Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Almax & Sold Secure
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Renewing my home insurance and the Allianz stipulate a Sold Secure Gold lock. The STW standard answer for chains is Almax, but despite showing the logo on their website, they don’t appear to be Sold Secure certified.

Can anyone recommend a chain/lock combo that is? Decent length preferred as it needs to go through three frames and the ground anchor.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Taken from Almax website:

The Almax Series III + IV have not only previously passed SOLD SECURE GOLD in all 6 catergories, but now also carry THATCHAM insurance & industry testing approval Cat 3.

Wouldn’t use anything else myself for valuable items.

vorlich
    Free Member

Yup, saw that, but try searching Almax over at sold secure. Not listed.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

It might be due to timing or subscriptions lapsing.

To give an analogy, I previously passed the Prince2 Practitioner exam. However I am not a registered Prince2 Practitioner any more because it was more than 2 years ago.

Or maybe companies have to bung Sold Secure money to stay registered.

Why not try Pragmasis, they seem to be the main alternative to Almax. I’ve had 3 chains from them and am just about to order a ground anchor once I can decide which fitting kit to get.

cheers

ononeorange

Can’t answer your question but I was very disappointed with almax customer service – I made a query three or four times and didn’t get an answer, just a vague “ring us sometime”. I was essentially saying that I have the cash ready to go, what do I need? Obviously didn’t need the business.

I went to pragmasis who were brilliant, couldn’t have been more helpful. Getting the chain home from the post office was flipping hard work though!

DT78
    Free Member

How about abus or kryptonite? Halfords have some deals on abus

Northwind

Pragmasis are good. Squire have some decent options too. I rather like Almax for the way they slate the competition when the competition deserves it but are happy to talk up Pragmasis, Squire and the old English Chain Co as good alternatives to their products.

If you just want to satisfy the insurance, that’s easy enough but the majority of Sold Secure/Thatcham/ART approved chains are no defence against anyone who has a clue, sadly, none of them are meaningful tests- all basically confidence tricks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Almax & Sold Secure’ is closed to new replies.