbers I can’t see the sense of the Segment. It won’t be appreciably lighter than the Alpine Five nor are the chainstays significantly shorter (i.e. no more agile) so it looks as though you are just giving up 20-30mm of travel for no reason. But most of the reviews look positive and the muddymoles review specifically mentioned that it was better on the “pedally” sections than the Alpine Five.

Mind you, I suspect that comparing a Segment and an Alpine Five is rather splitting hairs.

travo
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s an Alpine five or not but the five seems pretty capable to me…
    that flippin five

roverpig

No, that’s its smaller wheeled brother. Mind you, the standard Five is probably the biggest argument against the Alpine (29er) version.

Personally I’m still on the 26″ version. I like Orange bikes, they suit me and where/how I ride and I can see the appeal of bigger wheels for all day comfort and mile munching. But even the 26″ version is a far more capable bike than I’ll ever need.

rickon
    Free Member

Is that from people who’ve ridden one though, or just based on the numbers?

That’s real world. If its not used in the same situations as you’d use the A5 for, then I’m sure it’d get much better reviews.

roverpig

That’s real world. If its not used in the same situations as you’d use the A5 for, then I’m sure it’d get much better reviews.

Those situations would be “-Very steep descents -Very rocky descents -DH trails” right?

OK, I think I get it (at last). If that’s not what you ride; say you just want a versatile trail bike but fancy the idea of a 29er (for all-day mile munching and a bit more skill-compensation on the descents), the Segment would be a better option. Even more so if you are interested in going a bit faster on the way up too. But for balls-out trail smashing it’s the Alpine Five all the way.

rickon
    Free Member

^^ Totally 🙂

I’m still tempted with the Segment, with a Pike up front and CCDB Inline to see if it tames down the backend.

Olly
    Free Member

at 6’4″ and all leg, ive come around to convincing myself that my 19″ frame, 26″ wheel reign is a bit on the small side for me. Said my next bike would be single pivot, and its British made. Asked the LBS to find one to “throw a leg over”. Hoping it will feel to me like a burly bike feels to most other people….

Anyone want a 2014 Giant reign?

rickon
    Free Member

Anyone want a 2014 Giant reign?

Renton to the thread! Renton to the thread!

😉

rickon
    Free Member

You’ll probably want an XL in the Alpine5

gibbonarms
    Free Member

If your considering the Alpine five, I’d also have a look at the OO Codeine, I’ve got both and they are excellent fun bikes in technical terrain.

Choose quickly though as the A5’s days are numbered with Orange, such a shame for a great bike.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

The clue is in the name, no?

Lummox

Good luck with an alpine five xl, I was looking at one until I discovered orange are no longer making xl five 29’s and also had no plans to update the frame ala five mk2 and also didn’t actually know where the future of the bike lay.

Have to say I was a bit deflated, looked at alpine 160 and new five but didn’t think the frames represented good value (with paint and shock upgrade) when compared to say for example Transition patrol- which I now have.

End of orange fanboy era for me

Marin
    Free Member

Bought Orange 5rs. So far been great on everything from uplift day, Snowdon, natural trails and local messing. Do it all for me.

chestrockwell

If you want a XL Alpine 5 this is the one.

http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b114s361p5137/ORANGE_Five_29_Pro_custom_colours_2014

Custom colour and £1000 off. Exactly the same frame as the A5 according to Orange.

Olly
    Free Member

Crikey, thats a saving (and in XL too)

Bit risky to blow that much without throwing a leg over first surely?
    horrific colour too!

fireroadbandit
    Free Member

Really can’t afford at the moment unfortunately.
    If they discontinue them I’ll demo the new alpine and five along with a few mainstream enduro bikes and see what all the fuss is about.
    Never ridden a linkage driven bike so really curious to see how they stack up against ye olde single pivot

Lummox

that link above only shows a large in manderin orange- has someone bought the XL?

chestrockwell

Must have done. I’ve been eyeing it up for ages and it was there this morning.

Olly
    Free Member

Yeah…. sorry about that. I’ll send you a photo.

Incidentally, my LBS rang back. Orange confirmed they are not making them anymore, but they did find an unpainted frame in their stock. £1500 in any colour you like I believe.

I turned it down. I dont need two.

jamesross
    Free Member

Olly let us all know how what you think about it once you have given it a good ride. I am genuinely shocked Orange are dropping this bike, I am proper chuffed with mine!

chestrockwell

I noticed you said the neon green was a horrific colour Olly….. If you want to swap it for a black one let me know. 😉

chestrockwell

Actually scrap that as I forgot mine was a L. 🙄 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Alpine Five – anybody ridden one?’ is closed to new replies.