Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Alpine Bikes – Independent?
  • stevious

I noticed in the recent publicity surrounding the new Alpine Bikes concern that they claim to be the biggest independent cycle retailer in Scotland.

I was under the impression that they were owned by the Tiso group – is this true or am I mistaken. And if they are part of the Tiso group, what do they mean by ‘independent’?

MSP

Would that be Tiso the intergalactic conglomerate monster corporation?

geoffj

They are owned by Tiso. I’m not sure what independent in this context means.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

buy one they are awesome i just did ;p

stevious

Ah well, at least one reply didn’t read the OP 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

20 years ago up here in aberdeen they were independant – local owner, same monkey’s in the shop….bit of craic and ride nights….

however i stopped using them a lot of years ago.

shoddy service, little incentive, corporate approach, not a lot of soul.

sold out to Tiso, hence not really independant….

stabilizers

As TLR says used to be independent with their branches making independent decisions like good club discounts but no more. I gave them a lot of business back then.
    I hope I dont hear ‘we do 20%’ on this forum.

AlasdairMc

They’re independent insofar as Tiso is still family-owned.

stevious

Hmm. Sounds like they went a bit ‘Edinburgh Co-op’ then. Shame.

I have to say, I’ve had some good service the few times I’ve used the Inverness store but I feel a bit suspicious of the company as a whole if they’re still claiming to be independent.

druidh
    Free Member

AlasdairMc – Member
    They’re independent insofar as Tiso is still family-owned.

As a definition, that works for me.

messiah
    Free Member

It’s a business, since when did it’s “independence” matter other than it’s something they say in the advertising to get you to buy sh!t from them rather than elsewhere?

13thfloormonk

Hmm. Sounds like they went a bit ‘Edinburgh Co-op’ then. Shame

Not really sure what that means, how are we defining ‘independent’?

EBC is still run (as far as I am aware) by the same people, from the same HQ. Not only that, but ‘shareholders’ are limited to any staff member who has worked there for more than a year. They are not owned by anyone, and the business is governed by a management that is ultimately answerable to the staff.

Are you perhaps confusing ‘independent’ with ‘more than one shop’ or ‘relatively successful’?

13th-exEBCemployee-floormonk

kaesae
    Free Member

Can anyone explain who tiso are?

13thfloormonk

A chain of outdoor shops, two in Edinburgh and others about Scotland.

Nice shops but a lot of people on here wouldn’t like them, they have the audacity to charge r.r.p. 😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Four in Edinburgh if you include the ones at Ratho and Alien Rock.

druidh
    Free Member

Graham Tiso was a very experienced mountaineer, climbing to a high standard in both summer and winter. In 1961, he met Maude who had just returned from working and climbing in Norway. Both were acutely aware of the lack of good equipment and clothing available in Scotland. By utilising his business skills, and first hand knowledge of technical equipment, Graham was sure he could fill this gap in the market.

In 1962 they began trading from the back room of a boat shop until they acquired their first shop in Rodney Street, Edinburgh later that year. Trading was brisk, and some premises nearby were soon required for storage and repairs. Banks were not as supportive to young businesses then as they are today, so it was not until 1973/74 that the company was able to acquire the larger warehouse/premises it required. Later in 1974, a shop was opened within the building at Wellington Place in Leith, with enough space to display tents and show a wider range of products. Since the Stirling store was opened in 1977 growth has been steady.

During these years Graham worked very hard to drive up standards and to encourage innovation in clothing equipment for the climbing and camping trade. The company now has 14 shops throughout Scotland, England and Northern Ireland and Chris Tiso, Graham and Maude’s son, is now at the helm.

Graham was a valued member of the Scottish Mountaineering Club, and was largely responsible for resolving the problems relating to guidebooks in the 70’s. That action resulted in the formation of the Scottish Mountaineering Trust, which has contributed large sums of money to restore and care for wild land.

We get so much out of the mountains, personally and business – wise, it seems right that we should put something back in.

stevious

Apologies 13fm – that was a flippant comment that implies I think a lot less of EBC than I actually do.

My expression of shame is just based on the lack of ‘atmosphere’ in the more polished bike shops. It really is just a superficial thing and I was just thinking out loud and it’s not a real criticism if I’m being honest.

I usually got great service in EBC when I lived around the corner, and I’ve no doubt I’ll get decent service in Alpine.

13thfloormonk

Nae worries, deep down I also prefer my bike shops dark and dingy and smelling of GT85 and tyres 😀

ojom
    Free Member

Nae worries, deep down I also prefer my bike shops dark and dingy and smelling of GT85 and tyres

GT85 = mechanics de-odorant.

p.s. your rings and saddle arrived.

13thfloormonk

I know, I got a positively jubilant message from Adam, telephone manner of the gods that guy 8)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Alpine Bikes – Independent?’ is closed to new replies.